New owner questions

Rxsail

Mar 25, 2018
Hunter 30T Lake Norman
Hunter 30T 1992, I have ordered a new Jabesco manual toilet. The bolt pattern appears identical but are there nuts that have to be reached below? I see now way to get under the floor without tearing up a lot!

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
All marine toilets are mounted using lag bolts...no nuts to remove, just back out the bolts.

Even though the mounting bolt patterns are identical, it still would be a good idea to fill the holes and re-drill 'em...'cuz the new bolts are made in China where attention to the smallest detail can be unreliable, and even the slightest variable in bolt diameter vs the size of the hole can leave you with a wobbly toilet.

I'll be glad to help you through your sanitation system learning curve, so please feel free to ask "should I do this?" instead of "is that what I should have done?" cuz it's always easier and cheaper to do anything right the first time than it is to do it over.

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein

Aug 27, 2012
Hunter Passage 42 RHKYC Hong Kong China
All marine toilets are mounted using lag bolts...no nuts to remove, just back out the bolts.

Even though the mounting bolt patterns are identical, it still would be a good idea to fill the holes and re-drill 'em...'cuz the new bolts are made in China where attention to the smallest detail can be unreliable, and even the slightest variable in bolt diameter vs the size of the hole can leave you with a wobbly toilet.

I'll be glad to help you through your sanitation system learning curve, so please feel free to ask "should I do this?" instead of "is that what I should have done?" cuz it's always easier and cheaper to do anything right the first time than it is to do it over.

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein
Peggy/RX Sail
Firstly, you are right they are bolts and can be removed but if you have any doubts then clean them up and reuse them for the new toilet and that way you will not have any issues with the size of the holes - so mark where each bolt comes from, and then it is even easier.
Second point is: I have lived in Hong Kong and therefore China for nearly 40 years and I object to your casual remark that the Chinese cannot make 'identical' things or things that 'fit'. Please check on all of the marine things that you buy for your boat and you will find that we have been building the parts in China for years especially the electronics etc. I have found over the 21 years that I have owned my Hunter Passage 42 that there are many things "manufactured" or at least " cobbled together" by the manufacturers in Florida, which are to say the least, "beyond belief". So please, China has earned billions from you via Walmart etc., so credit where credit is due, please.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
+1 on asking Peggie *before* making mistakes. She’s “da man” when it comes to all things toilet.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Please, when it comes to toilets, Peggy adds sophistication and class, so it is"toilette" not "toilet"
I do appreciate the compliment, Will...but except in archaic British English "toilette" isn't a fancy way to spell toilet, it's "the process of washing oneself, dressing, and attending to one's appearance." It's the reason why soap, shampoo, and toothpaste etc--all the things you use in that process--are called "toiletries." Eau de toilette, also known as toilet water isn't the water in the bowl, it's a lightly scented cologne that has a high alcohol content used as a skin freshener, usually applied directly to the skin after bathing or shaving.

And btw, RX...you might want to check out the link in my signature. The title is a bit misleading...it's actually a comprehensive "sanitation system 101 manual" that also deals with odors and will help you learn how to prevent most problems instead of having to cure 'em. I'm always glad to answer any questions it doesn't.

Peggie

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Peggie helped me solve a problem that was absolutely totally 100% unrelated to my toilet system. I woulda bet Will Gilmore’s fortune that it was. Peggie assured me it wasn’t. Will should thank me for not betting his fortune.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Peggie helped me solve a problem that was absolutely totally 100% unrelated to my toilet system. I woulda bet Will Gilmore’s fortune that it was. Peggie assured me it wasn’t. Will should thank me for not betting his fortune.
$21.67

- Will (Dragonfly)

Rxsail

Mar 25, 2018
Hunter 30T Lake Norman
If I could ask another question, it seems that my fuel tank is terminally dirty. My diesel mechanic thinks that cleaning it will be almost impossible and has suggested removing it and replacing it with a new custom made tank (easier to install and maintain). It has clogged and starved the engine twice (once with me, and once with the former owner who supposedly paid to have the tank cleaned).
Thoughts?

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
Your best move is to find a local contractor that does "fuel polishing".

Alternately , you could try to clean out the tank yourself. I've done it. I start by removing the fuel gauge sender & vacuuming out as much crud as possible using a venturi vacuum, after a quick hit with soap & water. Then I make use of some long handled brushes & vacuum again. Then I put in a few gallons of fresh fuel & run a pump to recirculate it through a filter for as long as it takes to get the fuel clear. I slosh the tank around while this is happening. Sometimes it takes a few days to finish. Sometimes you get lucky & it only takes a few hours. Often you need to change the filter a few times.

I got all my hoses, pump, filter housing, etc from a local shop called Mako Hose. There are probably also online sources out there.

Last edited: