New Hunter 33's

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bieswax

Anchor

I am interested in your thoughts about the stock anchor that comes with the new 33. People who cruise have referred to the anchor as a "lunch hook". Has anyone upgraded?

Jun 22, 2004
- - Oriental NC
anchor upgrade

We have bought a 22 lb Danforth style, six feet of chain, and 150 ft rode. The flukes are to long for the stainless bow sprit and hit the fibergass bow under the bow sprit. So we have put the new one in the lazzarette for an extra. I think the 18 lb that came with the boat is to small but Hunter put ten feet of chain on to make up for the size. Hunter should have put a six inch longer sprit on the bow. Maybe the more expensive plow style would have fit. Anyone tried that?

AndyK

Mar 10, 2004
Hunter 33 Salem, MA
Anchor upgrade too

We upgraded to a delta 22lb with 30 feet of chain and 200 feet of anchor line, giving us enough for a 7:1 anchor set in 30 feet of water. I've also used stainless steel wire on the shackles to prevent them from backing off at the wrong time. We'll use the other anchor as a spare.

Jun 2, 2004
- - Sausalito
Behind the wheel....

Cute. ;D Actually, once we're sailing, it's just big grins behind the wheel! I love the way the boat sails, I don't think it can be beat! We've had two sailboats before this 33, and this one beats both of them at sailing, whether we're in 35 or in 4 knots of wind, and everything in between.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 41ac Topping, VA
27 vs 29 HP explained

My 33 #128 also has the 29hp engine. The dealer explained that Yanmar had just replaced the 3GM30 (27hp) with a new 3YM30 (29hp) and the 33 was the first boat to get the new engine because of Hunter's close relationship with Yanmar. The following is from the Yanmar website: YM Series NEW 3YM30 (29HP/21kW) More displacement, more torque, quieter, cleaner running and featuring an all-new three-cylinder block and combustion system. This is the latest in high output marine diesel technology. So who wouldn't want the latest version? Barry Bear Necessity H33 #128

Jun 2, 2004
- - Sausalito
Gregg - the next step in fixing our whine - FYI

Gregg: I told you before that we had the stuffing box and all that jazz taken apart, etc. I just received a note from Hunter saying they still don't know what is causing the problem are going to send a new propeller to see if that fixes it. I'll let you know if that works. Please let me know how they take care of your whine. Thanks. Elaine

Feb 26, 2004
- - Burnt Store Marina
The Whine

The whine on my 306 started at 1500 rpms and stopped at 2000 rpms, only if the boat was in gear. Hunter sent me a new prop and it made no difference. I've had this 306 just one year and bought it new, The dealer wanted to make sure we fixed it under the first year warranty, so we set up an appointment with a yanmar dealer, but he never came out because the whine just quit. I have put about 30 hrs on the motor since, with no whine.

Jun 2, 2004
- - Sausalito
Jim, with the whine that went away...

Thanks for the feedback, Jim!! I will copy this for my husband to read, and hope that it will make him feel better. I think that's very interesting. Hopefully, if the prop doesn't fix it, it will go away very soon on it's own. The Yanmar guy on this coast made a comment at the very beginning that he's never had to fix "the Hunter whine". Maybe there is hope.

Jun 6, 2004
Hunter 33 Oakville
Toronto dealer

Hey Roymac – The 33 is a great boat…ours with lots of upgrades should be finished the commissioning stage this week, and we will be on the water. The Toronto dealer has a very professional team who are very knowledgeable and want to make sure they get everything right...the first time…this is a process that can sometimes cause delays. We purchased our boat over the winter for a late spring launch…well being in Canada so did everyone else, which caused delays. On the bright side, I believe it’s not just the Hunter dealer who is experiencing delays, it seems as if all brands are having trouble getting their boats commissioned at this time of year. I am happy however that no matter how much time it takes the dealer doesn’t seem to be cutting corners, they would rather delay and get it right than just get the boat launched. As for discounts, the dealer wants to sell boats…so make an offer and see what happens…you won’t be disappointed if you choose the Hunter. See you on the water! Darryl DAKETA

