Registered users don't see ads

New leak problem on 34

Discussion in 'Bigger Boats' started by Sefuller, Oct 7, 2017. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. Sefuller

Sefuller

Joined May 6, 2010
    277 posts, 29 likes
    Oday 34
    US Milwaukee
    The last several weeks I have noticed the bottom of the bulkhead next to the sink in the head is wet. At first I thought it was from the bottle of Odorlos I keep under the sink having fallen over on it's side and leaking, however I have removed the bottle from under the sink for the last couple weeks and still seem to have wetness. I also checked the plumbing under the sink and there may be a very small amount of water leaking from the sink drain. One of my winter projects is to replace the drain and the faucet, however not sure what sort of drain I can get as a replacement that will adapt to the hose to the overboard discharge - the current arrangement is pretty hokey. I am pretty sure for the little we use this sink that the few drips that emanate from the drain are not enough to cause what I am seeing on the bulkhead, but other than that I am at a loss to explain where it is coming from? We are only on the boat on the weekend, and when we arrive on Friday night, the bulkhead is wet - the drain certainly is not leaking during the week when not being used. The attached photos show the drain, and the area under the floor in the vanity cabinet, and the bulkhead from both sides.

Attached Files:

2. njlarry

njlarry

Joined Sep 23, 2009
    1,191 posts, 82 likes
    O'Day 34-At Last
    US Rock Hall, Md
    Could be leaking port or hatch but doesn't look like it. Looks more like sink drain or shower water. If you leave that port open as I do, could be rain water getting in the sink and leaking? Sorry I can't be more helpful but that's about the only leak we haven't had yet.

Sefuller likes this.
  3. Sefuller

Sefuller

Joined May 6, 2010
    277 posts, 29 likes
    Oday 34
    US Milwaukee
    I do leave that port cracked when we are off the boat, but until this weekend we haven't had rain in a long time. I am wondering now if the Odorlos leaked and stained the wood, but it does feel like it could still be wet. So hard to tell because often there is a little condensation on the floor there when the air is warm and the water is cold.

4. jibes138

jibes138

Joined Jan 27, 2008
    2,700 posts, 76 likes
    ODay 35
    US Beaufort, NC
    Right above that bulkhead is you forward lower shroud u-bolt chainplate. Access is through the cabinet above the sink. See if it is leaking. I re-bed mine and had to do minor headliner surgery with an oscillating tool to access the nuts efficiently. Otherwise could also be a stanchion leaking. Notice the wet goes up the bulkhead along the pan on the port side, makes me think the leak is up above there. Also where does that fiber reinforced hose go? My sink drain thru hull is right behind the sink?

5. jibes138

jibes138

Joined Jan 27, 2008
    2,700 posts, 76 likes
    ODay 35
    US Beaufort, NC
    Why is there a Phillips head screw in your sink drain? Your hose should not have that big droop in it if that hose goes to a thru hull. It will collect water and grow crud and clog up and stink. See if you can run it all downhill to the thru hull.

6. Apex

Apex

Joined Jun 19, 2013
    603 posts, 40 likes
    Oday 28
    US Muskegon

7. SailingCal21

SailingCal21

Joined May 30, 2006
    250 posts, 3 likes
    Oday 34
    US Chesapeake Bay
    Jibes, Karma's drain line also had a droop which I straightened out. Kinda wish that I had not. The droop makes a good p-trap to prevent critters from finding their way in.

May want to check your mast boot for leaks as well. Water has a mind of it's own and will run to the craziest places.

8. Sefuller

Sefuller

Joined May 6, 2010
    277 posts, 29 likes
    Oday 34
    US Milwaukee
    Thanks for the replies. The deck re-core project two winters ago took care of the chain plates and stanchions - there is no water coming in there. The view of the inside of the vanity shows the water starting at the vanity floor level so I am leaning toward the drain, even though it sure doesn't seem enough water could come from there given how little we use it. @jibes138 the screw is to hold the copper adaptor which is gooped up with 4200 or something to seal it to the threads on the tailpiece for the drain - like I said it is a hokey arrangement but it came to us that way. I am a little surprised by the comments to take the loop out of the drain hose. I read an article in Boat US magazine or one of the others a few years ago about carbon monoxide from the exhaust of a neighboring boat's generator getting into a boat through the sink drain, and the article encouraged a loop in place of a p-trap to prevent such an occurrence. Granted the chances are slim, but it's not something I would ever think about when we spend time in a marina.

9. Sefuller

Sefuller

Joined May 6, 2010
    277 posts, 29 likes
    Oday 34
    US Milwaukee
    That is exactly the kind of thing I have been looking for - thank you!

10. Apex

Apex

Joined Jun 19, 2013
    603 posts, 40 likes
    Oday 28
    US Muskegon
    no problem, only thing is flange is thicker than stock. (i say stock, because mine was the same when I took it out, looked hokey, but was apparently factory). So water drainage may leave some around the flange. when not in use if you close the flapper, no CO.

Teak companionway doors
Amazing artisan quality, custom made to fit your boat.
20% OFF innovative boat clips!
FixClip holds laundry, tools, anything to rails and life lines even in strong winds.
Too hot? INSTANT BIMINI ESTIMATES
Low prices, custom fit, no-wait estimates
Merriman pedestal control head
Finally, an aluminum replacement for this YS Merriman part.