New Hyde Sails... How they Fit

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Catalina Jaguar 22 Simons Town
Hi Guys, some interesting learning for me here regarding sails but it seems my previous post question has been missed...

"One thing that has come up though was loose footed main or bolt rope main. What would you go with if you had to buy a new main sail?"

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Same here.
Thanks the reply, and how about reefing points?

The boom on my boat has the "boom type roller reefer" arrangement. I have never sailed with this type of arrangement before. Does this work for a loose footed main? Comments = pro's or con's?

greg_m

May 23, 2017
post #22... boat 73 = Are mine eyes deceiving me or does it have no windows?

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I can't see a roller furling boom working with a loose footed sail. There may be such systems out there.
I'd like to know if there are, what problems, if any they might have.
Alignment and creases at the foot come to mind.
- Will (Dragonfly)

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
post #22... boat 73 = Are mine eyes deceiving me or does it have no windows?
Yup no windows = no leaks. Boat name is Area 51 (government name for top secret base in the desert where some believe they hide aliens!) so it's rather befitting don't you think?

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I recommend two reef points, especially based on things you've said about where you live. We have two points, and if I could I'd make them deeper than what they are. Small canvas turns scary and dangerous into safe and fun. :)

Our Albin Vega has boom roller reefing also, but we haven't splashed her yet so I have no firsthand experience. But based on the very lukewarm feedback from other Vega owners, we plan to convert her to slab reefing.

Yeah, the boat in post #22 appears to have no poptop, no windows AND no forward hatch. A pure racer for sure.

bushav

Aug 18, 2015
Catalina 22 Panama City, FL
I passed on the second reefing point from Hyde for only $20. Installed second reefing point locally after the first season with new sail - $350. Does that help the decision?

Lane