New member, novice sailor, couple questions

Jan 30, 2019
Captiva Yachts Inc Sanibel 17/18 Belleview
Holy shit charlie!! Don't risk your health or well being for my dumbass redneck curiosities, I'm not in that big of a hurry for any of you guys that live north of the Florida/ Georgia line to venture out for a picture or anything, seeing as how everyone north of me is experiencing sub-artic freeze your nut hairs temps right now. I really appreciate you going by and looking at it though, but don't risk freezing anything important on behalf.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Other than proper ventilation and inspection vigilance, any other suggestions for the mold situation (and prevention there of) in a sailboat cabin?
Check these 2 articles (both written by the same person):
https://www.practical-sailor.com/blog/Homemade-Mildew-Preventers-11249-1.html
https://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2016/12/mildew-treatment-for-pennies.html

The author, Drew Frye frequently publishes in Good Old Boat and Practical Sailor. Both publications are worthy of a subscription.

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
Holy shit charlie!! Don't risk your health or well being for my dumbass redneck curiosities, I'm not in that big of a hurry for any of you guys that live north of the Florida/ Georgia line to venture out for a picture or anything, seeing as how everyone north of me is experiencing sub-artic freeze your nut hairs temps right now. I really appreciate you going by and looking at it though, but don't risk freezing anything important on behalf.
lol- no way it's freezing here. I'm on the south Texas coast, on Matagorda bay. Its currently 64 degrees, with a pea soup fog Just that it got damp and the wind got up to near 20 mph. I even blew off my steak dinner because the tables at the fishing center are totally open to the east, and a 20 mph east wind is not fun to sit in while you eat :(

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I visited Disney World once...

Ok maybe more than once.

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
Some pics from the Sanibel. It's raining hard, but they moved it under cover :)

Where the spreader attaches to mast

image2.jpeg

End of spreader-

image1-1.jpeg

Cover over end-
image1.jpeg

Hope these help

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Note the fitting on the shroud. It is designed to fit in a hole in the spreader as a bushing. That way the spreader does not chaff the wire shroud. Then the end can be taped or a rubber/plastic boot can be fit over the shroud end and around the shroud to keep all in place.

The spreader end looked damaged in the original picture. This image helps identify the design. Thanks Charlie.

Jan 30, 2019
Awesome Charlie!! Thank you for going by the neighbors (side note, your neighbor bought their boat the same day I bought mine...sweet!) We've been deep cleaning all day, but it looks like a different boat now. On to the pics, both shroud ends are the same on mine, although they look slightly different than the pics Charlie got. No spot for a back stay (no pic of that), and a shot of the port and strbrd sides of the masthead. If I can remember to I'll get a pic or two of my temporary redneck solution for my shrouds.

Attachments

Jan 11, 2014
What kind of line is that main halyard. It looks like cheap hardware store poly rope. If so, it won't last long and will break at an inopportune time.

Jan 30, 2019
It is cheap rope, the boat has no rigging at all so I prefer to use the cheap stuff that I can cut to different lengths while figuring everything out, and if I screw up it's a .20 a foot mistake not a 1.00 a foot mistake. And when I'm done I can donate the cheap learner rope to our scout troop, kinda a win win.

Jan 11, 2014
How can you tell? What do you look for to tell quality of rope.
In this case the rope was too shiny and the colors too bright.

The patterns on rope are not random, each line has a pattern that allows for it to be identified.

Sometimes cheap rope is good enough. I've used it as messenger lines and to secure tarps. Right now, my patio furniture is under a tarp, secured with cheap line.

The hardware store poly has a low breaking strength and is susceptible to UV damage.

Sep 26, 2018
Sirius 21 Trailer in Saskatchewan
Your question about the goose neck is the same problem I have on my serious 21. On this thread as well as when I asked, https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/boom-connection-to-mast.193683/ , many posts refer to the topping lift. Am I rigging my boat so wrong, as I attach the topping lift to the aft end of the boom? The part of my goose neck that slides into the mast is exactly like yours, and I suspect mine is upside down also.

To the people that answer (topping lift) to every problem not even close to the aft end of the boom, should I use a topping lift to attach the anchor rode, connection of rope to chain or is there a better knot?

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
The topping lift has nothing to do with an anchor. It is a line from the upper part (top?) of the mast to the aft end of the boom. Properly tightened, it keeps the boom from falling on people or into the cockpit. //// You'd use a knot to attach the anchor, but the type is open to debate.

Jan 30, 2019
Good afternoon Cecil, if I've understood the guys correctly the part we're missing is called a boom kicker I think. It's a round or flat piece of aluminum that has a knurled nut or thumb screw on it that slides into the mast slot below the gooseneck, and once tightened prevents the boom from completely sliding down when the main is lowered (found them on SBO store and west marine sites). The eyelet on mine should have a line that leads to a cleat lower on my mast to prevent the boom from riding up under sail (similar to a Cunningham I believe).