New Sailing Movie “Adrift” Out

Jan 2, 2017
O'Day & Islander 322 & 37 Scottsdale, AZ & Owls Head, ME
The Website “Kids in Mind” gave it a fairly decent 5,5,5 rating (sex, violence, language) so I put it in our Netflix “Save” queue. (We don’t go to the movie theaters anymore.) If anyone sees it and can give a critique, that would be helpful.

Apr 25, 2017
pearson 26 holland mi
the biggest thing i wanna mention is that its more about the psychology and mental stresses. the other bits are just to keep folks engaged. I enjoyed it and will see it again soon. I don't want to give anything away, but my gf was vehemently opposed to seeing it cause she didn't want to scare herself. when i explained to her the safety things they had or didn't have in place she was a LOT more comfortable because we already have much of it and we're still looking at only coast line sailing in the great lakes this year. :p

Jan 2, 2017
O'Day & Islander 322 & 37 Scottsdale, AZ & Owls Head, ME
Right Will. I started this thread before I saw the other one.

rbyham

May 28, 2012
Oday 23 Lanier
Saw it the other night. Well done. Very good acting. The sailing bits worked too. Obviously some big wave computer generated stuff but that too pretty well done. Sailing errors are visible but doubt they will bother anyone. As far as scaring other crew, I would not be overly concerned. I came away thinking it was more inspirational than scary though there is obviously some big time intensity to the storm parts... plus it is based accurately on a true story... hats off to the real people!

Nov 13, 2013
Catalina 34 Tacoma
I was in Friday Harbor Saturday and needed some interesting reading material as I cruised between the San Juan's and the Gulf Islands. I saw the book Adrift and it reminded me of this thread and others so I bought it. I haven't seen the movie but the book kept my interest for several days. It was a good mixture between chick flick romance and adventure. Great combination for a movie. I have to give the author Tami Oldham Ashcraft credit for making a decision at a young and impressionable age to follow her dreams vs the day to day rat race. She's a true sailor. Went on to get her 100 ton license. As I sailed back to Port Townsend and enjoyed the majestic views of Mount Baker and the Olympics, I noticed that voice she wrote about speaking to me too, Check the engine temperature, who's ahead and behind you, when's the current going to change. After the mast was gone along with all the latest electronics, sails and equipment most valuable tool that allowed her to survive was the voice.

Last edited: