New O'Day 25 owner

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
Just measured the rod diameter I use is .2" (2/10") and 44" long for my 23. I bought 2 rifle cleaning kits from Wally World to have enough sections for that length. There was 2 sections left over.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Excellent idea, rifle cleaning kit, I have those already so I should be good to go!

May 8, 2011
ODay 25 Cambridge
I'd remove the plastic guide and run a length of pvc pipe down the tube with the pendant thru the center of the pipe. Treat the tube as fragile cause if it breaks you will have a sinking feeling. You'll find that some curvature is needed as the hole thru the cockpit for the pendant and the tube are not aligned perfectly.

P3310131.JPG P3310132.JPG

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
@John Tubb When my CB would get stuck up all the yard needed was a short pry bar to get it down with a quick flip of the bar at the rear of the CB trunk. Of course that was while hanging on the lift but underwater should work also. I tried my self underwater with channel locks and could not get a grip. I didn't have a boat ladder at the time so I never tried it again myself.
Here is what I would do. I would first take down some metal pallet strapping, the 1/2" or so wide stuff or something similar, about 18" in length. Wearing gloves I would try sliding it between the board and trunk on both sides. If it is clear, then I would know it is a pendant/shackle issue. If not either foreign material, swelling or crack.
Then I would try the small pry bar. Once down, if the strapping found a tight spot I would give that area good look and feel if I got the board down. Might tell you something. If it didn't find a tight spot concentrate on the way the line is tied to the CB. Shackle? Does the clevis pin feel longer than needed? Is there an eye splice or is it tied on with a knot? Or is it rigged another way? Is the pendant line oversized? (1/4" is fine, no more than 5/16" or it could be catching on the worn groove of the tube)
Remember, the trunk narrows near the top so anything that is none OEM may be causing you problems.

Good Luck. If you can't get it down, you can still sail. Just not as close to the wind without a bit of slippage.

Enjoy the 4th.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
@svchickadee
Have you done the pic pipe trick? It sounds slick if the pendant line is small enough to fit into a pipe that the OD is small enough to fit into the pendant tube. I think the inside diameter is less than 3/4".
Good pick showing of what the pendant attachment should look like.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Excellent, thanks a ton for the help. I'll have a couple of options ready to try now on the 4th.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Well I got out on Monday, but didn't take her out so the swim will have to wait. In the meantime, I was doing some thought experiments on a possible dingy to tow behind Easy down the road. I saw this Alumacraft 14V boat as a possible sweet setup with my existing 6hp outboard off my flat bottom jon boat.

http://alumacraft.com/Alumacraft-Boat.php?id=248

Empty weight is 202 lbs, motor, battery and trolling motor I already have would add about $100 lbs. So maybe total weight around 350 lbs to tow behind, and holds four. I wouldn't be towing it much, but if we venture down river in the future having something to beach would be nice, plus I could use for fishing instead of my flat bottom jon boat. I've never considered towing my jon boat as I think it wouldn't track well and will be easily swamped.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Towing 300+ pounds behind a 25 foot boat? You will grow to hate that. I'd give up on the 4-person dream, and get a used 8 foot Walker Bay. 70 pounds and a much easier tow.

May 8, 2011
ODay 25 Cambridge
Get a kick up rudder (Rudder Craft makes an okay one) and then you can ground your Oday (provided you have solved your centerboard problem).

