New leak source '84 h27

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 27_75-84 Wilmington, NC
For 10 years now, since purchasing Radiant Beam, I have been trying to eliminate water leaks, both salt and rain water. I've tightened toe rail and rail nuts, sealed the toe rail, replaced and resealed ports and hatches, replaced exhaust hoses and muffler, and just recently replaced packing for the rudder shaft. But a few days ago I noticed a puddle near the stern under the fuel tank and muffler. After some searching and with luck it was raining, I saw drips under the cockpit floor. Checked scuppers and pulpet base, but no luck. I have always seen some water in the rudder shaft, looking down thru where the emergency tillter fits so tried adding water in there - sure enough, the water is the rudder shaft started dropping and went below to see active dripping occurring.
I don't understand how the water is getting in from the rudder shaft but it is the source, and a new one for me. Now just need a cap/cover to put over the top of the rudder saft. Anyone ever see this before?

Attachments

Jun 25, 2012
hunter 356 Kemah,the Republic of Texas
amcmahon said:
For 10 years now, since purchasing Radiant Beam, I have been trying to eliminate water leaks, both salt and rain water. I've tightened toe rail and rail nuts, sealed the toe rail, replaced and resealed ports and hatches, replaced exhaust hoses and muffler, and just recently replaced packing for the rudder shaft. But a few days ago I noticed a puddle near the stern under the fuel tank and muffler. After some searching and with luck it was raining, I saw drips under the cockpit floor. Checked scuppers and pulpet base, but no luck. I have always seen some water in the rudder shaft, looking down thru where the emergency tillter fits so tried adding water in there - sure enough, the water is the rudder shaft started dropping and went below to see active dripping occurring.
I don't understand how the water is getting in from the rudder shaft but it is the source, and a new one for me. Now just need a cap/cover to put over the top of the rudder saft. Anyone ever see this before?
Try a PVC end cap fitting see if that helps.... You may also want to add some sort of rubber seal around the lip of the cap. It also looks like you could us a new plastic spacer bearing while your at it.

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 27_75-84 Mayo, MD
covering top of shaft

The top of the shaft is covered by the lazarette in the down position. Hard to believe a significant amount of water could get it from the top...

Jun 5, 2010
Hunter 25 Burlington NJ
Collar-?

Yes; your photo your collar looks like it has a crack in it. This could be failing to provide a seal around the outside of the shaft and allowing water under it to slither down the outside of the shaft into the lazzarette.

dakno

Jun 22, 2009
Hunter 41DS new orleans
I had the same cracked Teflon collar retainer on my h27 that crumbled and had a aluminum replacement made with teflon washer between it and hull

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 27_75-84 Wilmington, NC
Sorry for the confusion, the picture I posted was an old photo - I replaced the delrin bushing last year, so not related to the leak. I have found a plastic cover, but still wonder how water is getting from inside the rudder shaft and end up drippin from under the cockpit floor. Thanks.

Jan 4, 2007
Hunter 30 Centerport
I had an older h27 and could not find the leak until I noticed a few pin holes on the underside of the stainless steel muffler. The motor was raw water cooled so there was no overheating. Hard to spot because it leaked only when running and its hard to see with the noise and vibration of the motor. Didn't have funds for a new muffler so I pulled if out, wrapped it in fiberglass cloth and polyester resin I had in house and was back in business. 8 years later the new owner is still putting around with the same muffler.

Jun 5, 2010
Hunter 25 Burlington NJ
re: Amcmahon's rudder shaft

Amcmahon, can you get us a picture of the underside of your cockpit-seat hatches, specifically at the top of the mast tube where the quadrant goes?

You might consider wrapping a dry towel or even taping paper towels around the top of the mast tube and then going sailing before inspecting how dry they stay. I'm willing to expect that the rudder shaft's stuffing box is leaking, which is more often the case under power than under sail. Prop wash tends to spiral up the rudder shaft and hit that thing with more force from the other side than you might expect.

Status
Not open for further replies.