New purchase and new sailor

May 9, 2013
Catalina 27 or 30 Alexandria
Jtuner119,
I am in the process of buying a Catalina 30 and have already placed a deposit on a slip in Herrington Harbour North. Hopefully the survey and sea trial will go well so I can tie up at the end of this month.

Sep 26, 2014
Catalina 30 mkI Herrington Harbor
Now that I have a launch date set and it comes closer and closer, I can't help the feeling that time is running out to make repairs. I need to paint the hull next week while she's still on the hard. Im gonna try to take care of that infamous Catalina smile and start painting.

image-1854227366.jpg

If I can't get the engine going, I'm gonna get a tow. I'm debating if I should try to sail part of the way or just get towed the whole way.

Sep 26, 2014
image-377863377.jpg

Spent most of the day working on the boat today. I managed to replace the transmission shifter cable. Sanded down the smile and applied some 3m 5200. Replaced the glow plugs but still can't get the engine to start. I think I need the adjust the valve clearances to the proper specs, since I didn't when I put the engine back together. I also had to push back my launch date a week so I can paint the bottom. I wish I knew more about Diesel engines. But worse case scenario, I'll just have to replace the damn engine. I just want to sail!

Nov 14, 2013
Catalina 30 MkI 1983 TRBS Westbrook, CT
View attachment 86968

Spent most of the day working on the boat today. I managed to replace the transmission shifter cable. Sanded down the smile and applied some 3m 5200. Replaced the glow plugs but still can't get the engine to start. I think I need the adjust the valve clearances to the proper specs, since I didn't when I put the engine back together. I also had to push back my launch date a week so I can paint the bottom. I wish I knew more about Diesel engines. But worse case scenario, I'll just have to replace the damn engine. I just want to sail!
Make sure to check the basics first. Are the batteries fully charged and cranking the engine fast enough? Make sure the fuel lines are well bleed, any little bit of air in the lines and the engine will not start. Good luck!

Sep 26, 2014
Make sure to check the basics first. Are the batteries fully charged and cranking the engine fast enough? Make sure the fuel lines are well bleed, any little bit of air in the lines and the engine will not start. Good luck!
I replaced the batteries over the winter. It's cranking the engine fine but I'm not sure how fast is fast enough. I've bled the fuel lines but I could probably bleed it more. Unfortunately, it's rare that I can get help with the boat and I need a second pair of hands to crank the engine while I bleed the fuel line. Today I managed to make it to the marina and work on the boat for only a couple of hours. I messed a little bit with the valve clearances and I think I'm making improvements. I can tell that it's almost there. But my lack of knowledge about diesels is holding it back. Considering that the engine wouldn't even crank when I first purchased the boat, I believe that I've made strides in bringing the engine back to life. I really need a professional diesel mechanic to check out and fine tune this thing. I'm almost at the limit of my capabilities to repair this engine. Not to say that I'm giving up. Just crying out for HELP!!.

Sep 26, 2014
get a remote starter. they are available at marine and automotive parts places. They will make the job MUCH easier.
That's a good idea but I don't think it's necessary. And I'm not going to purchase a remote starter just for that purpose. Something that would make the job easier is someone that actually knows what they're doing because I'm learning as I go.

Sep 26, 2014
good news. the ***** started. it ran and it ran like a champ. long story short, i held the glow plug button for at least 2 mins and cranked the *****. it took a while to get her running but the key thing is that she started and ran. woo hoo!!! unbelievable!!

Sep 26, 2014
image-669353614.jpg

i finished painting the first coat of anti-foul bottom paint today. if I have time, i'll put the second coat on tomorrow.

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
Great work and congratulations on the engine and bottom paint job. I admire your dedication to the tasks. Think of the sense of satisfaction you will have on your first day under sail!!!!

Nov 7, 2012
1978 Catalina 30 Wilbur-by-the-Sea
Looking good. Good work on the motor.

Assuming it's ablative put an extra bit on (3rd and 4th coat) on the leading edges of the bottom. We had the boatyard do the bottom of our C27 and they did not do this. After a year the you could tell the leading edges were were taking a beating, we had red bottom paint and the previous blue was showing on the chin of bow etc.

Sep 26, 2014
I would like to thank the sailboat owners community. When I first purchased my boat, last fall, I knew very little about boats. Through the help of many, I am almost at the reach of my goal. Which is to sail my own boat.

image-629240469.jpg

Sailing has always been my goal. I had and still do have high expectations on how this journey will go. As I read through this thread that I started, I can't help but laugh at how naive I really was. Little did I know how much work I would have to do.

image-726172117.jpg

image-504165431.jpg

image-353300202.jpg

image-3410301867.jpg

image-3153466259.jpg

image-4449917.jpg

image-3411795090.jpg

Little by little, I kept pushing and learned as I go. Still learning as I go. I will admit that I was hesitant and scared of what I had involved myself into. I started with a small repair list that kept branching out to other small repair lists. A feeling of accomplishment came over me every time I would make a repair.

image-620009713.jpg

image-4025169199.jpg

image-2361015909.jpg

Having to make all those little repairs however has forced me to know my systems much better. Can't complain about that. Though there are still plenty of repairs left to do, mostly cosmetic I hope, I am no longer fearful of such projects. I intended to end this thread with my first sail and the return of my boat back into the Chesapeake bay, after her 3 year hibernation. That day is almost here.

image-1709183431.jpg

Again I would like to thank the sailboat owners community for all the help and following me in this little journey. Hopefully this thread would inspire others in the future. I'll see you guys out on the bay. I just want to sail.

image-1392020855.jpg

Sep 26, 2014
Ran the engine for a solid hour yesterday. Warmed it up and made sure all systems were operating properly. At first I panicked because the bilge kept filling with what appeared to be antifreeze and water. My initial thought was that theres a major leak on the engine and water was just pouring out of the block. Then I realized that I had an open loop in the cooling lines (from water separator to water pump) and the water was being dumped right into the bilge instead of being returned into the block. Another lesson learned and another system figured out. Ran the engine again and checked for leaks. I couldnt find any so I checked the operation of the transmission. I recently replaced the transmission cable and havent had the chance to check its operation. Just as I suspected, the clearances were off. I can engage reverse but I didnt have forward drive. Simple solution. Adjust the cable throw clearance and another system can be crossed off the checklist.

Sep 26, 2014
image-3365748172.jpg

shes been sitting in wait for 3 years. i hope all goes well. its so close, my anxiety is through the roof. i just want to sail.

Sep 26, 2014
Been waiting and waiting and waiting and..........
I had a feeling that something was holding my boat from being launched. So i called the marina office and asked to confirm Im scheduled to be launched. They confirmed that I am on the schedule and that there was also a pending work order. I asked why is there anything pending when I've been ready to launch for a week. I've also cancelled any work orders requested through the marina and the contractor my self the week prior, to make sure everything was all clear for my launch. Needless to say I became quite irritated and upset to find out what was holding me back. The marina even told me that they were able to put boats in the water ahead of schedule. I find that hard to accept since my boat is still on the hard. I just want to sail!