New Owner O'day 25

Jan 29, 2019
O'day 25 Virginia
Good Morning Folks,

So I was able to scoop up a 1978 Oday with a new motor and couple of year old trailer for what I believe was a good deal. Now she needs some love but I can handle it. We got her cleaned out and emptied this weekend. This upcoming weekend I intend to unstep the mast a get to work on the bulkheads and compression post. I ended up with a standard Jib, and a couple of Genoas a spinnaker and a main that is quite rough in my opinion. All the headsails look really good. Its going to be a chore with the interior but Ill make it work. Lots of tools and folks that know stuff I dont. Wish me luck and any advice or lessons learned will be greatly appreciated.

Have a kickass day Yall

Attachments

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Oh it is a grand day to be a new to you boat owner. Congratulations. Welcome to the forum.

Already tearing electrical apart?
What is this a flip this boat?
Usually one likes to just sit in the boat and get a feel for her and the way she sails before reconstruction begins.

Jan 29, 2019
O'day 25 Virginia
Thank you, It is a good day for sure.

Not tearing the electrical apart yet, it needs some cleaning and repair but It works well. Dropped a battery in turn it on and stuff works. I didn't trust the bilge pump that was installed as it was old and didn't have a float switch, hence how it got water in it.

Oh to have the flip this boat budget lol. I wish. I wish I could sail her right now but with all the rot in the bulkheads and compression post Id rather not push my luck and lose the mast.

Jan 29, 2019
O'day 25 Virginia
Chain plates leaked, and a found a weak spot in the cockpit drains that was letting in water and it sat for a bit so rain got in as well.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Welcome to SBO and to owning an O’day 25.
We sailed one for 5 great years.
We had one of the two cockpit drain thru hulls crack and fill the bilge. Luckily it didn’t get to the bulkheads.
Smart to put in new ones if the chain plates leaked and allowed water to rot them.

I found the 25 a great boat to learn on, both sailing and how to take care of a boat.
Enjoy

Jan 29, 2019
O'day 25 Virginia
Thanks Ward, I figure I might as well do it right the first time and make her as solid as I possibly can. She is really good shape with the exception of the bulkheads lol. She just needs some love. Ive got a few months to get her ship shape. Ive got a ton to learn about her, I intend to replace and upgrade everything that needs attention.

I found a couple of in hull tranducers in the bow that I have no idea what they go to, Im going to reach out to the old owners and see what they know.

I was fortunate, the place I bought it from had all the original paperwork on her. So she is well documented. Certainly cool to know the history, Apparently I am the third owner.

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
Those bulkheads look way too familiar. Been there done that, then I sold it cause, well reasons we don't need to re-hash here. Check under the mast step and the toe rails. Well all the deck penetrations actually as the deck is cored and is prone to leaking and then, rot.

EDIT: Oh, and don't halfway those bulkhead repairs as they do keep the rig up. Completely replace them. Half inch marine grade play, use the existing ones as a template as best you can.

Oct 22, 2014
Remove the mast so that you release the compression before you start to remove bulkheads. They hold the boat in shape.

Jan 29, 2019
O'day 25 Virginia
Thank you I appreciate that, That is my plan rip them out and replace the whole thing. Im trying to find some suitable piece of lumber for the compression post. Ive read it is Oak or some other hardwood. I was told and have read that it is 3/4 marine ply but Ill measure and be sure.

I haven't found any soft spots in the decking. But Ill be keeping a eye out for sure.

Jan 29, 2019
O'day 25 Virginia
Oh absolutely, Im hoping to take the mast down this weekend and get at it.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Before you drop the mast, put the boom back on and contact Precision Sails about a new Main. They will make a nice sail to your boat, but you should use measurements not "stock" numbers. Since you are planning a big tear out work anyway and will be down for some time then you can have a new main on order and not stress over waiting for it when you are ready. sailing with old sails sucks and is just plain harder, especially if they are the originals. I put up with my 'nice enough' original sails for a year and then wised up. This year was so much better with new sails and a new outboard.

Oct 22, 2014
Good suggestion John. And this being winter and Boat Show time there are discounts to be enjoyed.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Ya, I didn't listen early on about sails and now I'm just not interested in messing with old junky sails.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
I found a couple of in hull tranducers in the bow that I have no idea what they go to, Im going to reach out to the old owners and see what they know.

I was fortunate, the place I bought it from had all the original paperwork on her. So she is well documented. Certainly cool to know the history, Apparently I am the third owner.
I'd recommend just removing all below water line holes, sink drains can be left if they are above the water line like the one in the head and I would change the galley drain sink to above the water line like the head sink. If it still has the marine head junk it and remove the thru holes and patch them up. Go with a MSD with pump out option and save a ton of money and complexity. @Peggie Hall HeadMistress is your new best friend in this area.

For speed instruments save your money and get a Speedpuck, which is GPS will work just fine to learn with and no transducers.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/velocitek--speedpuck-gps-speedometer--10414662?mrkgcl=481&mrkgadid=3252486968&cm_mmc=PS-_-Google-_-GSC>Brand-_-10414662&product_id=10414662&adpos=1o1&creative=231267080879&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CjwKCAiA4t_iBRApEiwAn-vt-zFQNOdWIVe5p4870tL7IU-9USmaNN5KNY6AJwgbLg08-p-_qvdbRRoCG4MQAvD_BwE

My 1976 was loved for a long time by her third owner from 1978 till 2015, was sold at auction to 4th owner who did a big clean up and get back out sailing regularly, then I got her in 2017 and have fixed and improved as required. She is a great boat and provided a ton of memories with my family and especially my daughter this year.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2019
O'day 25 Virginia
Wow what a response, Thanks Y'all,

I agree Spruce would be pretty depends on what I can find locally.

John I had read about Precision Sails and intend to do just that. Measure twice and order a new set of sails. at least the main the headsails are in amazing shape.
Good tip on the head, I had also read about moving the below water line holes. That just makes good sense lol. something about holes below the waterline just doesnt make me feel comfortable lol.

Cool idea on the speed unit, Ill look into it.
That is my hope as well, Just want to sail her with my family and spend as many enjoyable days as possible. We have another boat but its a powerboat. she is good for messing around during the day and fishing, I cant wait to expand our adventures together as a family.

here are a couple more pictures of the interior. She is dirty and a bit messed up but nothing to terrible

Attachments