New O'Day 25 owner

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Made another first this weekend. Family crew was a bit light as my son is a main lead on his schools BEST Robotics Team and my wife was down with allergies. So I asked my daughter did she feel up for a Dad and Daughter trip, our first time just the 2 of us to run the boat. She agreed and we packed a lunch and snacks and headed to the lake.

This is the first time I've been back to the boat since the Hurricane last week, by the time it made it here was just rain and 30-40 mph winds. Dock neighbors were nice and put 2 additional lines on her just in case and I reviewed with one of the marina owners if my lines and knots looked ok and he assured me I was in good shape and the extra were just in case.

After a bit of clean up and a quick fuel run we made it out and under sail with no issues or problems. My daughter is 11 years old so she was on the tiller and did great keeping us pointed into the wind while I raised the sails. We picked up some wind and cruised slowly out till the wind stopped. So with no wind I practiced some reefing, jiffy reefing wasn't very jiffy. I'll have to remember to plan ahead when I actually need to reef down the road because it was a lot of fiddling around to get the sail shape. We took our lunch of champions, peanut butter and jelly which is her favorite sandwiches and a large bowl of watermelon, also her favorite.

With still no wind I noted some clouds rolling in over the mountain behind the marine and thought we should head in. Keeping it safe we stowed the sails and put the bumpers out before getting underway and I reviewed her role in hooking the bow line at our slip. This was a first for her as her brother normally does it. She followed my instructions to sit on the bow, do not lean out of the life lines, hook either dock line and quickly attach bow cleat. If the line or hook start to pull you, just let it go and do not stand up till we are secured. I also reviewed where the additional lines where and if I called for them she was to get them to throw to me. I'll say this, I love my kids but she listens and doesn't question or debate every time like my 13 year old son.

We motored in with the storm coming right at us and a bit of waves and wind and some light sprinkles. Once in the marine we actually looked like we knew what we were doing and the docking was smooth and seamless. She hooked the first line she could, a spring line, and pulled it to the bow and cleat like she had done it before no sweat. I stepped off to the dock with the boat gently drifting the last bit of space and had a stern line on with easy and no drama. Any time I can make it into our parallel parking slip with no stress I'm always excited. I told her I was real proud of her and can't wait till we can try again with a bit more wind.

The trip was a lot shorter, originally we planned to stay out all day, but the storm clouds spooked me and based on the down pour we drove home in it was probably the right call. It might have been a brief storm that most would just wait out in the cabin, but I wanted a good time and stress free dad and daughter trip.

Last edited:

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Sounds like a great trip and you made the right call beating the storm in.
I enjoy reading about your family outings and experiences. Good to see someone having a good time.
ref: Reefing. I have my lines run aft so I can raise the main and reef from the cockpit. Before I did that I always left the boat with the main reefed so next time out I always started out reefed. Much easier to shake it out than to put it in. One thing I do is mark my lines with blue painters tape so I have preset points for halyards, reef lines, even dock lines. IE: To put in a reef I lower the main until the blue tape is at the line clutch. Then luff reef line to the tape mark, then the leech reef line to the tape mark. Then small adjustments as needed.
I don't use dock lines with eye splices anymore or if I do the eye is at the piling. I use cleat hitches on all cleats. For repeatability of correct length I have them marked with blue painters tape just before the cleat. the tape holds up real well and easier to take off and replace than a permanent marker.
But I digress.
Glad your having fun.

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
The dry season o_O should be coming to AL next month so maybe you can get in a few more sailing days before it gets cold. Good report. Maybe find one of the interactive learn to sail programs and send your daughter a link. You never know, she might have you on the bow handling lines next summer.:)

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Thanks, it was probably one of the best family invesments I've made. I'm happy as we make these milestones and build the fun factor. The marina is great group and works for us for location. There is an active sailing club, but our schedules just haven't work out this season to get involved. Hopefully we can get some time next season after recovering from our move and the list of issues the home inspection didn't find.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Ward good point on the lines running to cockpit but I need to figure out what we are going to do with our O'Day 25 going forward. Really love the boat, and it is supper nice with just 2 of us on board but does get cozy with 4. Taking out extended family and friends also has had a total of 6-7 and that means people in the cabin as the cockpit is just too small for everyone. Kids will go forward on the bow under the foresail for fun but that means I keep a real close eye on the conditions. Ideally I think something larger is in our future up to a 30' boat seems like the right next step after we enjoy the O'Day for a year.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2017
O'Day 25' Auburn
Oliver,
Not all plastic floats! (3 semesters of plastic technology in college). My aging brain couldn't remember the specifics, so I had to refer to go ol' GOOGLE...LOL. This may help: http://www.answers.com/Q/Does_plastic_sink_or_float_in_water?#slide=1

I'm just going to look at an O'Day 25 tomorrow, so am really enjoying following your thread and comments, thanks! I taught sailing on an O'Day 25 on SF Bay years ago when Uncle Sam too mo to the Bay area.

Fair winds and following seas, skipper!

Last edited:

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Second Dad and Daughter trip today. Better wind day and another great experience. Excellent docking and she got the hang of tacking the jib for me like a pro.
20171005_095045.jpg 20171005_095105.jpg 20171005_095452.jpg 20171005_100200.jpg

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
Be careful, she could turn into a serious racing skipper. But in today's times that might not be so bad.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Ya tonight she asked about how she gets her boater safety cert, which is 12 in Alabama and 14 to operate unsupervised.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
So an O'Day 272 caught my eye today. Trailer, new sails in 2016, fixed keel under 3' draft, furler, standing headroom in cabin (6' ish?) tiller, stern mounted rudder, traveler above cabin, all lines to cockpit, new diesel tank, new head tank. Didn't like 'bulkhead reinforced' vs replace at the asking price, cockpit isn't really any bigger and not sure I want the added diesal engine and built in head complexity.

