New Hunter 33's

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gregg

Patches

Finally got to sail the boat yesterday on its first shakedown - it does indeed have the patches. The main did not want to come out of the mast - something's causing it to bind, and I could see some sail still rolled inside that just wouldn't unfurl. Also noticed the sail rolls in to the right of the furler. Haven't checked the Selden manual yet, but I thought I remembered the sail on my 290 rolling to the left. Pretty big punch list for the dealer to work through. Hope delivery isn't too far away.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 33 Pepin Ws.
Canvas package

I have had my new 33 since the week before Memorial Day and I am still waiting for the Bimini. The dealer tells me that the factory is backed up on making/sending out Bimini's. Has anyone else found this to be a problem?

G

Gregg

Bimini

Mine showed up with the bimini. Ordered the boat Jan. 7, it arrived May 9 if that helps. Call the factory and ask them. If it will be a while, maybe there is a local canvas shop that can do the work, and have the dealer pay them direct since you paid for the bimini already.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Canvas work in late-Spring early summer

Pretty much every canvas shop is backed up this time of year. Chances are the local shops (the good ones, anyway) will be even more so. I'll bet the average time frame for canvas right now is running _at least_ 6-8 weeks in any major seaport.

G

Gregg

RC435i

How well did the internal antenna work down below? I found that my hand held received a signal at the nav station. Would like to mount a Garmin 182c (internal antenna) at the wheel, under bimini/dodger. As for mounting, check around for mounts that allow you to clamp what looks like a flat bar to one side of the pedestal guard. I think Edson makes one. This way, you can have it between the bars, and remove it easily for storage.

C

Captn Dare

extended guard

Hunter has the option for an extended pedestal guard just for this reason. Check the archives for photos of this installation. You may want to cut about 3" off the bottom of this guard such that it's not too high and obstructs your visibility forward yet allows the large nav pod to clear the view of the Depth and speed. Don't worry about the joint in the tubing, it's plenty strong and besides it's just a hand hold anyway. You're not supposed to clip a harness onto it or anything like that. Good luck, you should really love the way the boat sails.

AndyK

Mar 10, 2004
Hunter 33 Salem, MA
Re: Bimini

My boat (not delivered yet) has been at the dealers for 2-3 weeks now. They just discovered yesterday that Bimini was missing as well. To top it off the arch was dragged through the lot and the channel that the bimini slides into was crushed and ground up pretty severly. This channel is an integral part of the arch. The salesman promissed it would be corrected. It looks like a pretty big job to me. I hope I am not waiting a long time for this to be corrected. Please let us know when your Bimini arrives.

G

Gregg

Vent in head

Does anyone have a fan built into that plastic vent that goes through the cabin top? Looks like it's made to have one (solar?) built in, but all I have is the sliding plastic sleeve.

Jun 6, 2004
Hunter 33 Oakville
Vent

We have yet to take final delivery of our new 33, which is still in the final stages of commissioning, but on Sunday while spending time on my boat I noticed the same thing with the vent and made a note to bring it up with my dealer. If I hear any comments from him I will let you know.

Jun 6, 2004
Hunter 33 Oakville
Folding wheel

I purchased my 33 with the new Lewmar folding wheel. My dealer can't seem to install the ST4000 autopilot on the wheel. Has anybody else had a similar experience or better yet installed one and can give us advise on how to do it. It would be a great help as I really love the wheel and don't want to have to give it up.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 41ac Topping, VA
Wheel and Vent

Sorry I haven't posted in a while. Our 33 is in the final commissioning phase (sea trial and punch list). Let me offer my experience with both topics: Vent - Noticed the lack of "positive ventilation" when we ordered ours, so we added a chrome day/night solar vent in place of the regular mushroom. Better air flow, but you can't turn it off - it makes a little noise 24/7. Folding wheel - This was going to be a commissioning surprise for my better half, but we wanted the 36" version. After speaking with the Hunter factory rep, we decided that this would be a safety issue - in the open state you can't open the port cockpit locker or use the "escape hatch" from the aft cabin were there to be an emergency. We were told Lewmar and Raymarine have figured-out how to mount the ST4000 on the 32" wheel. We just lost interest and are putting a leather wrap on the standard wheel for now. On the lighter side - we have used her 2 weekends and we are very happy overall. Between Saturday nights making Jiffy-Pop and watching a DVD on the flat screen and days of sailing we remember why we bought her. We plan to move her to our regular marina/slip by July 4th weekend. Barry Bear Necessity #128

AndyK

Mar 10, 2004
Hunter 33 Salem, MA
Vent

Hi Barry, Would you mind posting the model/part # of the vent you bought? On my new 33 it is a nice plastic cap they put there but there is not much ventilation.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 41ac Topping, VA
Vent 2

Andy: I can't give you a part number because the vent was purchased and installed by my dealer as part of the purchase price. I can tell you it is a Nicro chrome day/night solar vent. These can be purchased from WM or any other supply house. To be on the safe side, measure the thru-deck hole. I believe it is 3", but I am not sure. HTH, Barry Bear Necessity #128

Jun 6, 2004
Hunter 33 Oakville
Got the pilot on the wheel

Just thought I'd mention that we got the autopilot on the folding wheel...and it works & looks great!

Jun 2, 2004
- - Sausalito
Whine in new Hunter 33

Hey, guys. Question for all of you who have a Hunter 33...*cry Are any of you experiencing a "whine" in the drive train at 1200-1800 RPM, or any RPM? We have had ours since March, the dealer's warranty manager has been working with Hunter and Yanmar to try to fix it [new stuffing box, sanded propeller, and, I think, a new shaft], and it's still happening. There was a Pat who received his prior to us, and he noted the same thing, said his dealer was fixing it, but have not been able to get in touch with him. Help!!!

G

Gregg

Drive line whine

Did my pre-delivery walk-through today. Was told that a whine at around 2000 RPM would indicate a stuffing box that was cranked down too tight. Don't know this for a fact, but will keep it in mind when I get going. My thinking is, if it's doing it at 2000, why not 2500, 3000, etc?

roymac

Jun 20, 2004
Hanse 458 toronto
toronto dealer?

hey darryl in oakville! a very interested in the 33, but an also considering others. any + or - feedback on the toronto dealer? any insight into the discount available from their sailway price? thank you

Jun 2, 2004
- - Sausalito
Gregg, about that stuffing box...

A "tight" stuffing box was suggested when we took delivery of ours, too, after we were told the whine had been fixed, only to find the whine was still there. We've now had our stuffing box adjusted - to make sure it wasn't too tight - at which point we had way too much water in the bilge and it still had the whine, then tightened, then replaced, and the whine continues. Please keep us informed, and we'll keep you informed. At this moment, my dealer is talking to Hunter and suggesting a new propeller. We'll see. Three more Hunter 33s have now gone through commissioning that did not have the whine. I'd sure like to know what the difference is.

AndyK

Mar 10, 2004
Hunter 33 Salem, MA
Whine

My new hunter (of one week) does not have the whine, though I did get the 29 HP upgrade. Originally it was a 27 HP upgrade but Hunter changed it to the 29. I wonder if the change was to avoid the whine? That would imply the whine might be in the engine or transmission and not the shaft, stuffing box, or prop.

AndyK

Mar 10, 2004
Hunter 33 Salem, MA
More whine

of course sometimes the whine is coming from behind the wheel...;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.