New Sails?

Dec 12, 2017
Catalina C 30 Lake Grapevine, Grapevine TX
I realize there must be other threads on this topic, but I can't find them.

Can someone refer me to those threads.

Or, if not - can you suggest the best vendor for Cat 30 replacement sails?

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
Who is going to give you the best PERSONAL service? To me that is the tale of the tape.

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
When we bought, Lady Lillie, I found three local sailmakers, each representing a known brand of sails. I asked each to give me a quote on a new mainsail her my model and year. Then I asked when they could visit our boat to assess the main, 110 genny, and 130 genny that came with the boat. The nearest one offered to meet me at the boat as soon as I was available. He recommended I replace the main and 110, but keep the 130 which was in good shape.

Then we talked about a sail for light wind. Once I convinced him I would only cruise our boat - racing was off the table - he recommended an asymmetric spinnaker for light winds. Then he spent some time taking me through details of how and when to fly each sail. He got the order, and has been my sail maker ever since, making another main and 110 when I wore the first ones out after 12 years. We still use the asymmetric and 130 when conditions call for them. He will store my sails through the winter, examining then to recommend any maintenance if needed.

So I vote for the value of a local sailmaker who can provide sails at a reasonable price, and consult with you to pick the right sails, learn to use them, and maintain them over time. Those services have a higher value to me than the lower price I might get on a mail order sail.

Aug 28, 2006
Bavaria 35E seattle
Yes, a local sailmaker is the best bet. But if you want to save money and buy sails at a cost-effective price for a standard boat, you might want to try sail warehouse in CA. Pricing is online. Or, FX sails or even sails through this SBO website. By "standard", I mean production boats with known measurements. I had good results for my old O'Day from Sail Warehouse that sells Rolly Tasker sails.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Who is going to give you the best PERSONAL service? To me that is the tale of the tape.
We have been looking at a new cruising headsail. We looked at a couple of lofts and will likely go with Precision Sails for this reason. Our friends used them and even put a custom graphic on their headsail. So far the people are extremely knowledgeable and professional. As cruisers our concerns are strength, a cut we can see around and sail shape when partially furled in. So they have been working with us on designing a sail that fits our needs. And cost is under $2k for what we are looking at so far.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Second vote for Precision, they did my head sail last winter and service was great.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I think it really depends on your finding a loft that will work with you.
In my area I asked boaters and riggers their ideas. I narrowed the possible choices. Then I called them and found a person I wanted to spend money with. This led me to Jack Christiansen of North Sail. He had the experience I wanted. Came out to the boat and spent 90 minutes measuring and checking my boat, the rigging, and discussing the type of sailing I was planning.

Then went to the office, plugged the numbers into his system and came back with 2 quotes and a recommendation. Based on the research I had done the recommendation was what I wanted. Price was not low balled. It was in the lower 30% of the range. Time to completion 45 days. In time for July sailing.

On the day of arrival, Jack brought the sail out. Helped me raise the sail, went over the trimming of the new sail. We worked both of the reefs and then put the sail away.

The result was excellent. Do I remember everything.. Impossible. But I have a person I can call. Plus if I screw up and tear the sail in the first year, I can call Jack and they will help with the repair.

That type of service in not possible buying a sail from a loft in China. You pay for what you get.

In the Pacific NW I would recommend Jack Christiansen at the Seattle North Sail Loft in a heartbeat.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
As the others have said, the best vender is one who comes to the boat, measures it and works with you in the design and helps install that.
For my O'day 25 that doubled the cost of new sails so I found an on line vender who worked with me, had me measure the boat, asked me a lot of questions, take a lot of pictures, a lot of back and forth and supplied a high quality sail that I was very happy with.

That was Hyde Sail Direct. The owner does post on the SBO forums. Do a search for member @DrJudyB . She has posted some very interesting threads on choosing new sails.

Before I found Judy I tried a sailmaker who seemed to be liked by many on the forums. He offered a new sail for a little less but built it to factory specs. Why I got it was cut wrong, I went through quite a bit of pain understanding why and then he wanted me to wait until the off season to correct. I learned my lesson that a lot of measurements were necessary.
When I need sails for the C30 I expect to go with Hyde Sails Direct again.

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
I have had great service from Mack sails. You have a pretty standard boat that most sail makers will have already made sails for your boat.

Jul 6, 2013
Catalina 30TR, Atomic 4 2480 Milwaukee
This year, I purchased an Ullman main sail through Catalina Direct. No need for measurements, because C30s are well known designs. Last fall, they were offering a good discount on orders for spring delivery.
Full battens, loose foot.
The old sail was in worse shape than I thought. Now it’s like learning to sail a different boat. Much more power than the old sail, excellent pointing.
I’m sure there are other good sailmakers, but this has been a good experience for me.

Aug 2, 2010
J-Boat J/88 Cobourg
I bought a new jib from North this spring and went with the Nordac sail. So much better than the stock sail that a new main will be ordered in the same material from North Sails. Very happy.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
I have had great service from Mack sails. You have a pretty standard boat that most sail makers will have already made sails for your boat.
That is true I general, but there can be inches in difference between identical boats. You cannot assume your dimensions are the same as mine. Measure carefully.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I had a superb experience with FX Sails. Not perfect - communication was poor at one point - but I got a really superior product at an unbeatable price: new main sail for my C36 Tall Rig:

Summary of features:

Challenge 7.3 High Aspect High Modulus sailcloth
Premium stitching throughout the sail (triple stitched) - Gore Tex thread
Aluminum headboard
Draft stripe
Leech line with Clamcleat
Leech telltales
Two reefs
Cunningham
4 full battens
Sail ties and sail bag
C36 class Insignia
Sail number xxx black both sides
Loose foot with clew slug
Tides Marine Strong Track slides to fit existing Strong Track

Made in the U.S.

Price: $1395 including UPS shipping. (This included a discount from Catalina 36 Association membership.)

That was 2016. This sail is fabulous. Like putting a new engine in a car.

I highly recommend them.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
That is true I general, but there can be inches in difference between identical boats. You cannot assume your dimensions are the same as mine. Measure carefully.
This.
You never know what changes POs may have made on your 25 yr old boat and if it was built to factory specs, what improvements can be made.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Measure yourself if you have to, measure by a sailmaker if you can. Don't go by standard measurements. A sailmaker is a professional, like a lawyer or accountant. You are not just paying for a sail. You are paying for his/her expertise, experience and knowledge. They can design in a better shape for areas known for light air, or heavy air. They can design a shape that can drive a cruising boat and point good enough for PHRF racing. It is an art.

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 380 16 Rochester NY
I bought a new jib and main sail from National Sail Supply. I don't race, keep close to shore on a Great Lake. The boat is 40 years old and the price seems to fit with the value of the boat. I've had no issues with them.