I'm really all over the place on either upgrade or keep and put more money in to the 25 knowing the size and cabin is not fixable for our family comfort.

I'm also considering Hunter 260, Macgregor 26M or 26X, O'day 27, 28, 30, Catalina 27, 28 and 30. The bigger boats need to be someplace on TN river in the North AL/ South TN area. The others can be farther if they have trailers as I can tow with my truck.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
Your MacGregor considerations just need to come off the list. Just say no.... ugh..... O'Day 28 is not too bad of a boat, sailed one in a boat club I belonged to when I started out. Catalina's are going to have the best support network of all you have on your list. Not sure on the 260. Never seen one or sailed one but, I am just not a fan of the brand.

A bit of advice from an outside observer who has been in your place.... take a step back for the winter and just look around. From the little I know from this thread, you seem to be getting in to a bit of a "boat fever" mode in regards to what to have. Yes there are an overwhelming number of options but, just sail what ya got for now. Upgrading it is probably not worth the $$ as you won't get it back. During the winter, you can poke around all over the interwebs and ask questions about boats. After my O'Day 25 was sold I was hell bent on a First 265 over in Michigan. Then we hauled Jackdaw's first 260, a little bit smaller, and I was "enlightened" on the size of what the 265 probably is. I decided on a 235 from then on. You have growing needs, so make a list, be realistic on what you really, really want, and go from there. It's not like you have to get a different boat, you will want one soon.

My 2 cents.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Thanks and I totally agree, I'm actually just keeping my options open. Realistically buying and shipping something large just isn't worth it for our needs and we do have fun for the what the old O"Day 25 does provide.

Beneteau are also on my look out list and there is one in our marina on stands that I'm pretty sure hasn't moved since we joined. There are actually several boats that seem to never move in our area and I might inquire about over the winter to see if cold temps and lack of use motivate them to unload for a deal.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
I'm considering some new sails as a Christmas present to myself after looking at a few used boats that would take a lot of work to make as nice as my 25 is. I noted that most everyone says get a furler, but I'm not sure I want to put that much into this boat. I noted that you can get reef points in a headsail that is hank on. I like this idea better for simple setup and if I go out and the wind is questionable I've been reefing my main to start with anyway. Any feedback?

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I've never reefed a hank-on headsail. Keep in mind that it may not be that simple. I think you will need to go all the way forward to change the tack. Then you have to do something about the sheets. I suppose that it would be best to have a second set of sheets ready to attach to the new clew before dropping the sail. That's not an insignificant task.
Having sailed for more than 10 years on our boat with hank-on head sails, now that I have a furler, I'd say that you will be happier with it than without. If reefing a hank-on headsail were an attractive option, I think you would see some folks doing it. I've never seen anybody do this, so I think I would take that as a hint.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Ya probably all good points.

So I made it out to the boat to pull the old sails and take measurements for the new ones. I also pulled out all the sails she came with too and found a North Sail main. I decided to put it on to check out and was shocked at the excellent condition. Several people looked at it and agreed it was a great sail and I didn't need a new main. I'm thinking of sending to Sailcare for a cleaning, thoughts? Also any feedback based on the bag tag?
20171202_152513.jpg

I also found this colorful sail too. Any feedback? I was surprised to see the hanks and it is very light weight cloth.

Attachments

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
The other sail is a drifter, a light wind headsail. To keep the clew light it uses sister clips instead of shackles or knots.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Thanks Jackdaw, so how do I set up sheets and I assume light weight is key? Does this work like a jib then so I can tack upwind?

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
A Drifter is used off the wind, ie: reaching and running, like a spinnaker and usually made of lightweight nylon cloth so it won't have a good shape for upwind work, too baggy.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
I'm looking at outboard options for my 1976 O'day 25. It had a 70lb 7.5hp Mercury 2 stroke:

1) I have a fairly new Tohatsu 6hp 4 stroke short shaft from my little jon boat. This is only 58 lb which is nice to reduce weight, runs like a top, starts easy, but is pull start. I'm on Lake Guntersville and really only sail nice days but have used the motor to get back home. I could convert this to long shaft but that looks like at least $700 in parts and shipping.

2) New sailpro ultra long shaft Tohatsu. I like electric start but the smallest I can get is a 9.8 hp electric start but is 93 lbs and over $900 more then the ultra long shaft 6hp sail pro model that is also only 61 lbs.

3) New 5hp Tohatsu Propane ultra long shaft sail pro. Really like the idea of propane and no gas tanks. Yes I know I'll need a propane tank. Not sure about the lower hp, weight is 65 lbs so a bit less, manual start but does have alternator to charge battery.

4) Electric outboard. Love this concept but very expensive. Plus are no fuel, quite motoring but a lot of batteries and the outboards are more then the 9.8 hp and of course we have range concerns. Range might not bea big deal as we really only day sail and return to our slip before sunset.

I'm leaning toward propane, but really want electric but am cheap. The easiest is get a new 6hp ultra long shaft and sell my short shaft. I did look at other boats but they all needed work, sails, and motor issues so for now since I know my 25 I'll keep it.

Thoughts...

Last edited:

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
ODay Mariner Guntersville
I like everything about the propane engines except for the high noise levels that I've heard in person and read about from other users. But those were made by Lehr. Maybe Tohatsu's are quieter.

I love electric motors. Managing batteries, chargers, etc. is in your future if you will be cruising in a larger boat. Using an electric motor now will get your experience/expertise in that field started.