New O'Day 25 owner

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Anyone have a lead on OEM cabin light covers, I need at least 2? I'm thinking of replacing them all and changing out the old bulbs with LED strips in side them. I thought that would be nice to have the improved LED but still retain the OEM look and feel.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Thanks, I didn't see them online, I'll call them.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Thanks Ward!

Awesome day on the boat, the best wind we have had 7-8, gust 10-12 made it fun! Had a bit of lean that a few times I dumped the main to stop and keep everyone happy. Really wasn't very bad but with guest on we tried to keep it level. It was our fist trip that we only used the motor for in and out of the marina, we even sailed back and fourth under a bridge no problem.

Once again my wife was a natural and even though the lean surprised her she said she liked it and when it was only us and no guest would be fun to experiment. We finally got to really trim and balance her and see her run which was just a great feeling.

Bad news is my father inlaw checked the 12v and there is no power to the panel. Didn't have enought time to figure it out, but he is going to design up a system for me to put together to get her up to snuff.

Oliver

Mar 16, 2014
Oday 25 Bradenton Beach Florida
Sounds like fun John. Wind and weather perfect here but have air bubbles in fuel line so didn't go out, yes, sad. I'm going to build my way of a fuel line, I want to see the fuel.... here is old picture. And proof 1976 engine runs. I love old boats when it works, 41 years old my engine and boat. I'm very defensive and obsessed about my boat I know, I apologize but will not give an inch. I'm in charge of my life and will not hand it over to anyone. Happy holiday Captain

Attachments

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
I really like this website forecast, the 'superforecast' is also cool to look at. In my few times out this seems to line up nicely with actual conditions in my area. Planning a midmorning to midafternoon sail this Saturday, looks like fun except not as much sun as my wife would like. We have a couple of friends who want to come, I'll be warning them the gusts could get exciting.

https://www.windfinder.com/forecast/guntersville_warrenton-subdivision

Oh also finally figured out the jiffy rigging instructions that came with the boat. Doesn't sound very jiffy to me but makes since and pretty simple, and should work fine for us for now.

Oliver

Mar 16, 2014
Just checked your super forecast, 0mph wind from the east, I can't stop laughing. When 0mph wind hits us the love bugs swarm us so bad we have to lock are selves in and wait them out. We need rain bad here in Florida. What do you guys cover your engine with ? Plastic don't work, just makes it worst.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
I remember love bug season, grew up in central and south FL!

I don't understand your question, cover the engine? My outboard has no cover on it and it seems fine. Faded for sure but it is old and I just keep it clean.

Oliver

Mar 16, 2014
Maybe like burlap, what is the material to cover outboard engine, I'm looking around here at the Marina, I'm not getting it.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Most covers on outboards in our area are the same material for mainsail covers.

Oliver

Mar 16, 2014
Guitar Steve died, I heard he fell off a trolley broke a few ribs, hospital kicked him out and he died internal bleeding on his boat. I was to help him fix his kick plate maybe. I rather get hit and run over by a trolley... dam...

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Had anouther sailing adventure this Saturday. We went out mid-morning to mid-afternoon. The winds had us on broad reach with the current. Winds picked up and gps showed 5 kts. As usual I failed to take many pics, but I'd like feedback on my sail trim from these 2 pictures. The jib is still catching on the front.

Attachments

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Had anouther sailing adventure this Saturday. We went out mid morning to mod afternoon. The winds had us on broad reach with the current. Winds picked up and gps showed 5 kts. As usual I failed to take many pics, but I'd like feedback on my sail trim from these 2 pictures. The jib is still catching on the front.
It's hard to judge trim on that point of sail. Best when going upwind.

You're on a easy reach and your luff telltails are flying. That's good. To REALLY measure headsail reaching trim, you need telltails on your leech.

Your mainsail looks too flat for those conditions. Ease your outhaul.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Thanks Jack, I know I need more telltales, I try to keep the leech smooth. I left my traveler centered downwind and usually only move it leeward going upwind. My main is a full attached foot, I never adjust the outhaul underway, actually I've left it in the same position since I got the boat. Am I easing it to get the sail to cup more?

We had some trouble when it came time to come about that resulted in a bit of drama on Easy. I'll post that up in a bit I'm not proud of what happened because we had a great day until then. On the plus side we made it home safety and had a great tie up with everyone working together.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
I'm going to post a new tread about our little excitement in ask a sailor for broader exposure.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
@Oliver , sorry to hear about your loss.

Your talking about outboard covers. Are they used to keep the Love Bugs out? Around here some cover their OBs to protect the cowlings and keep them looking new. Just wondering.

Oliver

Mar 16, 2014
cowlings, someone please give me the name and address of the person responsible for this name of a outboard engine cover... please... 1777.... maybe there ancestors can pay for such a stupid name. I was just wondering how to keep the salt humidity out of my engine, pillow case, what materials would I need. I don't stay in the box if you haven't yet figured that out yet. Salt monster I hate. Thanks for replying, cool. Love bugs are above bad here.... Just...... real... irritating....