New leak problem on 34

May 6, 2010
1984 Oday 39 79 Milwaukee
The last several weeks I have noticed the bottom of the bulkhead next to the sink in the head is wet. At first I thought it was from the bottle of Odorlos I keep under the sink having fallen over on it's side and leaking, however I have removed the bottle from under the sink for the last couple weeks and still seem to have wetness. I also checked the plumbing under the sink and there may be a very small amount of water leaking from the sink drain. One of my winter projects is to replace the drain and the faucet, however not sure what sort of drain I can get as a replacement that will adapt to the hose to the overboard discharge - the current arrangement is pretty hokey. I am pretty sure for the little we use this sink that the few drips that emanate from the drain are not enough to cause what I am seeing on the bulkhead, but other than that I am at a loss to explain where it is coming from? We are only on the boat on the weekend, and when we arrive on Friday night, the bulkhead is wet - the drain certainly is not leaking during the week when not being used. The attached photos show the drain, and the area under the floor in the vanity cabinet, and the bulkhead from both sides.

Attachments

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Could be leaking port or hatch but doesn't look like it. Looks more like sink drain or shower water. If you leave that port open as I do, could be rain water getting in the sink and leaking? Sorry I can't be more helpful but that's about the only leak we haven't had yet.

May 6, 2010
I do leave that port cracked when we are off the boat, but until this weekend we haven't had rain in a long time. I am wondering now if the Odorlos leaked and stained the wood, but it does feel like it could still be wet. So hard to tell because often there is a little condensation on the floor there when the air is warm and the water is cold.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Right above that bulkhead is you forward lower shroud u-bolt chainplate. Access is through the cabinet above the sink. See if it is leaking. I re-bed mine and had to do minor headliner surgery with an oscillating tool to access the nuts efficiently. Otherwise could also be a stanchion leaking. Notice the wet goes up the bulkhead along the pan on the port side, makes me think the leak is up above there. Also where does that fiber reinforced hose go? My sink drain thru hull is right behind the sink?

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Why is there a Phillips head screw in your sink drain? Your hose should not have that big droop in it if that hose goes to a thru hull. It will collect water and grow crud and clog up and stink. See if you can run it all downhill to the thru hull.

May 30, 2006
Oday 34 Chesapeake Bay
Jibes, Karma's drain line also had a droop which I straightened out. Kinda wish that I had not. The droop makes a good p-trap to prevent critters from finding their way in.

May want to check your mast boot for leaks as well. Water has a mind of it's own and will run to the craziest places.

May 6, 2010
Thanks for the replies. The deck re-core project two winters ago took care of the chain plates and stanchions - there is no water coming in there. The view of the inside of the vanity shows the water starting at the vanity floor level so I am leaning toward the drain, even though it sure doesn't seem enough water could come from there given how little we use it. @jibes138 the screw is to hold the copper adaptor which is gooped up with 4200 or something to seal it to the threads on the tailpiece for the drain - like I said it is a hokey arrangement but it came to us that way. I am a little surprised by the comments to take the loop out of the drain hose. I read an article in Boat US magazine or one of the others a few years ago about carbon monoxide from the exhaust of a neighboring boat's generator getting into a boat through the sink drain, and the article encouraged a loop in place of a p-trap to prevent such an occurrence. Granted the chances are slim, but it's not something I would ever think about when we spend time in a marina.

May 6, 2010

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
no problem, only thing is flange is thicker than stock. (i say stock, because mine was the same when I took it out, looked hokey, but was apparently factory). So water drainage may leave some around the flange. when not in use if you close the flapper, no CO.

May 14, 2012
Oday 25 Shoal draft Mystic
My 25 had a pumpout deckpipe that leaked due to lack of bedding maintenance and rotted the lower corner of the bulkhead. My sink drain is the same arrangement. The potmetal nut stripped out and I couldnt get the copper piece off. The drain is an odd diameter size so all I can do is caulk it and put a hose clamp on against the nut. Put in a seacock gor piece of mind.

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
For several years we had an issue with the sink drain line coming off the bottom of the plastic sink as the metal gasket holding it on would loosen. I have fixed it three times, finally had a slip neighbor agree he would try to fix the gasket so it would stay put when using the sink...it was a very difficult fix as your forearm had to go thru the opening (screwed) port and just getting in position to stick your arm way up under the sink...but we (he) succeeded and it has not been an issue since maybe 2014....issue, the rubber hose from the drain itself is the actual issue as the water system will pulsate, thereby loosening the hose from the bottom of the sink....seems simple, but it is not.. we tried caulks, plastic cements, metal clamps, etc. Is holding this year so far... Pat

Oct 7, 2008
Oday Oday 35 Chesapeake Bay
I have the same issue. The drain appears to be factory because I had the same one. I was considering joining the drain hose for a new bilge pump which led me to replace the drain assembly. (I decided not to join the bilge pump to the drain through hole btw). I had to cut the drain pipe because the copper reducer would not come off. I found a replacement drain that fit at Lowes in their RV plumbing section. I did not find a suitable connector to the hose to the through hull so I had to use the same hokey set up. This area does not seem to be leaking but I still get water in this area that results in a wet toilet paper roll. I'm going to investigate the hand pump next.