Registered users don't see ads

New rudder stuffing box

Discussion in 'The Cherubini Hunters' started by Alctel, Mar 5, 2018. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. Alctel

Alctel

Joined Dec 13, 2013
    250 posts, 9 likes
    Hunter 36
    CA Victoria
    Has anyone else replaced their one? I searched but the latest post was from 10 years ago :\.

I've contacted Buck Algonquin to see if they can make one (though the shaft is 2"3/8 and they don't list that size on their website), has anyone had any luck elsewhere?

2. Jim Legere

Jim Legere

Joined Jun 8, 2004
    835 posts, 59 likes
    Hunter 37-cutter
    CA 44°38'15"N63°55'36"W
    What happened to yours?

3. Alctel

Alctel

Joined Dec 13, 2013
    250 posts, 9 likes
    Hunter 36
    CA Victoria
    It won't stop leaking, I've pulled it out and repacked it four times including with the goretex stuff.

The top looks like its corroded away a bit as well - it's not a perfect round circle anymore, has a slight 'bite' out of it

I tried Buck Algonquin and though they were very nice, they said they don't make them in that shaft size :(

4. Jim Legere

Jim Legere

Joined Jun 8, 2004
    835 posts, 59 likes
    Hunter 37-cutter
    CA 44°38'15"N63°55'36"W
    Well that sucks. I think its the same stuffing box on the H37C rudder shaft. I had mine out years ago and I believe that the original was made by Wilcox Crittenden who are out of business.

I would remove the rudder stuffing box from the boat and get it to the work bench or the machine shop. This is not trivial and is probably best done during a haul out. It may be that the gland ring - the part that tightens down on the packing with 3 bolts - is deformed or damaged. I am pretty sure it could be repaired, but worse case, a machine shop could make a new one. Alternately, this could possible be modified to work by cutting a recess for packing in it? And as an interim measure you might try some WPT Drip Less packing - its intended for smaller diameters , i.e. prop shaft, but I don't see why it wouldn't work for your rudder shaft. Keep us updated on how you fare.

5. Alctel

Alctel

Joined Dec 13, 2013
    250 posts, 9 likes
    Hunter 36
    CA Victoria
    Yup, I guess I'll have to pull it off and take it to a machine shop. Probably when the boat is out the water. Oh well!