New Hunter 33's

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John

Comissioning time

My 33 arrived around 4/20. I expect to take delivery sometime next week. (After Memorial Day). You'll be lucky to have it by the 4th of July.

J

Jeff

H33 Delivery

I took delivery on Saturday May 22 very foggy and no wind. Sunday wasn't any better, I hope to give the boat a workout Thursday night. It sure is a pretty boat.

J

Jack

Life Lines and Turning Blocks

Gregg My 33 and the one sitting next to me both have a thick life line on top and a thin life line on the bottom.They both have Lewmar 10mm turning blocks. I looked at my pictures of other 33's and they all have two sizes of life lines.

E

Elaine

Andy - A commissioning time comparison

Andy, our 33 arrived in CA about the 2nd week of February this year. Had a couple of late winter storms here on the Pacific coast, which delayed bottom painting. We didn't have the dealer add anything. We took delivery on April 10.

A

Andy

Comparision Times

I tell you, I am real disappointed in delivery from Hunter. My boat was supposed to be in the yard at the dealer by May 1st. It finally made it three weeks later. I was told that it sat in the yard in FLA while they waited to find a driver!!! Can you believe that? Like they didn't know when boats should be coming off of the lines and where they were going to truthfully schedule deliveries...Rant over. My dealer stands by their June 6th delivery date though I think it is going to take a miracle to pull it off now. I'll let everybody know how they do in quality and timeliness of the delivery.

Feb 26, 2004
Hunter 356 Alameda
Drivers

Andy, With two new boats under our belt, I am pretty sure this has little to do with finding a driver. We have come to the conclusion that it has more to do with finding a driver who has arranged a return load. With current gas prices, that can only get more important for them. Dan Jonas (S/V Feije II)

G

Gregg

Andy -

My 33 was supposed to leave the factory 4/29. Many days later and no boat, I made some phone calls. The factory says it left on 4/30, but sat for 10 DAYS in the shipper's lot, also allegedly because of no drivers. It went back to the factory the morning of 5/10 so they could ship another boat on the same trailer, because "it costs the same to ship 2 boats as it does 1 boat". Really? - so does that savings get passed on to me, I asked? Ha ha.... On the upside, after a few days' delay at the dealer because of new boat prep backlog, it's almost ready to go.

B

Bob

trucking and comissioning

On a boat the size of a 33 I'd figure two weeks would be about the minimum time to put the boat together. That's assuming good weather and few if any dealer installed options. Larger boats with more complex systems such as air, genset, refrigeration... can take a fair bit longer. Although dealer installed options certainly allow a fair degree of customization not available through the factory keep in mind that they do add to the comissioning time. In particular, some of the newer integrated electronic packages and below deck autopilots can be big jobs to install even if the dealer has all the parts on hand so plan ahead. As far as shipping goes it's usually up to the dealer to arrange trucking. If the boat is late leaving the line blame Hunter otherwise, if you have any major delays I'd point the finger at the trucking company or the dealer that chose them.

A

Andy

Truckin'

Funny, I would have thought Hunter would be responsible for delivering the boat, not the dealer. If I had known that a month ago I would have raised holy hell with the dealer. Live and learn. Next time I am going to pick a date much earlier so when things go wrong and the delivery is late I'll be right on time... I really hope it gets delivered from the dealer's yard on time. I'm to the point where I am chasing parts for them to make sure it all happens as close to on time as possible. When I met with them over the weekend they still said it would be delivered on time. We'll see...

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
trucking 33's

Andy, in this case it's Hunter's shipper-they contract to have the boat delivered, and the dealer has little say in it's actual departure from the yard or it's arrival-the truckers may be delayed because the large loads can only transit some roads at off hours, so weather and traffic delays can cost days if they miss a transit window.

K

Kathy

delivery & commissioning

Our 33 was a week late getting here and the delivery was scheduled by Hunter, not the dealer. We figure we'll have this boat for quite some time so I don't see getting upset over a delivery schedule. Many things beyond control can cause delays. As for commissioning, our dealer and his staff are wonderful about getting the boats ready as quickly as possible. We ordered almost all of the electronic options including radar, complete nav system, 2 screens etc, etc and he's expecting to have it in the water by 6/4. That would mean about a week and a half for commissioning. Not bad considering all the electronics. By the way, the tv/dvd is cool. The dvd is built into the back of the tv and altogether is only about 3 inches thick! Comes with a stand but we're going to wall mount it to hide the wiring. Happy sails to You!;D Kathy

B

Bill

Survey

Anyone had their boats surveyed before delivery? Might be a good idea. Friend of mine bought a 356, had it surveyed before delivery and found several voids in the deck. Hunter agreed to repair them but he turned down the deal because of it.

G

Gregg

Those with the Doyle sails -

Do you have spreader patches on the main?

Apr 26, 2004
Hunter 33 Rock Hall, MD
Spreader Patches

Gregg, Yes. I opted for the standard rig, not the furling main. The patches on my Doyle mainsail line up with the spreaders only when the main is fully raised. When the main is reefed, there are no patches to protect the sail when it lies against the spreaders.

J

Jeff

Standard Rig

John, I also have a STD rig, do you have a 2 or 3 leg Lazyjack system?

Apr 26, 2004
Hunter 33 Rock Hall, MD
Lazyjacks

Jeff, I have the two leg system. In hindsight, I wish I had gotten the three leg system and will probably switch to it in the near future, perhaps in this off season. I'd also like to find another way to have the sail cover rigged. I find it difficult to close up and, after it's closed, it looks mishapen.

B

Bieswax

Lazyjacks

The manual calls for 3 legs, with the lines going through the cover which would give the cover support. My dealer is working on a fix, not sure what the answer is yet. I do agree with your comments, right now mine is rigged with 2 legs outside the cover.

JohnEh

Jun 7, 2004
Hunter 36 Baton Rouge
RC435i

My 33 is in Gulport MS. Most of the commissioning is complete. I wanted a GPS chartplotter and had to wait for the new raymarine 435i(internal antenna). I attached a 12v connector and used it in the cabin at the navigation station. I now need to connect it to the pedistal. If the bracket mounts flush at the top, then the GPS hangs over the other knot and depth meters. Anyone have any suggestions for mounting the 435i?

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
spreader patches

we've got spreader patches on our swingbatten main, and they line up so the sail is protected as you furl

AndyK

Mar 10, 2004
Hunter 33 Salem, MA
Re: RC435i

I have the same problem trying to mount a raymarine C80 display. The design engineers at Hunter certainly were out to lunch that day. Absolutely no forethough was put into that design. As I see it there are four choices: 1) Install it and it will obstruct the existing instruments, 2) Have no display in the cockpit, 3) cut the binacle and either extend it or add an offset bent portion (safety issue as the joint flexes), or 4) replace the entire binacle with a new custom design (see post #35 earlier in this thread). Of these choices number one is the one my dealer has choosen. I get my boat later this week but the salesman has already emailed and called me warning me that the existing instruments are obstructed. I **really** wish hunter would come up with an honest answer as to what they are planing for everybody but thus far nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.