New LED Masthead Light

Oct 15, 2018
Catalina 30 Baltimore, MD
Hello All,

This is officially my first post to this forum. I always search the archives for any info that I need, because I've always found that someone else has already asked it. But in this case I couldn't find anything and I thought I'd give it a try.
I just recently became the proud owner of a mint-condition, one-owner 1988 Hunter 26.5. Well, not everything is mint condition. I have been finding a few things that need upgraded. The Nav Lights to name one. The fixtures are all intact but not working and the lenses are sun-damaged. I am replacing the lower nav lights with new LED ones, but when the time comes to climb the mast to address the masthead light, I would just as soon have a new one in hand and be done with it. I'd rather spend a few bucks on an LED one and not have to worry about it for a while, rather than just replacing a bad bulb for now. I'd also like to do this in one day.
So, are the masthead lights pretty universal? Is there a good (but not too expensive) light that anyone can recommend that will work? If I have to go up one day and check it out and return another day, that's fine too.

Thanks in advance. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ryan
(Bay Tripper)

Oct 15, 2018
I guess so. My VHF Antenna is on the mast. Is that a big issue with masthead lights? Or just LED lights?

Oct 15, 2018
Thanks Gunni. That’s a good read. Maybe I’ll just stick to replacing the bulb for now. I’m sure the wife will be happier with that choice.