New sailor

Oct 2, 2017
Hunter 30 San Diego
Hello all, just wanted to let you know my latest news. Soooo excited.
After much walking around, asking as much as i could, reading as much as i could in a short time with all the books i got, I did it. Bought a boat in San Diego!!!

Catalina 30, 1983, inboard diesel Universal engine, 1600 miles. Bottom painted less than 2 years ago.
Surveyor, mechanic, diver, all gave very good reports, only small details to take care of, but they said they can wait, nothing serious nor major.

Owner had 3 boats and was desperate to sell, so he gave me a fantastic deal !!! $10,000 can you believe that ?? surveyor came back at $16,000, and thats not all: $2,000 down and $239 monthly for 3 years. ISNT THAT AWESOME !!!! Titled, insured, docked, checked, and am in the process of a huge cleaning since it was in a boatyard from dealer for over 10 months.

Owner also passed me his slip in Shelter Island Marina, so if anyone comes around, ill buy you a beer.
Thanks for your input since it really made me do more researching and questioning.
Thanks and hope to meet you one day somewhere in the world. My boat's name is perfect . VALIANT !!!
Cecilia

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
8D71ADCB-8755-4EB7-97CD-BD2C690A5C18.jpeg My boat is “FIREFLY,” and I hope we cross paths one day. Congratulations! And the adventure begins!

Jul 26, 2016
American Sail 18 MDR
Diesels are simple engines. They stop working because people do not maintain them correctly. They require ELECTRICITY TO CRANK, CLEAN FUEL, CLEAN OIL, CLEAN FUEL LINES AND CLEAN FUEL TANK WITH BIOCIDE IN FUEL AND PRESERVATIVES. They should also be run regularly at least once a week for at least 30 minutes. Fail to run regularly and she will stop working. Once a diesel is running it does not even need electricity as it has no spark plugs. Once running given all of above they will run almost forever or until a part breaks. I understand they have a half life of 4000 hours.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Empty the tank regularly... all the way... you get it! ;)

Oct 2, 2017
Hunter 30 San Diego
Hahahaha will do, thanks all for your good advice, really got me thinking, and better get the engine running tomorrow since it will be one week since we moved it to my slip. Have more questions but will get back.
Hugs.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
They should also be run regularly at least once a week for at least 30 minutes. Fail to run regularly and she will stop working
I don’t know about your Southern California diesels, but those of us in seasonal climates manage alright with 5+ month layovers. Otherwise, I agree they’re pretty simple, just clean fuel and air, and an oil change every season.

Welcome Cecilia, and enjoy the adventures!

Jul 26, 2016
American Sail 18 MDR
I don’t know about your Southern California diesels, but those of us in seasonal climates manage alright with 5+ month layovers. Otherwise, I agree they’re pretty simple, just clean fuel and air, and an oil change every season.

Welcome Cecilia, and enjoy the adventures!
Most people out here don't like to run their engines. That's why they run into problems along the way. The fuel get pretty stale after years of being parked without biocides or stabilizers. It's real easy to sail out of slip and sail back in.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Most people out here don't like to run their engines. That's why they run into problems along the way. The fuel get pretty stale after years of being parked without biocides or stabilizers. It's real easy to sail out of slip and sail back in.
I see. Well I agree that stale fuel is something to avoid. (Been there, done that)

Jul 29, 2017
Catalina 380 Los Angeles
Congratulations. My previous boat was a Catalina 30. Awesome boat. Have the fuel polished and your engine will treat you right. Welcome to the world of sailboat ownership. This is a fantastic place to ask the million and one questions you will have. I bought my current boat in San Diego and spent the better part of a month on Shelter Island getting her ready to sail to her current home port in Los Angeles. I loved it there and we plan on visiting there in the future for a week or so. Enjoy!!!