Registered users don't see ads

New Owner of 1989 Catalina 30 MKII

Discussion in 'Catalina 30' started by R C Albin, Dec 12, 2017. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. R C Albin

R C Albin

Joined Dec 12, 2017
    11 posts, 0 likes
    Catalina C 30
    Ciao US Grapevine, TX Lake Grapevine, Grapevine TX
    I'm sure there is a thread here somewhere, but my searches didn't find it.

Just purchased my 1989 C30 MKII and was wondering if someone could point me to some threads or links which discuss the systems and operation common to this boat?

Would appreciate any help you might be able to offer.

Thanks...

2. jssailem

jssailem

Joined Oct 22, 2014
    3,761 posts, 855 likes
    CAL 35 Cruiser
    US Salem, Moored Port Everett WA

3. Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson

Joined Feb 26, 2004
    19,564 posts, 394 likes
    Catalina 34
    US Maple Bay, BC, Canada
    There are actually two or three Catalina 30 websites, in addition to the link John provided here on this forum. Google is your friend in finding them, if you haven't already. One or more of them should have the owners manual, actually a very handy and useful document, should be reread yearly by owners. In addition to that your boat and mine have almost identical systems, so poke around our C34 website, forum and a wiki, for other system Q&As.

Congratulations on your new boat! Happy New Year!

4. LeslieTroyer

LeslieTroyer

Joined May 20, 2016
    1,013 posts, 213 likes
    Catalina 36 MK1
    US Sammamish, WA Everett, WA
    @Stu Jackson was a little bashful in promoting the Catalina International Association -- he has written articles in their quarterly Magazine - Mainsheet since God was a little boy. http://www.catalina30.com/ joining there gets you quite a few benefits - I know our 36 org loans tools like prop and cutlass pullers, keel bolt torque kits.... So look what the 30 group offers - it might just save you a ton of $$

Les

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  5. Ward H

Ward H

Joined Nov 7, 2011
    1,524 posts, 106 likes
    Catalina 30 Mk II
    US Barnegat, NJ
    Welcome to SBO RC!
    I just purchased a 93 C30 the beginning of Nov. When I got interested in the C30 back in August I went to the Catalina 30 forum on this site. I went to the last page of threads, #139, and have been working my way forward. I'm on page 67.
    I have found the answers to most of my questions so far. And some posters will post links to other sites with good information which will help C30 owners.
    Stu frequently will post links to threads and articles on the C34.org web site. AS Stu said, that site has a wealth of information on systems common among the C30, C34 and C36 boats. Especially pertaining to the diesels. I can get stuck on a thread on this sites Catalina 30 forum for a few days as I follow links to other /threads/sites and more links within those threads/sites.
    As well as the catalina30.com association site Les mentions and the C34.org site there is a Catalina 30 Yahoo group which seems pretty active. I personally have trouble following the Yahoo groups message flow.
    Even though Stu says you can find the owners manual on some of those sites, I never could so I bought it from Catalina Direct.
    Enjoy!!

6. JohnVTX

JohnVTX

Joined Jul 14, 2015
    831 posts, 130 likes
    Catalina 30
    US Georgetown, TX Stillhouse Hollow Marina
    Welcome

7. R C Albin

R C Albin

Joined Dec 12, 2017
    11 posts, 0 likes
    Catalina C 30
    Hello to all... and thanks to all who have responded so far.

Think I'm going to like the C30 for day sails on a medium size lake in DFW area - Lake Grapevine - just the right size without a huge investment. Very nice one owner in great condition. Very easy boat to sail - even by only one person.

And it doesn't hurt that its in a nice marina only 10 minutes away.

8. mortyd

mortyd

Joined Dec 11, 2004
    914 posts, 8 likes
    Catalina 30
    US easy living
    if you don't have one, the first thing i suggest is you hunt up an owners manual - an invaluable resource. then read it. also an engine manual.

9. R C Albin

R C Albin

Joined Dec 12, 2017
    11 posts, 0 likes
    Catalina C 30
    Yes... I found the owners manuals and went through them... and... they are helpful... if not perfectly accurate in all instances. Also - have a great "Rigger" as a neighbor at the marina, who has been very helpful. An "old salty dog" who holds a captains license with USCG, who's sailed the Caribbean Islands 25-30 times - he knows the Catalina 30 (which he has also) in all respects. Very helpful!

10. jssailem

jssailem

Joined Oct 22, 2014
    3,761 posts, 855 likes
    CAL 35 Cruiser
    US Salem, Moored Port Everett WA
    Sometimes it is good to befriend the old salty dog. They often subsist on fine rum. Listen and you’ll learn the secrets of the deep.

11. mortyd

mortyd

Joined Dec 11, 2004
    914 posts, 8 likes
    Catalina 30
    US easy living
    please clarify on the inaccuracies, since i depend on mine.

