New paint for Catalina 22

Dec 30, 2016
Catalina 22 Ventura
Hi all,

I'm looking into buying a used Catalina 22, I live in So Cal, and I am curious as to how much it might cost me (ballpark) to get a new paint job.

Any info helps!

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Suggest calling the yards as some have a specific price by foot or for the specific boat. It also depends a lot on what you want down to include the preparation, materials to be used and so forth. I would also ask what type of paint to be used for anti fouling if that is the case and whether or not fixed keel or swing keel makes a difference. In some cases there be addl. work regarding repairs, therefore, without further information, it will be a crap shoot for advice unless you can further advise. I was a former Catalina dealer here on the east coast.

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
Having a C22 painted professionally will cost more than the boat is worth... trust me. See my resto thread, my 82 C22 is all painted, hull and decks. At the end of the day its not worth it, and the ability to fix scratches or other wear and tear is much more difficult than gelcoat.
Save your money and buy a boat that doesn't need paint... And BTW, you would be amazed at how even the worst looking gelcoat can be refurbished. Try to avoid lots of nasty spider cracks (crazing), but even those can be addressed.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Yep! I'm with @CloudDiver on this one...

... and you can go to my album page as well and see several of my boat restorations. Also do a search on this site for "roll and tip" suggestions. You can get a 90% professional looking job for 5% of the cost. That last 10% really costs a lot.... :rolleyes:

Nov 9, 2008
Pearson-O'Day 290 Portland Maine
Asills,
Is the hull painted presently? If not, is it just dull and lifeless? (sounds like a Pantene commercial) If so, your best bet is to buy a nice ($200) buffer with the right compounds, a few cases of beer and call your buds over for a buffing party. I regret ever painting my boat. For the same time of sanding, prep, taping, priming, painting, running for more paint, more beer . . . OY! If I had just buffed it back to life it would look marvelous now and not NEED a new paint job every few years.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I think we need to know what he is painting first as Siamese pointed out before going any further with this thread.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I did half the hull on Sunday. It was very chalky and oxidized, rubbing your hand over it would come out white. The worst spot I started with 800 wet, then everything got 1000, 1200, heavy oxidation and cutting compound, polish, and finally a wax and fine polish. 8 hours with no breaks. Marine 31 material. It doesn't shine like a mirror but you can see reflections in it. Now for the starboard side weather permitting. And this is on a C36 so more ladder work and more area than a C22. Just keep the sander/buffer moving clean really well between grits. Oh and don't try and sand out stains sand to remove the oxide on first go then to remove scratches from previous steps. Going after stains is a good way to go thru the gell coat

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Leslie Troyer;
I use to use comet mildly and then washed off with a dish detergent water and used a low speed buffer using Finese It designed for gel coat. Does a pretty good job without hand sanding. Then washed off and then used a cleaner wax. For added protection we used Melguirs Pure Wax.