New P42 Owner needs electric help

May 20, 2017
Hunter 42' Passage St. Petersburg
Jim, hello. Just a word of caution. I would NOT install the solenoid in the spot where the exhaust switch is. Think about it for a minute. Something goes wrong and the only way to turn off the LPG is by reaching OVER the stove? Not me. I installed mine over by the companionway. I also have a fire extinguisher in the same spot. You want to be *away* from a runaway stove fire and once the propane is turned off then grab the extinguisher. I recently watched 2 people battle a galley fire - not good. Another useful thing is to always reduce the flame to lowest possible, then turn off the stove by turning off the solenoid and letting the residual gas burn out and then turning off the stove burner. Always keep the solenoid turned off unless actively cooking. Glad you got your lights all working. (also, when it's raining and you want to cook, that fan is a blessing, your gem of a wife will thank you for it....)
PS you can't put a propane locker in the lazarette for the same reason you can't put the tanks in there. There is no vent hole low enough to allow the propane to not build up in the event of a leak unless you want to go punching more holes in the boat. The only solution is deck mounted lockers with holes close to or on the bottom.

Last edited:
May 23, 2013
Hunter H42 Passage East Chicago and Hammond
I am not sure whether to start a new thread or not. But moving onto my next project (one I can live without, but not GF). Marine Air heat/AC unit will not start. 1991 Hunter 42 Passage my front AC unit will not start. I am pretty sure it is the start capacitor but do not know where it is located (in the box near the AC unit?). Has anyone had to replace their capacitors? Also I need the rotary "off-run-start" 3 way switch on the aft cabin VR9k-H unit. Any idea where to get that at?
Mike

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Has anyone had to replace their capacitors? Also I need the rotary "off-run-start" 3 way switch on the aft cabin VR9k-H unit. Any idea where to get that at?
Hi Mike, sorry but not much help here. Both of our 1991 MarineAir units still operate. Not used much here over the years, but do come in handy during the winter months while at the dock.

Jan 1, 2014
Hunter 42 Upper Chesapeake
Sounds like you fixed it. I messed around for sometime putting a new port light in. The starboard seemed to work.

Long story short my varying voltage issue was a bad ground. Once fixed lights worked. It was perplexing as the lights are running off the same power source but not port light and as it turned out a very dim starboard

May 23, 2013
Hunter H42 Passage East Chicago and Hammond
Sounds like you fixed it. I messed around for sometime putting a new port light in. The starboard seemed to work.

Long story short my varying voltage issue was a bad ground. Once fixed lights worked. It was perplexing as the lights are running off the same power source but not port light and as it turned out a very dim starboard

Ha, you have nothing on me...this weekend finally tackled the cockpit light that stayed on all the time and kept beat with the music. Other cockpit light never worked....... P.O. had the negative of the battery tied to the speaker and the negative side of stereo wire tied to light. The Positive off breaker went to the light then the switch in cockpit then onto the other port cockpit light.