New iPad

Feb 28, 2013
Pacific Seacraft 40 Belfast
My wife has given me a cellular iPad. Until now we had no smart phones or tablets, just computers with WIFI so I have a lot to learn. I know that a lot of you have been using iPads on your boat and am looking for suggestions. What apps do you use and like? So far I have Garmin BlueChart so I can see Active Captain data. The boat has a chart plotter in the cockpit so I don't think I need any navigation apps. What else should I be considering? Thanks.

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter 41DS Punta Gorda, FL
Chris we use our iPad all the time when sailing. It is not only a great chart backup for our Raymarine e120 but a awesome reference for all sorts of other information. We have BlueCharts as well but we really like iSailor (especially for its anchor alarm and trip logging). If you plan on going offshore (more than 7 miles) you might consider a bluetooth GPS for it. We use Bad Elf. For tides I like TideTrac and realTide. For weather Predictwind, MyRadar Pro and WeatherBug. You will find that some work better in some situations than others. Have fun and enjoy!

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Use iBooks to store electronic copies of your manuals. Most of these can be downloaded from somewhere.

Some chart plotters/MFDs are wifi capable and the iPad can be used as a repeater. Same with AIS, the Vesper Marine AIS's will display on an iPad or iPhone.

The GPS chip on the cellular iPad is good enough that an external gps is not necessary. The location services are more accurate with cell phone signals, but when you are out of range of cell towers there won't be many things to worry about hitting so a little less accuracy is acceptable.

Feb 11, 2017
Gulfstar 47 NC
Cris, I also use a pro -chart app which is a google earth view. Just another tool. Love the Garmin on the iPad.

Blye

Feb 11, 2017
I love my ipad onboard. Got a ebay case and a big strip of velcro to attach it so I can see it when at the helm. Nice big picture and easy to use. I have a Dual blue-tooth external GPS that works well. (get the multi blue tooth users model)

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Good news is you got the iPad with cellular services, that means you got a built-in GPS. Only way to go for total portability. After that you just need to make sure you have any charting, maps, or documents resident on the device. ISailor is my favorite. You will then be able to navigate and open you documents without ANY internet connection. I'm not a big fan of iPad navigation but when we travel OCONUS it is a valuable backup nav tool to whatever shows up on the vessel or vehicle we get stuck with. FYI Verizon Wireless now allows you to use your US cell and data plan in many countries by paying a flat fee of $10 /day or less.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Some chart plotters/MFDs are wifi capable and the iPad can be used as a repeater.
Here is a picture of "Captain iPad" at the helm while underway.
Cpt_iPad.jpg

I was eating lunch in the shade, meanwhile controlling Auto Pilot, watching Radar and depth.
My iPad is same size as my MFD.

Jim...

Hagar

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 42 Olympia Washington
If you have the iPad Air then you have a "real" GPS built in. There is some confusion about this since Apple calls it "Assisted GPS". That term has caused a lot of people to think it is somehow not a real GPS. The "assisted" means that IF you have cellular or Wifi the iPad will use that information to find your location quickly. Then the GPS takes over. This is used in place of the blind start you get with a GPS receiver moved to a new location. Not much of an issue on our boats but if you fly from Portland to Frankfurt and power it up it uses the assisted feature to get a fix in a few seconds. It is also a good thing if you are in a place without good GPS signals like a large city where the buildings block the signal. Then the cellular is used for a fix. We do not have a cellular data plan for our iPad Air and it gives location information as good as our chartplotter GPS.

Jan 11, 2014
We do not have a cellular data plan for our iPad Air and it gives location information as good as our chartplotter GPS.
A cell plan is not needed to get a gps fix with the iPad. The gps chip is part of the cellular chip, it works regardless of whether you have a cell plan. Wifi only iPads do not have cell chip and thus do not have any gps capability and must rely on the wifi network to locate itself.

Just checked the accuracy of my gen 2 iPad and it located itself about 20 feet from its actual location based on the Maps app. Even with wifi off, it found itself pretty quickly. But I couldn't check the accuracy because the satellite images couldn't download.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
@Chris Gordon, I would also encourage you to do a search on IPad on the board. There have been many discussions and you should find a host of information. Personally I much prefer Android.

As mentioned before, you do not need cellular service to use the GPS function of the IPad. So if you do not plan on using it, turn the radio off to conserve battery power. Also, Apple devices like to try and phone home for updates. You might want to find that function and disable it. There is a story of a visually impaired sailor running aground because his IPad try to phone home rendering his charting app useless. Granted we are not suppose to use these devices for navigation, but really, who isn't doing that? LOL

Enjoy the IPad!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I found connecting my iPad to the Vesper AIS to be a very good combination. The Vesper provides a robust GPS signal and all of the AIS data available. Only issue is the brightness of the screen. In full sun the screen is difficult to see even using max screen brightness.

Brian, what about the Android, regarding screen brightness in full sun.

Wondering if anyone has found a solution for this, beyond getting shades for the iPad.

Feb 17, 2006
JSS, no different. The best phone I ever had regarding screen visibility in daylight was the Blackberry 8820. It was just amazing how visible that screen was.

Oct 22, 2014
Yes I to had a blackberry... Been in the drawer for 5 years. Not very useful for navigation.

Jan 11, 2014
Wondering if anyone has found a solution for this, beyond getting shades for the iPad.
iPad Air 2 case | WaterProof. DropProof. | LifeProof

Works well, with 3 caveats. First, it takes a bit of practice to actually install the case as it makes a really tight seal. And second if left in the sun, it will cause the iPad to overheat. The iPad will then shut down and will not restart until it is cool. The unit can not be recharged in the case.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
iPad Air 2 case | WaterProof. DropProof. | LifeProof

Works well, with 3 caveats. First, it takes a bit of practice to actually install the case as it makes a really tight seal. And second if left in the sun, it will cause the iPad to overheat. The iPad will then shut down and will not restart until it is cool. The unit can not be recharged in the case.
I have this exact case and the overheating/shut down is only marginally worse than no case at all. Overheating of iPhones and iPads in direct sun is just a realty of these devices and the requirement to protect the Li batteries..

As for charging there is a waterproof door and when using an Apple brand cable it makes a very tight seal around the plug..

Jan 11, 2014
As for charging there is a waterproof door and when using an Apple brand cable it makes a very tight seal around the plug..
This must be an improvement. I have the original case for the 2nd gen iPad and it did not have the door.

Feb 17, 2006
Gee, a gallon size ziploc bag does the same thing. With the exception of being bounce proof. I use a gallon size ziploc bag for my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 tablet. Works great.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
If you want to use a bag to protect your gear, use a pro-mil.grade bag. Loksak
https://loksak.com/

These aren't your cheap leaky kitchen plastic bags, these are tough, rubbery zip bags with superior closures. I have some that are 20 years old and still in service. Drop a silica gel packet in the bag for extra protection.

Oct 22, 2014
So, from the responses of this query it appears there are no easy choices for an iPad/Android/Surface tablet with a screen brightness that can be used in a sunny cockpit. Blackberry is dead.