New head sail for Catalina 28

May 7, 2006
Catalina 28 Mark 1 New Bern
I am in the process of purchasing a new 1993 Catalina 28 tr. The current head sail is shot and needs to be replaced. I am debating between a roller furling 135 and a 150. My sailing area is rhe Neuse river and coastal Nc
Wind speed on the Neuse can be light
I am looling for other Catalina 28 sailors for some impute . Also any recommendations on sail makers is appreciated.
Thanks Peterbud

DruR

Jan 31, 2016
Catalina 28 MKII Smithville Lake MO
Call a couple sailmakers and get their thoughts (Perry Lewis at North Sails - Chicago Loft is a great guy). I have a 1997 TR and have not put it in the water yet,,as tempted as I am to get a new head sail..I'm putting it off until I see how it sails with the 150 I have. From many years of racing a S2 27 (masthead)and S2 7.9 (fractional),,,,the 135 was always "slow" compared to a 155...but again the 135 (rarely used) was cut very flat (S2-27). We actually carried a light 155 and a heavy 155.
Back to your issue...If I didn't care about light air speed (too much), I would err to the safe side and purchase a 135%,,,
Also you have to keep in mind your ability to tension the halyard with a furler and your ability to keep the forestay straight in heavier air (backstay tension).
I bet I end up with both and change them out when it gets windy! Plus will add a backstay adjuster,,,nothing is as fast in moderate air as a saggy headstay.....(that sounds a little weird.. :)
Best of Luck,,,,,
dr