New owner of an old 192

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 192 Washington
I owned a Mac 25 from 2001-2009- destroyed in a storm, and not replaced. This summer a friend picked up an O'Day 192 on Craigslist and asked if I would show him how to sail. He tried to rig it in his driveway without me and got frustrated- and it was going back on Craigslist before I stepped in and picked it up for cheap- sight unseen. I trailered it home tonight and am going to try to rig it in the driveway this week. Supposedly its all there including a roller for the jib. I stripped the MacGregor before the insurance salvage guys took her back in 09, so I have lots of random spare gear. Any photos or descriptions of a properly rigged 192 would be appreciated- I'm not finding much online.

I've only ever sailed a mac 25. How does a 192 handle?

Dec 27, 2012
Precision Precision 28 St Augustine
I believe the 192 is a smaller version of the 222. The rigging is probably very similar if not the same. If you can’t find what you need through googling 192 information try 222.

Congrats and best of luck

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Search this form for user "Trinkka." That was Joe Alves profile. He had a 222 and made albums of many projects on his boat. She will handle pretty lively, and steers much like a dinghy, but with the benefit of the ballast. On a run DDW, I have steered her by moving from side to side. Going forward always causes a change in direction. Rigging a Wave Front Marine Tiller Clutch makes all the difference in the world for being able to singlehand. You'll see other info in my reply to your private message.

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 192 Washington
Thanks guys for all of the good information. Exactly what I needed. I was able to get under the boat for the first time last evening and found a missing bolt for the centerboard "keeper", and a crack in the centerboard of unknown severity. I searched Trekka per Brian's advice, and I found some great information on how to drop the board... not sure I have the necessary gear at my disposal, but at least I can see how it's done. As much as I would like to drop the board and assess the pendant and pin, I don't think I'll be able to get that done soon.

Attachments