New O'Day 25 owner

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
So I was completing my inspection for boat insurance and it asked about bilge pumps. I don't have one and didn't see any standing water. That said if I were to install one where is a good location?

May 8, 2011
ODay 25 Cambridge
Install the pump in the bilge and run the discharge hose to starboard up thru a vented loop (above any possible water line). Use the thru hull from the vberth sink for the discharge.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Any chance for some pictures of the install in the bilge? I understand the 2 options for discharge but would like to see some installs that work.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
Any chance for some pictures of the install in the bilge? I understand to 2 options for discharge but would like to see some installs that work.
I don't have any pics of the install. Boat was sold 3 or so years ago. I wired in a separate switch as well for it. It spit water quite nicely out the stern exit. Ran the tubing straight back, lots of room under the cockpit to do the work.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Be sure and wire it with constant power to the float switch as well as an override. Something like this diagram. Size your wire for the amp draw of your pump. Use smooth bore discharge hose if possible

Nov 30, 2009
Oday 28 Lake Michigan
John,
A lot of good info in this tread. I'll take this conversation in another direction, but a few quick response to everything said here so far. Just for reference I've owned a O'Day 22, (6 years), O'Day 25 (14 years), a Catalina 27 (3 years), and a O'Day 28 (4 years).
1) Welcome to sailing. Great family sport. Wonderful environment, can be relaxed and/or intense, and forever a learning experience.
2) Any 30-40 year old boat is going to need a fair amount of maintenance. Think of the maintenance you would have to do to keep a 1976 Ford Torino as a reliable daily driver!!!! Everything has a weak point. The O'Day 25's is the chainplates. Don't loose sleep over it, just know, it's a weak point that needs to be watched/addressed.
3) Immediately buy this months "Good Old Boat" sail boat magazine. It has an review on O'Day 25's. Great mag.

OK, different direction. Let's enjoy your new purchase. The O'Day 25 is a great boat. I referred to mine as a "small big boat" or a "big small boat". It sails like a boat much bigger than it's size. The deck layout is perfection. Stepping out of the cockpit and onto the deck is comfortable and stable. No awkward motion. Wide side decks on a 25ft, 8ft wide boat (rare)!!! I could be from the cockpit to the bow in seconds, solid and secure the whole way. Moving around that boat was a pleasure, and that cannot be said about many trailerable boats. And your teenagers will spend all their time on the deck, not in the cockpit (boring). How do I know? I had 5 kids, and they spent all of their time on the deck. It is one of the thing they love about sailing (use the whole boat). How important is the deck layout? My family wanted to kill me when I bought the Catalina. The Catalina was not a bad boat, but by comparison the side decks were very narrow and it was difficult to go forward, and the settee were narrow for sleeping.
The O'Day's cabin settees are wide enough to actually sleep on. The cockpit seats are long enough to sleep on. It is a "small big boat". You are going to enjoy your selection.

Oliver

Mar 16, 2014
Oday 25 Bradenton Beach Florida
Plastic floats,
Mount the float switch and bilge pump on a piece of plexiglass or similar plastic.
Plastic floats, I don't get this at all, not even close... ? I take it back, I remember using plywood and metal pumps in places.. long story but they did sink down. Not really sure about these light bilge pumps and mine is filled with bolts and ribs, but I did get your meaning.

Last edited:

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Thanks all, we are looking forward to the season. The leak and stuck center board have been fixed. I ordered SST plates to add extentions to the chain plates to make me feel better this season and will replace bulkheads next winter.

Attachments

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Some pics from haul out, hull was good to go with no issues to address.

.20170306_115601.jpg 20170306_110820.jpg

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Excellent, no screws in boat! I'm planning to use 3M VHB for mounting stuff to keep holes down to a minimum. I worked in a shipyard and we used it a lot and seemed to hold up very well.

Jun 29, 2010
Plastic floats,

Plastic floats, I don't get this at all, not even close... ? I take it back, I remember using plywood and metal pumps in places.. long story but they did sink down. Not really sure about these light bilge pumps and mine is filled with bolts and ribs, but I did get your meaning.
Plywood rots (see chain plate bulkhead issues.) Epoxy the plex in place after you attach the pump. You could epoxy cover the wood but may not get it all.

Jun 29, 2010
Excellent, no screws in boat! I'm planning to use 3M VHB for mounting stuff to keep holes down to a minimum. I worked in a shipyard and we used it a lot and seemed to hold up very well.
Does your centerboard drop? That can be an issue, trunk gets water into the glass and they swell.

Oliver

Mar 16, 2014
I'm not putting a brick in my bilge, its not a toilet... big grin, I get it, mine work perfect the way I have it. I used a wet vac to get it nice and dry to install and still use wet vac once in a while to keep clean. When I'm docked and plugged in I run my AC / Dehumidifier drain down to the bilge and I keep a nice out door type rug over it to catch stuff that will plug up a pump.

Last edited:

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Does your centerboard drop? That can be an issue, trunk gets water into the glass and they swell.
It does now, during haul out they got it lose and checked it out. Should be fine for this season, in general I plan to leave it partially down and not all the way up in the keel. My sailing area has plenty of depth to even leave it all the way down all the time.

Oliver

Mar 16, 2014
Captain Tubb, another place if I may say so is your rudder, they get water inside in different ways. I completely re did mine, when I removed bolts and nuts I looked for moisture on them, had a little but no rust. Then I proceeded to rebuild it. Mine looks bigger then yours wide but maybe same in depth. There's stories everywhere where coastguard rescues boat broken rudder and another rule is your batteries must be in boxes and firewall electronics covered. Fire with gas will blow the back of your boat off, poor ventilation down there. The no smoking lamp is on.

Attachments

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Thanks for the recommendation, I did review it after the pressure wash, but good point to do a check of the hardware. I know the previous owner actually spent the last year cleaning and fixing up the boat, and reported he removed and serviced it, which is why the paint was blue and new.

Is your O'Day the full keel? I actually think your rudder looks shorter but wider to me.

Battery is 1 year old and in box, gas tank is actually outside in the cockpit along the transom. Looks ugly, but well vented to say the least. I want to do this ASAP, still vented and a nice clean look.

Attachments