New O'Day 22 project (Free Boat on trailer)

Nov 6, 2018
O'Day 22 Corpus Christi
Greetings! I am the new owner of an O'Day 22 on a home built trailer. This will be my third sail boat and I look forward to restoration and taking her sailing in Corpus Christi bay. The boat was left behind by her owner on his friends property. The owner left the state and the friend sold his property so the boat had to be removed. I found the owner and asked if he was still interested in the boat to which he said he had forgotten about it (he's in his late 60's) and he is sending me the title. The boat sat on a trailer for 6 years and had about 50 gallons of water inside (should be water tight then and float!) gotta take her to the power washer station and clean her off for a thorough hull inspection prior to paint prep and paint. Took a few (Before ) pics and will take pics as project goes forward. Hull looks brush painted by monkeys lol but after stripping should look good. Full sail load-out, main, jib, Genoa, and spinnaker. Yea! 2 more sails than I'm used to. prior boats were a Thunderbird sloop and an American Mariner. so experienced with fiberglass over wood and straight fiberglass work. the mast and boom have very little corrosion. will keep you all posted as Mynx gets her new refit.
IMG_20181017_150656.jpg

Attachments

Will D

Aug 22, 2018
O'Day Daysailer Pueblo Reservoir
Sweet! But what a state she looks! You've got your work cut out for you.

Nov 6, 2018
O'Day 22 Corpus Christi
mostly mold and dirt and a really really bad paint job. no thru hulls below the the water line the trailer seems in worse shape lol.

Nov 6, 2018
O'Day 22 Corpus Christi
Happy Day! Just got her title registration papers squared away and she's officially mine! Now the real work begins! Special thanks to the prior owner Nathan Porter for all his help!

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
I suspect all that water was inside due to deck leaks. Check the deck well for rotten balsa coring, and plan to remove and re-bed all deck hardware and penetrations. Have fun. I like sailing, but I always seem to have projects to work on for the boat, so I guess I like fixing up boats about as much. This year is new rubrails...