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
A Walker Bay would be a better idea, thanks. Of course my ulterior motive was to reuse my current flat bottom jon boat gear and offer it to my Dad for free if he bought the Alumacraft boat and trailer:)

Jun 20, 2017
Oday 25 Lorain
So the compression post is a SOLID Piece of Ash, Rudy, who worked for ODAY who is now with DR MARINES as verified that. He is a pleather of fantastic information for any ODAY out here. I actually have replaced my bulkheads 1/2" you can use Marine plywood, or Mahogany, if you use Marine plywood and you plan on staining them Teak, you may have a hard time with the stains sticking. Mahogany is very durable, you can take a piece of Mahogany and leave it out and it won't rot. The very bottom pictures are the Marine Plywood, the two top is the Mahogany. 
IMG_20170724_195742517.jpg

Attachments

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
John, congratulations on your 25 ft. O'day....looking at your photographs, I installed steel plates on both bulkheads to help
carry the load of the rigging....I found 4 inch wide x 1/4 inch steel plates at West Marine and bought two of them (port and starboard). Installation was simple and the larger steel plates are not visible as one is in the hanging locker and one is in the
medicine chest...you have to be enjoying your boat.

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
John, congratulations on your 25 ft. O'day....looking at your photographs, I installed steel plates on both bulkheads to help
carry the load of the rigging....I found 4 inch wide x 1/4 inch steel plates at West Marine and bought two of them (port and starboard). Installation was simple and the larger steel plates are not visible as one is in the hanging locker and one is in the
medicine chest...you have to be enjoying your boat.
When the wood rots, that won't help.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Littlebobber those sure are some great looking bulkheads and the finish looks top notch.

Thanks Pat, so far the boat has been great for our use, it has been a few weeks since we sailed because of a move and weather but I'm sure we will get out soon again.

So my Port bulkhead is in great shape and solid with no rot above the chain plate, the starboard was a different story with rot above the top fastener. The compression post was black, but dry as was the starboard bulkhead. My initial tempory repair was to install SST backing plates that extended 12" into the bulkheads inline with the glassed tabs that hold them to the hull. I then used the git-rot penetrating epoxy on the rot in the bulkhead and even did the bottom of the compression post. The good news was that there was solid wood in the compression post for the penetrating glue holes I drilled, it was actually dry and very solid. I still think I want to redo the bulkheads this winter but my chain plate backing and git-rot is probable good enough for our day sailing adventures for awhile.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Made it out today, been a month because we moved last month. Good news is the boat is 25-30 minutes away now. Just my son and I, he tried some fishing and then got us back in our slip like a pro. Didn't take but one pic.

Attachments

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Fun family sail day, not a lot of wind but managed to make it out under sail. Did a heave too and went for a swim with kids and a very quick dive got the centerboard down. Really didn't take much to get it unstuck. The water was too murky to get a clear look but I bet it is the shackle.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
One little bit of excitment yesterday was our first "grounding". Returning to the marina under power I was tiding up sails, bags and lines while my wife was on the tiller and my son was on the bow for look out. Nice day out so we had a bit of traffic, kayaks, sunfish boats, and a Catalina 22 so my son and wife were focused on them.

I recall noting the swallow marker to my wife early and thought she would stay to the outside of the area. Well all of a sudden she calls the boat is stuck. I'm midship so I jump back to the cockpit and reverse the motor but we do not not backup. Quickly I realize the rudder is dug into the mud and has actually come off the lower gudgeon. I pull it the rest of the way off and out of the water and we are moving backwards just fine.

So not a big problem and we learned anouther lesson. No damage to the boat, just really need to get my wife more motor experience.

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
luckily, mine were not rotted at all....so far, nothing has rotted....we take good care of her though...Pat

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
So our family really enjoy the sailboat life on the lake. So far this year has had ups and down and I now watch the weather better to ensure good days for them going forward. This does usually mean we go out in very light wind days and just putt along slowly and enjoy the peacefulness of engineless propulsion.

I'm rarely in the cabin, but kids and wife like to head below and stretch out and take naps. The challenge is that we have no ports that open and only a forward hatch. I sometimes have them open it all the way but then the hatch is against the mast and interferes with the jib and sheets. We have a couple of ways to prop it partially open, but airflow is sometimes very limited. I've seen fans installed in hatches, but not sure that will really pull a good breeze into the cabin. I was thinking of a 12v car fans might help but them seem pretty small. Any ideas?