Registered users don't see ads

New Kells 23 owner to perform restoration

Discussion in 'Ask All Sailors' started by FireDiven, Aug 9, 2018. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. FireDiven

FireDiven

Joined Aug 9, 2018
    2 posts, 2 likes
    Kells 23
    Undetermined US Lenoir, NC
    Hello everyone. My dad gave me a Kells 23 that has been fully gutted on the inside. It appears Kells 23 info is limited on the internet. I have never owned a sailboat nor been sailing but am an avid DIY'er. I have some gelcoat cracks, missing the front hatch, and the companionway hatch has had a piece of plywood screwed to the top. The winch for the keel looks in rough shape. I have cleaned all the mold out of the inside. I would really like to get it water ready asap if possible but have the winter to work on it if not possible. I really am not sure where to start. What should I do first. I have a mainsail and jib. I would appreciate all the advice I can get 20180729_091146.jpg 20180802_160433.jpg 20180802_155709.jpg 20180802_160324.jpg 20180802_155236.jpg 20180802_160317.jpg 20180802_155109.jpg 20180802_155223.jpg

jssailem likes this.
  2. kloudie1

kloudie1

Joined Nov 6, 2006
    7,906 posts, 542 likes
    Hunter 34
    US Mandeville Louisiana
    Welcome to the forum!
    First, get it rainwater tight.. (ports, hatches, deck hardware bedding) Next, structure inside (replace rotted and delaminated stuff.. add stuff if missing).. then it is time to get the mast and rigging looked at and if OK, take her out !.. next is cosmetics. Good luck

3. tipsyravensailing

tipsyravensailing

Joined Apr 25, 2017
    184 posts, 34 likes
    pearson 26
    US holland mi
    i just got my pearson into the water after rebuilding it and i didn't have as much questionable wood. i dunno - looks like a long term project. Trailered? looks trailered. What condition is the mast and rigging in? is there an outboard? any electrical system? i saw some stuff through the cabin top there.

I agree though, make it water tight, get it covered so it doesn't get more wet, make sure the keel ain't gonna snap off, the rudder isn't going to vanish into the deep and that the mast wont collapse the first time you pull on the halyard :) past that, yeah. get to it when you get to it.

Take a lot, and i mean, a lot, of pictures. not for us. for you. so you remember how it goes back together. *sage first hand knowledge for you* lol

4. tipsyravensailing

tipsyravensailing

Joined Apr 25, 2017
    184 posts, 34 likes
    pearson 26
    US holland mi
    went digging for you. don't know if you have this material yet

upload_2018-8-9_13-37-38.png

upload_2018-8-9_13-38-19.png

seems like it might be helpful :)

5. tipsyravensailing

tipsyravensailing

Joined Apr 25, 2017
    184 posts, 34 likes
    pearson 26
    US holland mi
    http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=63 and this :) can't find parts for the thing though... gotta find out who manufactured the mast if you want to rebuild it... or you're stuck fabricating your own parts. sailrite has sail info tho https://www.sailrite.com/Kells-23-Mast-Head-Rig-Sail-Data but ... seems lacking. https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/wood-block-under-mast.173280/ other kells owner on this thread but almost 4 years ago. http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f116/my-kells-23-in-need-of-help-16965.html another but even older.

https://www.dwyermast.com/items.asp?cat1ID=20&cat1Name=&familyID=41&familyName=DM-450+Mast i kept hitting dwyer trying to find the mast manufacturer. ... no promises though. might not hurt to contact and see if thats actually who did your mast.

If it were me, i'd probably go over the top engineering it all out. But at the end of the day if the mast will mount solidly and the compression to keel is good and the keel retracts and deploys and same with rudder and rudder moves free... you can always get a tow back in. haha. i'd personally try to find a outboard, 6 or 8 would be plenty of hp, so you can save yourself, as well as get away from the shore before pulling up the sails first time. anyways. fun project. i'm glad mine is sailing but i'm kinda jealous. :D

6. FireDiven

FireDiven

Joined Aug 9, 2018
    2 posts, 2 likes
    Kells 23
    Undetermined US Lenoir, NC
    I can't wait to look through all this. Moved my 18 yr old off to college today so kinda in the middle of that. The mast itself looks to be in good shape. I haven't went over it yet except for raising it. I do have a 8 hp Johnson outboard for it though I haven't even looked at it either. I guess I need to get it to the water to make sure it doesn't leak and to test the keel. Does anyone have any photos as to what it is actually supposed to look like on the inside? I'll probably mull over the links y'all sent and get back to ya with a ton more questions. I definitely need a replacement front hatch and need to rebuild the cabin doors.

tipsyravensailing likes this.
  7. tipsyravensailing

tipsyravensailing

Joined Apr 25, 2017
    184 posts, 34 likes
    pearson 26
    US holland mi

8. tipsyravensailing

tipsyravensailing

Joined Apr 25, 2017
    184 posts, 34 likes
    pearson 26
    US holland mi

Gray ports and parts
The most popular port on boats built from the 70s into the 90s.
20% OFF innovative boat clips!
FixClip holds laundry, tools, anything to rails and life lines even in strong winds.
Teak companionway doors
Amazing artisan quality, custom made to fit your boat.
NEW rigid hatch covers
Hatch protection like never before. Tough, secure, installs in seconds.