New Isinglass got small scratch

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
Replaced all isinglass on my incloser last summer. I dropped a winch handle on one of the side panels yesterday while cleaning up in the cabin.
I always remove them and store them inside for the winter on blankets to prevent them from getting scratched.
Careless mistake Now I have about a three inch scratch.
Any ideas on how the remove this scratch?
Is it possible?
Is was considering using a heat gun rather then polish.
Any suggestions would be awesome.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
I'd be afraid of what a heat gun can do.
Be careful with polishing compounds as they can certainly cause distortion if you take off too much meat.

Ken

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Why do you believe a heat gun would solve the problem?

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
I have used a heat gun on plastic bumper and trim panels on cars
And it worked amazing. When you put armor oil on trim it looks good for a few weeks but then fades back to the oxidized plastic.

When you use a heat gun somehow it brings the oils of the plastic back to the surface or rehydrates it. I'm not really sure what it does? All I know is it works and last for years. Did the trim on my old 2001 jeep about five years ago and still looks great!!!

I have one of my old side curtains that base on everyone suggestions I was going to use it as a test piece.

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
SG
Don't know yet? I haven't tried it?
I was hopeful that the white scratch maybe will fade with heat.
Willing to try anything at this point.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Have you tried some scratch remover like
Meguiar's® Scratch-X (G-10307)

There are others that make various similar products. I'd try that first.

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
For scratches in face shields & plastic wind screens, I've used the 3 step Novus polish system with pretty good results. I haven't tried it on isinglass though.

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
When you use a heat gun somehow it brings the oils of the plastic back to the surface or rehydrates it. I'm not really sure what it does? All I know is it works and last for years. Did the trim on my old 2001 jeep about five years ago and still looks great!!!
In the past I have seen "flame polishing" of machined poly-carbonate. It leaves a nice finish, but it also leaves the material with internal stresses that can cause the material to become brittle. I haven't tried it with isinglass

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I have very good results from Meguires plastic X and had dodger windows so bad I was getting prices for new ones
with some really bad scratches and some bad marks and unclear view, until I was told about Plastic X with a small buffing pad on portable 12 volt drill.
My windows look so good and look like new and bad scratches and bad marks gone,apply the plastic X liquid on the windows and use the buffing pad like compounding the hull of a boat until marks and scratches gone and foggy view gone and very clear looking window like new,I used a small orange pad made to go on drill chuck.
I tried other products that were suppose to to remove scratches and make plastic clearer but nothing worked as good as Plastic X .
Nick

Last edited:
Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Without knowing the actual product that was used for the windows, it's impossible to suggest a fix. If it's a product such as Strataglass, O'sea, Regalite, Crystal Clear etc. I would suggest not polishing it and just live with the scratch. If it will not go away with IMAR's Strataglass Protective Cleaner #301, just live with it. These products, and some others, are treated/coated to be more optically clear & polishing them removes/damages this optical and scratch resistant coating beyond where just where the scratch was. I have seen customers destroy brand new Strataglass etc. in a few weeks by trying to polish out a scratch....

No matter what the product use IMAR's #301 religiously! I do mine once a week or bi-weekly at a minimum during the season. With regular use of IMAR #301 you can avoid harsh abrasives for as long as 10+ years. Only polish "treated" products, such as those mentioned above, when absolutely necessary for the longest life.

If your glass is indeed basic isinglass polish away (I would recommend IMAR #302 for this), but be sure to use IMAR's #301 regularly because un-coated isinglass does not last well, if not cared for.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
No matter what the product use IMAR's #301 religiously! I do mine once a week or bi-weekly at a minimum during the season. With regular use of IMAR #301 you can avoid harsh abrasives for as long as 10+ years. Only polish "treated" products, such as those mentioned above, when absolutely necessary for the longest life.

If your glass is indeed basic isinglass polish away (I would recommend IMAR #302 for this), but be sure to use IMAR's #301 regularly because un-coated isinglass does not last well, if not cared for.
Thanks, I needed that.

Ken

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
Toothpaste - I use it on my motorcycle windshields and for restoring CDs. It has a very fine abrasive that is still good for visibility.

Mar 3, 2003
Hunter 356 Grand Rivers
Nick: Do you have stratiglass or something else. I’ve got some water stains on my center panel where I left it rolled up last summer and water collected and has clouded where it collected. Before I replace it, I think iI’m going to try some polish. Anybody tried aggressive polish on stratiglass? You can see the horizontal areas if you zoom into this photo. It looks like clouded plastic almost all the way across in three areas with clear glass between. Look just below the center of the dinghy tubes and about halfway up between hat line and the top. It’s just where you want to look while cruising with the window zipped closed.
17AE16DE-62AF-4CBC-8327-D5F3F7958EA3.jpeg

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Jerry,
If the cloudiness is a calcification, you may find that white vinegar MIGHT dissolve the salts (or minerals). I would not rub it first. I would try to dissolve the coating.

If it is scratched, but clean, then you might try polishing. If you try to polish a frites surface that isn’t clean, I think you’d do more damage.

That's what I'd try.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2003
Hunter 356 Grand Rivers
Thanks. I’ll try white vinegar. It is from rain water, but it is like a white cloudy film, but could be a change in the plastic. I have not tried anything other than alcohol to get it off. Not sure which.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Don’t use alcohol. Don’t use Windex with any ammonia (there is a ammonia free Windex which is all you should use on a boat or windshield wipers/gaskets, etc ).

White vinegar might not work—but let it do it’s thing without abrasion.

The polishing agents intended for vinyl would be next.

Aug 28, 2006
Bavaria 35E seattle
DOn't use vinegar. I friend just ruined his isinglass with vinegar and is now looking for a solution to his self-imposed problem.