New lost and maybe scared

Nov 20, 2013
Catalina C-25 Cleveland
I'm new to the forum, new to sailing and totally lost. Just purchased a 1984 Catalina c-25 and have no idea what I am in for any help concerning rigging the canvas or handling the boat would be great. I intend to get help with lessons this spring but want to start wrapping my mind around things before then. Any suggestions, pictures or drawings would be greatly appreciated.

Al:

azguy

Aug 23, 2012
Catalina 22 Lake Pleasant
The first book I bought was sailing for dummies, it was seriously good and pretty cheap too. There are also many instructional videos on YouTube that are interesting to watch and cover everything from rigging to tacking and more.

Research who in your area does an ASA 101 class and do that, I took 101 and 103 and solo'd on my lake (On a C22) the next weekend after never having been on a sailboat before. I started for a few hours with just the main and then unfurled the head sail and was off and running.

http://www.asa.com/sailing-classes.html

Welcome

Nov 7, 2012
1978 Catalina 30 Wilbur-by-the-Sea
Google sailing lessons on youtube. Some good old vhs stuff on there for free.

Aug 22, 2011
MacGregor Venture V224 Cheeseland
I'm new to the forum, new to sailing and totally lost. Just purchased a 1984 Catalina c-25 and have no idea what I am in for any help concerning rigging the canvas or handling the boat would be great. I intend to get help with lessons this spring but want to start wrapping my mind around things before then. Any suggestions, pictures or drawings would be greatly appreciated.

Al:
We were all new once.

Like many newbies your post and the requests contained within are so broad in scope that no one will be able to give you definitive answers.

What I suggest is you learn about the subject yourself first. Dive in and read look listen learn. Learn the details of your ship. Read up on the sailing arts. Take some classes. Go sail with someone else. Get your hands dirty and your mind open. Pick one subject and study it and then select another and so on. Once you have an idea of what you are dealing with then you can ask more specific questions to people online. Often you will get 10 opinions that you have to select from - or not.

We bought a sailboat - made sure it had an anchor and anchor line, a working motor; and splashed it for better or worse. 3 days of comedy and we were way more knowledgeable sailors than when we left. That approach isn't for everybody. If your admiral likes to be comfy all the time ya better get another admiral :p I am exceptionally fortunate in that respect.

There are many ways to do any one thing in boats and many things that must be done. Its a an adventure, hell, a pain in the neck, a needless exhilarating expensive time sucking love hate kinda thing and only you can teach yourself it - other can only advise.

Welcome to it - you are going to love it.

Happy sails.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
It's advantageous to learn the lingo, sheet, clew, twing (and I still don't know exactly what that is :)), etc.

You'll love it.

Nov 20, 2013
Catalina C-25 Cleveland
Thanks for all of the support. I don't feel like I'm all alone in the middle of Lake Erie.
Al:

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
take the time to read a couple of books and tinker with the boat in the driveway or at the dock as you read.... explore and discover what they are talking about in the book, and, as has already been said, LEARN THE LINGO... its in all the books, and will help you communicate when you want to ask a technical question and get an answer you can understand... and you on a good forum here to do that...

I would strongly advise against taking the boat out on the water and hoisting the sails and trying to figure it out before reading a book about it.... it may be the death of your sailing career due to being overwhelmed with ropes, thingymabobs, dohickies, whachamacalits and some of the items that you dont even know what they are on the boat for...

although sailing lessons are a big help, I am not one to believe it is a necessary thing to have lessons to become proficient as a boat handler... good seamanship is borne in the heart, (for those that have it) and experience playing with the boat allows us to practice it...

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Welcome aboard! You've got a nice boat to start out on. A fun way to get into sailing is to rent or borrow a sailing dinghy. It only has one sail, and can't do a lot of damage (just kidding). It's a lot of fun, and they are so responsive, you can actually learn faster than you would on a bigger boat.
When you start sailing, you'll have some moments that are sometimes referred to as "exciting". I'll never forget the look on my Mom's face when I gybed my C23 in a stiff breeze, and she was hanging in mid air in the cabin. Funny now, though.
Anyway, you'll love it. Like my wife says, there's nothing better than that moment when you shut off the engine, and Mother Nature takes over.

Jul 19, 2013
Hunter 33 New Orleans
I envy you, you are about to embark on a journey which can truly take you to foreign ports and exotic lands. It is a great time to learn about sailing, so many resources at your finger tips. You must also learn safety, mechanics, navigation, etc. It is a journey well worth taking. Read the books, watch the videos. Learn the ropes, raise the sails the first time while tied to the dock, practice a tack at the dock, inspect all the rigging at the dock, identify all the lines and sheets at the dock. Check that all the rigging is secured and that cotter pins are in place. Lubricate all the sail slides, blocks, check every thing at the dock while learning their name and function. Then go out and learn to sail, make the mistakes we all have and learn from them, you will be surprised how fast you become a proficient sailor. You will never run out of things to learn, and the thrill of taking a boat out on the water will never cease.

Nov 18, 2012
Catalina 77 - 22 / 75 - 30 Lake Arthur, LA
If any things going to happen, it's going to happen out there, Boss

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Welcome to sailing! I'm a huge proponent of ASA 101. Especially since you've never sailed. You will learn important things that will flatten the curve. Although you can communicate without the proper lingo, it certainly makes communication more efficient. Take the course. You'll be glad you did!

Mar 22, 2012
Oday Rhodes 19 Redmond, WA
Lessons are good, they give you the lingo. But on-the-water experience is invaluable. How about geting involved in the racing community? Many boat owners campaign their boat in the local club racing scene as a way to regularly get out on the water. And many of those owners are looking for crew. I my experience there is no better way to learn the foundation of sailing than to be in the company of others, with greater experience, who are focused solely on making this boat go.

Jim

Nov 18, 2013
Oday 32 Ketch North Fort Myers, FL
All the above advice is valid and helpful but learning to sail is a hands on activity. Sailing with experienced competent skippers is an invaluable beginning but you will progress quicker with your own hands on the tiller. After having taught many friends to sail, the best advice is to set sail and gain experience as the boat teaches you. The boat will be your best instructor but keep in mind the smaller the boat the less costly and painful the lessons will be. If you really screw up in a sunfish you'll get wet. The same lesson learned in a big boat can lead to big $s and embarrassment and possible injury. Remember, as much as today's sailors and boatowners have come to rely on electronics and gadgets, the first sailor was a caveman floating home on a log with his bearskin hung up to dry. He found then that his log got home on the wind without having to paddle. Best advice: Get on the water and leave plenty of space around you.

Highest regards,

Darrell

Jun 12, 2010
Oday 22 Orleans Marina, NOLA
It's advantageous to learn the lingo, sheet, clew, twing (and I still don't know exactly what that is :))
Isn't that what Miley Cyrus got in trouble for?

Oh, and welcome awerman. I only recently moved from newbie to intermediate...sailing for dummies is good, once you learn your boats rigging and how to use it, the best way to learn to sail is to sail...on nice days with not over 10ks of wind to start. It's a beautiful thing. If you can find an experienced sailor ask to go out with them, I don't know many sailors that would turn down the chance to introduce a newbie to sailing.

Feb 27, 2005
Hunter 33.5 Missouri
Reach out to some local clubs and ask/offer to crew. Explain your position and your desire to learn. You might be surprised how many invites you receive. Do all the above as well. I wouldn't recommend going out the first time without any experience at all unless of course you're on a protected body of water in something like the aforementioned Sunfish.