Dec 3, 2003
None None Rochester, NY
More on the Toronto Dealer

They are a great bunch of guys to have working for you. I bought a used H33.5 last summer and rate them 5 star (out of 5);D Ken Palmer, S/V Water Colors Rochester, NY

norbtx

Jun 27, 2004
- - Houston, Texas - USA
Genset

Hi, am seriously thinking about this boat. My dealer has one they just recieved. Not yet commisioned. It'll be my first boat, was considering a power boat, but with gas prices the way they are, decided to go with a sail boat (always wanted one anyway), my question is, does anyone have a genset in their 33? I know you can't order one from the factory. My dealer says he might be able to put one in but we checked out the space next to the steering wheel and it doesn't look like it'll fit. Would be nice to have the A/C on while under sail, I'm in Texas after all. Thanks!

Jun 10, 2004
- - Fairlee Creek MD
The Whine

My boat is approaching 30 hours. I hope my whine is gone as had happened with response by the owner of the Hunter 306. PS I noted that it does not happen unless in gear at 12-1800 rpm, however when sailing in a strong wind the prop began to spin in neutral and the whine began even though the engine was not running. Therefore the whine must be in the shaft and boxing - not in engine or transmission. Hope hunter figures out, it distracts from an otherwise beautifully designed boat.

KathyC

May 11, 2004
- - Lake Superior, Wi.
Lov'in It!!

We've had our 33 in the water about a month now and are lov'in it! Sails great and surprisingly fast. We usually catch up and pass other boats our size (or bigger) and sailing has been a breeze. Last weekend we had sustained winds of 15-20 with gusts to 40 and it handled great. Our list of problems for the dealer was mostly forgotten items like the stereo, electric windlass and bimini. Still waiting on bimini but should be here shortly. We got the Seatalk system with color radar screen, auto pilot, etc, etc and it's been fun learning all of it. It hasn't warmed up very much here on Superior and were were sailing in our winter coats on Saturday! A lot of people in the warmer climates snicker when we mention sailing in Wisconsin but the Apostle Islands are wonderful to explore. There are numerous light houses and all of the islands have hiking trails, camping facilities and hiking trails, not to mention deer, black bears and other such critters. The marinas here have a great charter fleet of various size Hunters so if any of you feel the need for a change next vacation, come sail Lake Superior! Happy Sails to You, Kathy & Jay :)

Jun 2, 2004
- - Sausalito
Pat - Is this the Pat from MD?

Pat: I'm hoping you are the Pat from Maryland who originally posted about the whine. If so, your dealer was going to fix that problem. Can you tell me what they did, what they've said to you about it? Can we talk? I will be glad to give you my email.

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 33 Santa Barbara
Adding Batteries to existing group 24

I will be taking delivery of my new 33 pretty soon, which includes a windless and refrigeration, and see the need to add a 'house bank' to the existing group 24 battery that apparently comes standard. It appears that a couple of 6 volt batteries (golf cart) will fit fine. Any suggestions? Thanks

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 41ac Topping, VA
House Batteries

Michael- We have had our 33 for about a month and finally took her for a weekend away from the dock. At anchor Saturday night we used the microwave off the inverter, ran two 12v fans all night, anchor light 9pm-8am, watched a DVD movie for 2hrs, ran various cabin lights for a couple of hours, used the windlass to raise the anchor, and had a lot of electronics running for 5 hours Saturday and 5 hours Sunday. We did run the diesel 1 hour Saturday and 3 hours Sunday (no wind). After all that we still had 1/3 charge on the house battery bank - a pair of group 27 deep cycle. Not bad, but didn't stay at the dock Sunday long enough to recharge batteries. I don't leave her plugged-in during the week, so we will have to charge next Friday night to Saturday morning before leaving again. This is not the best solution. I am looking into solar chargers to top-off batteries while we are away. Your idea of 2 6V golf cart batteries is a popular one and may be better than my 2 group 27s once you check amp-hour ratings. Happy sailing, Barry Bear Necessity H33 #128

norbtx

Jun 27, 2004
- - Houston, Texas - USA

So no one has a gen set for the 33? My dealer is still commisioning the 33 they just got, but they also have a 36 that just came in. Should I just go for the 36 that has a gen set? I know the 33 is a new model and the 36 about 4 years old? Would love the brand new 38 but won't be delivered till the fall thus missing out on a summer of sailing. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.