New Honda 9.9 Questions

Jan 25, 2017
Macgregor V222 Kentucky Lake
I recently purchased a gently used Honda 9.9 Power Stroke / Four Stroke (looks to be about ten years old but very clean) to push my V222. I purchased it from a friend (actually it was the motor on the boat originally). The boat was free with a $1200 motor lol. That being said, we saved our pennies and purchased the motor this week. It cranks fine, seems to be in great shape. Other than cleaning the carb and maybe changing the plugs what will need to be done to it before splashing? What about the oil in the lower unit? Does that need changed / checked? Since we can't afford another motor we need to make certain we don't screw this one up. Any suggestions or comments are welcome.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
What about the oil in the lower unit? Does that need changed / checked?
At least check it for level and possible water contamination. If it's milky, drain it and look at the seals.
I'll bet there's a service manual out there somewhere. ;)

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
If it has good cooling water stream flow, the water pump impeller is probably OK but you might put that on the list for things to change since you dont know when it was done last.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
Last edited:

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
Ay to upper and lower oil change. Also lube cables and shifting mechanism. Check pull cord. Have spare shear pins and cotter pins. Ay also to impeller change

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Check with your friend when the last maintenance work was performed and pick it up from there. No sense in prematurely replacing good oil or messing with adjustments that were recently performed. Every time you touch the engine there is a chance that something might get broken or fouled.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
About the pee indicator. That is not always an indication that there is an issue with the impeller. The cooling channels might be clogged. It depends on the amount of after use flush. If the motor was hardly flushed after use then there might be build up of salt/calcium. That build up will kill your outboard.

Even before using it, I would recommend flushing the motor with fresh water. Let it run for awhile. You can add Salt Away to the flush water. Hopefully there isn't too much build up within the cooling channels.

You can also test the thermostat by removing it and putting it in boiling water. If the thermostat is working, it will open when placed in boiling water.

May 16, 2011
Macgregor V-25 Charlton, MA- Trailer
I agree with Sumner. Change oils and impeller. I do a white vinegar flush at the end of the season. I trailer everywhere and all salt water. A couple gallons in a test barrel and let it run till the water in tn the barrel gets hot. You will be surprised at what comes out. When I got my boat the motor looked new but someone had replace the water pump and pushed the bushing on the water tube up into the head. It stared over heating. Of course that was at Martha's Vineyard and many miles and two bays to cross to get to Fairhaven. That ended up being a total tear down.
I also replaced my thermostat last year. I put a heat gun on it and the temp was all over the place. Now steady.
Enjoy!! I'm dying to get out.

Sep 30, 2016
Island Packet IP 44 Ventura, CA
Changing the oil is pretty straight forward. The lower unit oil is pretty easy, but messy. And you pretty much need a large syringe to refill the lower unit. The impeller is pretty involved, and I havnt done it yet on my fairly new Honda 8. But you will have to drop the lower unit (the part down by the cavitation plate). I would recommend downloading some pages from a manual for that, because as a recall there was a shift rod or something that has an adjustment that should not be changed. Directions had you count the exposed threads or something.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I would take it to an authorized service location and have them service it. Also, forgive me, but it's a bit fool hardy in my opinion to buy a 10-yr-old outboard engine that is barely affordable on purchase. There are bound to be some "issues" that should or must be addressed which cost additional $$. Good luck!

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2017
Macgregor V222 Kentucky Lake
Thanks guys, I put some fresh gas in the tank, checked the oil and hooked it to a fresh battery. Primed the bulb and she started right up no hesitation on the second crack. Of course it's a Honda. I appreciate everyone's input... even John Tubb lol. This isn't my first motor, and far from my first boat. I was just looking for some friendly advice on maintenance for a used four stroke. I do a fair bit of river sailing, and the Gulf of Mexico, close coastal... So I fight currents and tides occasionally or have in the past in other boats. The 9.9 was a conscious choice, though I respect everyone's opinion. The extra weight is hardly a consideration when your fighting an outgoing tide or a river current or both. Just my opinion. Thanks guys and fair winds.

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
...Since we can't afford another motor we need to make certain we don't screw this one up. Any suggestions or comments are welcome.
In addition to all the good advice that has been given...
You might want to tie a safety rope onto it, in case the silly little pinch clamps slip.