New O'Day 25 owner

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Is there a single product that replaces both the topping lift and boom vang?

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
I thought I would ask, my vang line is pretty tired, on the list of course...

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
100% false.
Q: When leaving the boat for an extended time, does the Boomkicker need to be left in the straight position?
A: No. Leaving some flex in the spring rods is fine. If left heavily flexed in hot weather for an extended period, some set could occur.
Hey Jack, I just go with what the manufactuers website says. I live where it goes over 50 ° C in the summer.
http://www.boomkicker.com/bk_qustn.html

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
@svchickadee
Slick idea on the topping lift. Much simpler than what I installed.
Did you install the mid ship cleats?
Did you take off the fixed jib sheet turning blocks on the side decks? Can't see them in the pic.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
I know Ward, I liked your approach because it was well thought out and looks good, SV is the award for simple and still neat and tidy. I can do his right now with what I have on hand while considering options and upgrades for later.

SV I'd love to see some of your details changes with close up photos.

May 8, 2011
ODay 25 Cambridge
I removed all hardware on the side decks to free up the space for dinghy, fuel, etc for the trip to the Bahamas. I prefer to run my jib sheets outside the shrouds. Two sets of midship cleats were added. One set is just forward of the shrouds and the 2nd set is just forward of the coaming. Both sets are as far outboard as allowed and still have backing plates. One set of blocks is used and I have to move the blocks based on the point of sail.PA100874.JPG
P5030341.JPG

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Thanks @svchickadee . I like how you adapted the cleats to hold your jib blocks. I've been wanting to install a horn cleat for a spring line. Putting one in front of the combing like you did would work.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
I really like those details SV that you did for the O'Day 25.

Also I recall you have a custom motor mount, where did you get it made or did you make it. I like how you get it low and high out of the water.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Q: When leaving the boat for an extended time, does the Boomkicker need to be left in the straight position?
A: No. Leaving some flex in the spring rods is fine. If left heavily flexed in hot weather for an extended period, some set could occur.
Hey Jack, I just go with what the manufactuers website says. I live where it goes over 50 ° C in the summer.
http://www.boomkicker.com/bk_qustn.html

I'd be careful to read too much into that.

You recommend a topping lift based on your google search on the topic. I've used these boomkickers for 20 years, on dozens of boats from 22 to 34 feet. And I know literally hundreds of people with them. Most leave the rods straight at rest. A smaller percentage leaves them with a slight bend to make the boom level, and they are all fine. That's the reality. The case you quote (heavily flexed) is a point out, which is really is gear abuse. And even that is rare.

Last edited:
May 8, 2011
ODay 25 Cambridge
I had the motor mount built by a welder on the Maryland eastern shore where I lived at the time. It is made of 3/16 inch aluminum and cost a few hundred dollars. It has held up well in some extreme conditions in the Bahamas. The mount is extended down so the pressure is on the hull stringer rather than the transom when under power. I built a model of the bracket out of wood to get the transom angles, etal correct and the welder built the bracket from that model. No bolts used beyond the 4 that hold the mount.
P3240126.JPG

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Ah I see, very nice. My mount has a wood wedge between the transom and swing mount, yours looks like it doesn't have that.

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
This is the no weld option. There is 2" angle on the inside as backing plates that run deck to hull. We trailer with the engine mounted with the extra bar support extending from the trailer.

Attachments

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
That looks like a very simple approach. What is the angle material?

May 8, 2011
ODay 25 Cambridge
On Chickadee the four mounting bolts go thru the factory mount, the add on mount and the transom. I have 3/16 aluminum angle on the inside of the transom. My outboard weights 100 lbs and the boat displaces 5000 lbs.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
Been scrubbing and painting old engine room, still more to do but two pictures for the hell of it. You can see transom block easier, 3/4 inch plywood treated, I'm going to paint it. Very nice weather here SunCoast Florida.
GET THAT RED PORTABLE GAS TANK OUT OF THE BILGE! It is unsafe, and not approved! Any leaks and you have a bilge full of fuel and explosive fumes. Futhermore it is not properly restrained and could come loose and be even worse. Those tanks are for above-deck use as they vent direct to the compartment where they are, not overboard. One spark could ignite a fire, and given the dangerous setup, it is very possible that your insurance would not cover your loss. I hope you at least remove it from the boat to fill. Check out how other owners have created covered locations in the cockpit for their gas tanks, or replace that portable tank with a properly installed below deck fuel tank. securely mounted, vented overboard and with a proper deck-fill. Be sure to use the proper fuel line to the engine as well, one rated for below-deck tanks.

Last edited:

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Cool, I'm a bit surprised by the aluminum to be honest. I'm fresh water lake only so if the strength is there then I can see that has a good solution.