12. Ward H

Ward H

Joined Nov 7, 2011
    1,524 posts, 106 likes
    Catalina 30 Mk II
    US Barnegat, NJ
    Yep, very important. Especially when he also owns a C30.
    As to the inaccuracies of the manual, there have been many improvements made to the C30 so it needs to be understood that the manual may not show your specific boat details/year but it is good for general information.

13. jeepbluetj

jeepbluetj

Joined Jan 18, 2016
    379 posts, 91 likes
    Catalina 30
    US SoCal Dana Point
    Frankly, many boats aren't as Catalina made them anymore. Mine's not. I've got a different traveler, different rigging on the main sheet, and Gerry D. never though about an asym spin when he designed the C-30 but I fly mine quite a bit, etc.. So some of what you may want to know will fall down to "figure out how this xxxx thing works."

Systems are pretty simple and share a lot with the C-27 and C-34 fleets. Stu's links are always very good. Rigging is whatever works. Parts are completely available here (SBO) or Catalina Direct if SBO doesn't have it. There are at least 10 other folks in your marina with a C-30 - so make friends. On just my finger in the marina there are 5 C-30s. 5. I think maybe 10 total sailboats (and 20 or so powerboats) - yup, the C-30 is a popular boat.

Oh, and it's winter. We (SBO forumites) have been reduced to looking for cars in pictures of snails, so we may really wanna talk sailing. So feel free to ask here. Lotsa folks not doing anything will be happy to respond. Heck, I'm at the end of 2 wks of Santa Ana's and am in massive withdrawal from sailing. Think I'll go this weekend no matter what. Looked at the log and it's been 20+ days since my last sail... gotta take the boat out.

The C-30 is indeed a fantastic boat. It's a great day sailor, hellava good weekender, terrible bluewater boat. Sails well, is forgiving, and will never set any speed records. But it's that fantastic "middle-of-the-pack" combination that made it the #1 produced inboard sailboat of all time.

14. R C Albin

R C Albin

Joined Dec 12, 2017
    11 posts, 0 likes
    Catalina C 30
    Thanks again to all of you.

Another quick question, not covered in the manual, or any site on line I've been able to find. Likely obvious to anyone who knows the electrical system on the '89 Cat30.

What is the red rocker switch on the electrical panel, right below the round battery selector switch? When should it be set to "on" or "off"?

I'm on shore power right now, and it's set to "on," but have no idea whether that's correct.

Thanks...

15. Ron20324

Ron20324

Joined Jan 22, 2008
    5,812 posts, 427 likes
    Beneteau 323
    US Annapolis MD
    My slip neighbor had a C30, and IIRC, that switch lets you look at the 2 battery voltages? Like a SPDT switch?

16. Ward H

Ward H

Joined Nov 7, 2011
    1,524 posts, 106 likes
    Catalina 30 Mk II
    US Barnegat, NJ
    A photo will really help in identifying the switch. On my 93 I have a DC "Service On" light under the battery selector switch but no rocker switches in that location. To the right of the battery selector switch is the rocker switch to shows battery voltage for bat 1 and bat 2. It is directly under the Volt Meter.

17. R C Albin

R C Albin

Joined Dec 12, 2017
    11 posts, 0 likes
    Catalina C 30
    Here's the photo. The red rocker switch is directly below the round battery switch.

Attached Files:

18. Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson

Joined Feb 26, 2004
    19,564 posts, 394 likes
    Catalina 34
    US Maple Bay, BC, Canada
    That's not a rocker switch, it's a light. And they are notorious for burning out. I replaced mine, and when it, too, died, I just forgot about it. I also have yet another replacement (I bought two, back when...) but I'm in no hurry to do it again, and I live behind my panel most of the time - I'm very familiar with the "guts." :)

Either don't bother, or find a 24V light which will not burn out.

Your boat, your choice. :)

19. R C Albin

R C Albin

Joined Dec 12, 2017
    11 posts, 0 likes
    Catalina C 30
    Actually it is a rocker switch - "on" is to the right, and "off" is to the left - it does switch back and forth. Enlarge the pic and take a close look at it.

Someone did say they changed it to a fixed light in later models.

20. R C Albin

R C Albin

Joined Dec 12, 2017
    11 posts, 0 likes
    Catalina C 30
    Are you saying it really doesn't function as a switch, even though it is a rocker switch - it just functions as a light?
    And... the light is on, when the battery switch above is set to 1, 2, or All - and, the light is off, when the battery switch is set to "off?"

Too hot? INSTANT BIMINI ESTIMATES
Low prices, custom fit, no-wait estimates
NEW, updated Get Rid of Boat Odors
The bible of marine toilets and plumbing, expanded and updated for 2016!
Turn any toilet into a Raritan for a fraction of the cost
The Raritan LBA matches your existing bowl with the pump/plumbing of a PHII or PHC. save!
Stainless documentation placard
Who said a documentation placard cant be beautiful? Brushed stainless with laser-fused numerals.