New owner of a Macgregor Venture 25 1977

Feb 13, 2016
macgreggor venture 224 ohio river
Comfort belongs to the one there. Dial up internet worked for me but not so much for everyone else. Enjoy yourself not someone else's

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
I would argue the point about carbs vs fuel injection, and roller reefing, not because there arent better ways developed for this, but because sometimes it is either all we have at the time or its the most dependable for the circumstances.
the bias ply vs radials is just old technology vs new tecnology, and not even in the same category for discussion, but even then, large tires in extreme rough service duty, the bias can be a much better, longer lasting tire than the radial.....:biggrin::biggrin:
I was being sarcastic in my comparisons :) . I do have a hot rod friend who swears that carbs are better than fi however :banghead: :)

Feb 13, 2016
Yes carbs all the way unless your worried about fuel economy, that throaty sound can't be beat!

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
I was being sarcastic in my comparisons :) . I do have a hot rod friend who swears that carbs are better than fi however :banghead: :)
yea, I know...I took no offence, and meant none:)
it doesnt make any difference what anyone says, or how they say it, or who says it, there is always something that can be added, taken away, or argued.... its all good as long as the information is in context and correct;)

Feb 13, 2016
Good start, I did mine over the winter time. Had inside stripped and painted in one week, then outside stripped and painted in a week,at that point I thought this is easy and then the rest took 4 months rebedding everything and making things how I wanted.

May 30, 2016
Macgregor 25 LakeSide Ohio
Today I got my motor ;).
I picked the Suzuki 9.9, the model is DF9.9BTX. It has an extra long shaft 25", electric start, power tilt, remote control, High thrust prop 4x10x5, EFI, external fuel tank and an alternator to charge the battery.
I am concerned about the weight, it is 120 lb.
So I have a question for you guys. What outboard do you have? The weight?, what type of prop?
Thanks
Pascal

Attachments

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
dont be concerned about the weight of the motor so much, but be concered with finding a way to mount it to the boat solidly.... with a good sturdy bracket and a way to spread the load on the fiberglass skin of the transom...

I have an older honda 10hp which weighs about the same as yours, but I built my own mounting system to support it better on the hull..

Feb 13, 2016
Agree no worries on weight, I have a 16"x16" fiberglassed inside Stern and same outside, bolted on my motor mount and off I go, hauled so far about 600 miles and no problems, my motor is about 100 lb.

hook

Apr 1, 2016
macgregor 25 monroe mi.
Agree no worries on weight, I have a 16"x16" fiberglassed inside Stern and same outside, bolted on my motor mount and off I go, hauled so far about 600 miles and no problems, my motor is about 100 lb.
I was told that removing the motor while towing was the best idea. Do many of y'all leave the motor mounted?

hook

Apr 1, 2016
macgregor 25 monroe mi.
Tongue weight? On the trailer? I'm sure I'm alright there. I'm worried about stressing the transom.

Feb 13, 2016
I see no difference in mine but like I said earlier I have the plywood inside and out that my mount bolts to distribute the weight

Apr 19, 2012
O'Day Daysailor 17 Nevis MN
I have an identical outboard. I just installed it last summer and love it.

I agree the weight on the transom isn't a problem as song as it's secure. Some Ventures came with a motor well and others had a bracket. If you have the motor well you're in good shape. If you have a bracket just be sure it's strong enough.

As far as the trailer tongue weight. If it's too light your trailer will fishtail. With my V-222 I had to move the outboard to just below the bow otherwise the boat would try to steer my truck.

Feb 5, 2010
MacGregor 25 Oroville, WA
I was told that removing the motor while towing was the best idea. Do many of y'all leave the motor mounted?
I splattered an outboard on the highway once when the mount failed on my V21. Once was enough. I always remove the motor for traveling.

Apr 19, 2012
O'Day Daysailor 17 Nevis MN
I splattered an outboard on the highway once when the mount failed on my V21. Once was enough. I always remove the motor for traveling.
When I had my Honda BF100 I would remove it for towing. My new outboard weighs another 30 pounds and with all the control connections it would add a couple of hours to set-up and tear-down. If I stayed in a slip that wouldn't be a problem but since I trailer her everywhere that's not an option.

May 16, 2011
Macgregor V-25 Charlton, MA- Trailer
I used to take it off. Was a real PIA with the electric cables and all. I trailer with mine on all the time. I never take it off now. I use a ratchet strap to the port cleat fastened to the motor mount to snug it up to the boat. That takes the strain off the transom. Real nice motor!! Perfect choice. I still have the stock mount. Hate it. Next year I'm going to replace it and firm up the transom as well. What did you use to beef yours up Centerline? The stock mount is basically a small piece of 1/2" ply that is glassed over. There is a lot of flex. Actually there is a lot of flex all over the boat. They are thin.
I have my spare mounted on the front of the trailer to offset the weight of the motor.
I actually leave my rudder on as well. I know, bad. But I have it fastened to the cleats as well and a system that works holding it up. Rubber bungee/ torsion strap that give the lower part some spring to alleviate shock loading. I have to trailer everywhere so set up time is important. Take me about 20 minutes at the ramp to have sails on and floating. The closest ramp is Narragansett bay at approx 70 mi. I trailer at least 1000 mi per season. Only issue I have had is having one of the trailer tires pass me on the Mass Pike on a busy Father's Day afternoon. That sucked.

Ken B.
CMDRE - NETS

Oct 31, 2017
Macgregor 25 Somerville
Hi, nice boat! I just got a 1984 Macgregor 25, for a song from a backyard in NH. Mine is a nice boat, a time capsul that had two owners before me, the first sailed inland in fresh water, the second left the boat in that back yard, since 2000 or so, more than 16 years in one place.
I think that I would prefer a Venture however, on the basis that the keel is heavier / displacement ratio is higher, I've read that the construction of the boat is also a bit heavier and that there is no liner so that there is direct access to the hull of a Venture, but not in the Macgregors. I'm not sure about anything except that the keel must be the 800 lbs (Venture) versus the 650 lbs (Macgregor). I can see that you venture windows have an aluminum frame, which make the attachment mechanical not adhesive and it would be more expensive and repairable than adhesive. I can see that your Venture galley is formed into a nice location and that it includes a stove. I like that much better than the Macgregor 25 galley solution (just a box with a very small molded sink).
For folks like me who want a little more off-shore range and a little more self-righting / range of stability and a little more structural strength, I think that the Venture 25s are a little bit better than the Macgregor 25s...

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
Just for the sake of argument------
Bias tires work best on single axle trailers ?
Can you start a efi engine if the battery is dead (rope start) if necessary?

Jan 31, 2013
MacGregor Mac26X Trailer sailing for adventure,
Don't bother installing a wheel on a M25. You will degrade the sailing experience. M25 has nice feedback via the tiller. Get a tiller autopilot if you feel the need to spend money on a worthy project. Go sailing. Tune the rake of the mast. After all that you will start pondering new crisp not stretched blown out sails........