New O'Day 25 owner

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
Why can't something like this be closer to Huntsville AL, I'd pay $500 for the whole thing and someone can have the boat if I can keep the trailer!

https://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/boa/6075367905.html
I always think the same thing when I see a listing like this, BUT no title and last registered owner died 3 years ago? Paperwork nightmare! Trailer might not be a problem (at least in Massachusetts?) but without a title it is difficult to legally take ownership of a boat 14' or longer. Not impossible, but tedious and difficult.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
No titles on boats or trailers in AL. Bill of sale and a previous registration is all I had for my O'Day.

If it was closer and I had land I take them both and either strip the boat for parts or give it away.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
That white tank looks like the same tank in mine for fresh water.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Any idea what this metal tubs on the inside of my transome, starboard side are for?

Attachments

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
Any idea what this metal tubs on the inside of my transome, starboard side are for?
Maybe a previous engine mount... are you talking about the round white plates just below the wire or the pipe structure?

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Pipe structure. The 4 round backers are the motor mount. The pipes don't attach to anything, the other O'Day 25 I looked at didn't have it. I asked the long term owner, he said it came that way when he got the boat in 86.

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
If the pipe structure is right below the opening hatch someone may have stored an outboard hanging from it. Not sure from the pictures how much space above or below. The O'Day 25 I ran some wires on back in the '80s didn't have those tubes if I recall.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Interesting, it does seem very strong. Must have been done in the first 10 years as the long term owner thought that is how it came.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Actually that is a garden hose for cleaning. The shore power cable stays at the dock. Good idea for hoses and cables for sure.

I have done a ton of cleaning out this space. There us a ton if room in this boat just need to take some time planning it out. Getting the 12v electrical figured out isthe next item to address.

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
Not sure about the O-25 but the O-23 will drag it's stern with much load under the cockpit. I keep moving weight forward. If we have 4 aboard I'm normally sitting on the cabin or side decks. With just Lee and I we still sit in the forward part of the cockpit with a long tiller extension. If there is another boat in the vicinity I'm even more forward. Racing, oh no we're not racing.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Captain Ron is an old 1992 movie staring Curt Russell, I wouldn't take it too serious just a fun movie that my family loved watching right after we bought the O'Day.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Not sure about the O-25 but the O-23 will drag it's stern with much load under the cockpit. I keep moving weight forward. If we have 4 aboard I'm normally sitting on the cabin or side decks. With just Lee and I we still sit in the forward part of the cockpit with a long tiller extension. If there is another boat in the vicinity I'm even more forward. Racing, oh no we're not racing.
I can see that, I'll have my kids as ballast on the bow from now on:)

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
John,
My 1980 25 does not have the pipe structure. I wonder if it is related to having an in-board engine? Boat may have been started as being an in-board model, then changed to out board.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Nope, this boat was never an inboard motor. It is very strange structure, I'll just leave it alone. I thought about cutting it out but I really don't need any other work or projects.

Oliver

Mar 16, 2014
Oday 25 Bradenton Beach Florida
Picture, up into transom top. I don't know what that metal elbow went to, it's thick so maybe an outboard diesel, yes they made them. I see marks where there might have been a small diesel in board. PS I like Capt. Ron and I have seen 3 pictures of my tank with gas in it. I believe this is the engine that was once here, A straight-three engine, also known as an inline-triple, or inline-three ... Detroit Diesel Series 71 and Series 53 engines were available in 3 cylinder form for .... configuration produces 803 pounds of thrust and pushes the boat to about 55 mph.

Attachments

Last edited:

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
You might consider sending the sail (s) to a company called "Sail Care" in Ford City, Pa.....they will clean them and repair any
stitching issues...they will give you a good verbal quote over the phone and they will arrive at your home looking like new sails.
We have used them 3 times in this lifetime....for two boats that is.....have fun, and enjoy the boat this summer...Patrick

Oliver

Mar 16, 2014
Not so sure about putting in board engine in. I can't even open access panel other side, tank in the way. Batteries, I still want 2 more for second bank with solar. A real lot of work. The yellow wire is just to my T.V. antenna. You can see the gear shifter mount up top there. I'm just going to chew on all this for a while.

Attachments

Oliver

Mar 16, 2014
I put a board, I guess like maybe a header board up in the bow, I like it. I seen no evidence that one ever existed before. It has a nice built in anti pirate storage area bottom.

Attachments