New O’day 27 owner and new to this forum

Dec 24, 2017
O’day 27 Oklahoma City
hi all
My names Mike. My whole life I wanted to own a sailboat. Well on Sunday last week my dream came true. My wife and I bought a 1973 27 foot sailboat. It’s name is Impulse and my wife thinks it’s a perfect name for me. It has only been owned by one person the guy we bought it from. Been in both salt water and fresh. Been well taken care of
Glad to be on this forum
Merry Christmas
Mike

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Merry Christmas Mike and Welcome to the forum and sailboat ownership!
Need to post some photos when you can.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Enjoy! Had one once. Good boat!

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Congrats, nice to find a one owner boat for sure!

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
WhatsIt: If you're going to repaint, remember, the darker the paint the hotter it gets in the sun. Even a "light" grey tone gets noticeably hotter on the feet.

Dec 24, 2017
O’day 27 Oklahoma City
WhatsIt: If you're going to repaint, remember, the darker the paint the hotter it gets in the sun. Even a "light" grey tone gets noticeably hotter on the feet.
I didn’t know that, thanks! Is that why sailboats always seem to be white?

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
White? I suppose the in the old days they were not white, they were wood and painted occasionally, but not white. Then came the plastic ;^))). Aside from heat there is UV degradation.

Anyway, the hull is one thing, but the decks, your bare feet will get burnt in the hot summer sun.

Dec 24, 2017
O’day 27 Oklahoma City
White? I suppose the in the old days they were not white, they were wood and painted occasionally, but not white. Then came the plastic ;^))). Aside from heat there is UV degradation.

Anyway, the hull is one thing, but the decks, your bare feet will get burnt in the hot summer sun.
I’m talking only the top. When I’ve done search’s for ideas of how to paint the top part 99% I find are white for the tops. That’s what I meant. If you see my boat it’s currently a white and blue top. So I was thinking of keeping the white part white and the blue part a different color.

Dec 24, 2017
O’day 27 Oklahoma City
So I did a google search again for “sailboat” and other then the trim 99% of the images show the color white only. I’m not talking about the haul on the top part. I’m new to boats so if the “top part” has a name I’m sorry if I’m upsetting people by calling it “top part”

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
You walk on the top sides too! Sometimes you sit on the coach roof. You also furl the sail, etc.

When you paint the top sides darker, makes the cabin a somewhat hotter — although a cored assembly funtions to insulate it from direct transferring it directly through the hull.

Having a black mast and boom can also make working around and on it VERY uncomfortable. You can actually take skin off trying to climb a black mast. They look striking, but....

Dec 24, 2017
O’day 27 Oklahoma City
You walk on the top sides too! Sometimes you sit on the coach roof. You also furl the sail, etc.

When you paint the top sides darker, makes the cabin a somewhat hotter — although a cored assembly funtions to insulate it from direct transferring it directly through the hull.

Having a black mast and boom can also make working around and on it VERY uncomfortable. You can actually take skin off trying to climb a black mast. They look striking, but....
Thanks for this advise! My mast is aluminum (color too) and boom is a gold looking color
So outside of cabin, deck, sides and cockpit a very light color correct? What color is yours?

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Top of the "popped-up" area above the deck is also know as the coach roof. The area next to the sides of cockpit where the winches are usually known as the coamings (which helps keep the water from getting into the cockpit).

We have a light grey non-skid gelcoat. That is just enough to cut down on the glare -- but not enough to grill you bare feet (usually) in the summer time sun.

DSC_0648.JPG

Our decks and coach roof has some very light shading of grey on the non-skid. Even with that, the temp is noticeably warmer (but tolerable) barefoot in the hot summer sun. The advantage of the slight grey is that it cuts down on the glare.

DSC_0648.JPG

Jan 2, 2017
O'Day & Islander 322 & 37 Scottsdale, AZ & Owls Head, ME
What’s now blue on your boat (by the way she’s a “she” not an “it”) should be non-skid. Consider something like Kiwi Grip. They have a nice light gray color.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
DSC_0622.JPG
What’s now blue on your boat (by the way she’s a “she” not an “it”) should be non-skid. Consider something like Kiwi Grip. They have a nice light gray color.

Trust me, it is grey ;^))). That's the digital image has a blue hue that I didn't adjust-out. The hull is an Awlgrip-ed Flag Blue Color.

Above is us heading up toward Camden in the sun, ME (I believe). (Still has a slight blue "cast" to the image.)

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
This is a bit less sun on the grey non-skid. (I guess I need to re-balance my Nikon's "white") ;^)))

DSC_0744.JPG

Jan 2, 2017
O'Day & Islander 322 & 37 Scottsdale, AZ & Owls Head, ME
SG, my reference to blue, etc. was for Whatsit's boat. Sorry, I should have inserted a quote of his post.

Dec 24, 2017
O’day 27 Oklahoma City
Thanks all! Yes, sorry a she not it. I like the light grey or maybe a light beige. The doctor I bought her from said he thinks I should paint her a teal or maroon but from you all that would be way too hot right. Oh and bye the way all you that posted pictures or your boats, they are beautiful. Thanks for tak8 g the time to advise me.
Merry Christmas all
Mike