New Sail - h27

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 27_75-84 Wilmington, NC
Hey, just got a used mail in 'excellent' shape from Bacon Sails in Annapolis for my 1984 h27. The new (to me) sail is heavier (6 oz. vs 5 oz. original) made by Shore Sail and is fully battened. The foot is 1 inch shorter than original but the luff is almost 18 inches shorter (29 ft vs. 30'6" orig). Can anyone advise me on what I might expect in terms of sailing characteristics with new set up?

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
You'll lose maybe what, 15% of your mainsail area?

Its also going to move the Center of Effort (CE) of your sailplan forward a bit. That will create a tendency for lee helm.. That might make the boats handling worse, or better it it had strong weather helm to start!

Jun 21, 2007
Hunter Cherubini 36_80-82 Sausalito / San Francisco Bay
Probably will do fine.

On my 1980 Cherubini Hunter 36, I've been using for several years now a used full battened mainsail ex a Catalina 36, standard rig. The foot is about 9" shorter than spec for my boat. And the luff is about 12" short (maybe a bit more).

Works fine. I've still got to reef it when the wind gets to the 15 kt range. I've not had tendency for lee helm -- still a safe weather helm with any sort of wind. My Genoa is a 135, so I've got plenty of sail area.

Our boats are mast head rigged, so the head sail is the main motive force for the boat anyway. My boat sails awful with just the main up. Even, with the official spec'd main sail. But does very well with only the head sail.

Since I got the Catalina sail, I did again try my "official" main sail to compare. Can't say that I noticed any real improvement. But it does look a bit more impressive with the head all the way to the top. I didn't keep it on because it's cut allows the boom to drop just below my 6'4" head height when I am in the cockpit. The Catalina sail's cut keeps the boom a few inches above head smack range. When I do eventually buy a new sail spec'd to my boat, I'll insist on a cut that keeps the boom safely high ... even if some performance is sacrificed!

Except in light winds, my guess is you probably won't notice any decrease in performance. Although you might be going a few 1/10's of a knot slower at most.

Jun 21, 2007
Hunter Cherubini 36_80-82 Sausalito / San Francisco Bay
... my guess is you probably won't notice any decrease in performance ...
re my above comment. Should've thought also to add that presumably your current sail is well past its prime. Your new main sail is in excellent condition. Old bigger sail performing poorly. New slightly smaller sail presumably performing almost as new. Must be some sort trade-off "balance" in that.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
Compared to what? Have you been sailing with original of 30.6 x 10 ? That is 163 sq. ft. Now with full battens you have reduced sail area to approx. 144. Unless you have a lot of experience and the original was still very good you won't notice the difference. Your CE is a lower and with the good shape from new and from battens it can only be better IMHO.

May 31, 2007
Hunter 37 cutter Blind River
I suspect you won't notice a thing - except less sail to hoist. Reality - we rarely sail with full main. Either the full main is up and the engine is running too, or the main is reefed. You will be reefing in a higher wind than with the full blown sail. Enjoy. And with the money savings, you can buy yourself some boat treats - or fuel when you wish you had the full sized sail.

Status
Not open for further replies.