New purchase and new sailor

Sep 26, 2014
Catalina 30 mkI Herrington Harbor
Hello to all sailboat owners. I'm new to this thread and new to sailing. I'm going to try and start a new thread about my new project. A 1982 Catalina 30 mkI tall rig, deep fin keel. It's currently in storage at Herrington Harbor and I hope to get her ready for next season. A little history about the boat. It's been sitting for about 3 years in storage. The previous owner took great care of it and upgraded a lot of the systems already. Unfortunately has left it neglected for about 3 years now. Good for me is that he's agreed to let me take it off his hands. My goal for this winter is to get her back in the water. The hull needs to be repainted. The deck has oxidation but no soft spots. The batteries need to be replaced. The engine, a universal atomic diesel, is not running. The port lights are leaking. Everything needs to be cleaned. And she can go back in the bay.
I've started to take the ports out. After I've sealed them back up, I plan to give her a wash down and start painting the bottom hull before winter. When it starts to get colder, I'll work on getting the engine running. I'll finish painting topside of the hull in the spring and patch the deck of some minor cracks on the gelcoat. Hopefully by starting this thread I can get some help and also help others.
Wish me luck guys!

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Some bottom paints will oxidize if left out of the water for a prolonged period. Make sure you paint in the Spring and follow the mfg's directions for when it has to go back in.

Good luck with the new boat

Sep 26, 2014
Thanks. Should I wait to paint the bottom hull til spring? I guess I can just start cleaning her out and washing off the dirt on deck.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Thanks. Should I wait to paint the bottom hull til spring? I guess I can just start cleaning her out and washing off the dirt on deck.
That's what most do. Once you have chosen the bottom paint you intend to use, read the application instructions which will specify max dry time.

Jun 29, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Gibsons
Jtuner;
Congrats on your purchase, you will find many helpful posts here, many of us have already done what needs to be done to your boat.
What Number?

Sep 26, 2014
What number? I'll post some pics this Sunday when I do some more work on it.

Feb 26, 2008
Catalina 30 Marathon, FL
First congratulations on your new baby. Today's bottom paints are pretty resilient. I've use Interlux Micron and Pettit Hydrocoat and never had a problem with being hauled out in the winter. You can talk directly with the factory reps for both companies at the upcoming Annapolis Sailboat show (Oct 9-13th). You'll also find lots of other stuff to spend money on! :D

Just make sure you plan you projects so you can take the boat sailing in the spring. You have to find time to enjoy her.

Sep 26, 2014
thanks jim. i am going to that show. the projects i have mentioned are the things i need to do to get her back in the water. the topside of the hull has interlux, i think, and the bottom has CPP plus ablative paint. the previous owner gave me half a gallon of bottom paint. i figure its enough for one coat and i'll put another coat or two with a different color.

Jan 6, 2010
JT,

There are many cleaners you can use for your bilge.

Never use Dawn as a cleaner. Pumping this overboard is illegal.
They have bilge cleaners at boating stores that will work albeit a bit pricy.

I use Tide detergent. I turn my bilge pump off, fill it 1/3 the way up, & go sailing for the day. You're on the hard so this first cleaning will be hand done. Fill it up with water & in your case a good cleaner & let it sit for abit. Alot will soften & be easier to clean.

If you can get the pump working or have a Wet-Vac, you can drain it. If using a pump, put a bucket on the bilge outlet to catch the drain water. Flush twice & you should be good to go.

In my in-water-boat case, I allow it to set for a day or two & a scrub brush later, it's pretty clean. I've a good size Wet-Vac & it goes easily.

CR

Feb 25, 2014
Catalina 30 Grand Lake. Wyandotte, Ok.
Congrats on the new purchase and welcome to the site. These guys here have lots of tips and will offer help any way they can.

Sep 26, 2014
Thanks for the tip captnron. I'll try that. Yes mortyd, it's a universal atomic diesel. The 5411. What would you suggest I replace it with? I was told it ran great before it went to storage. It may need a starter and an alternator. I'll find out after I change the batteries.
I used the Home Depot bucket top wet/dry vac to get the water out of the bilge. I'm going to scrub the inside and work on the port lights tomorrow. Pics tomorrow.

Jul 13, 2010
Precision 23 Perry Hall,Baltimore County
You can sail with rough paint. focus on the motor before it`s time to winterize.

Sep 26, 2014
the bilge actually wasnt that dirty. i used some liquid detergent and scrubbed it lightly. then i used the wet vac to suck all the water out.
i tried to reseal a couple of windows but im gonna have to do them over. that dow corning stuff is hard to clean.
the previous owner winterized the engine when he placed it in storage. both batteries are dead. i'll replace one soon so i can see what this engine is like.

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
Say jtuner119, I also have the 5411 UNIVERSAL ATOMIC DIESEL engine on my 1980, & know a good bit about it. If you have questions send me an email to my page.

Attachments

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
universal atomic diesel? i think not.
Ahhhh, I think so mate. In the late 70's to early 80's when Universal began making their early model diesel engines as the Atomic 4 was being phased out, they commonly badged & referred to their diesel engines as: Universal Atomic Diesel. This was because "Atomic" was famously associated with their company & had a bullet proof reputation for reliability.