New first 305

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Appears to be a nice boat. Would spend a few hours on it and go everything carefully. Also review maintenance log for systems upgrades & repairs thru the years. There is no indication that the engine was replaced or rebuilt; suspicious that a 33 year old boat would only have 200 hours. IF you decide to make an offer, be sure to site in the purchase offer that the offer is contingent on satisfactory survey and sea trial, engine inspection by a mechanic, and rigging inspection by a rigger. For a 1985 boat, I would pay for all three inspections to know what I was buying. I would also pay to check out the online insurance history; were any insurance proceeds paid out for substantial damage to the boat? The price appears attractive; however, you want to ensure that you are not going to incur lots of additional costs above and beyond what you will spend to make it yours. Please keep us apprised of your decision. Good luck, hope it works out.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2016
Beneteau First 305 Seward, Alaska
Thanks I have a survey from 2 years ago. I also have receipts for lots of work done to boat but none for the engine. The survey states a Volvo-penta model 2002. I tried all these numbers on volvo’s website but nothing works. Does this mean it was repowered? Going back Monday to spend a couple hours looking under the hood. I have lots of questions and am trying to go armed with as much info as possible. Thanks for the help. And yes I will be asking about the engine hours.

I plan on getting the three inspections unless they are cost prohibitive. I’ll know more when everything opens on Monday.

Juice

Attachments

Apr 7, 2016
Ha @FDL S2 that’s what I thought. That guy really did put in a lot of work into the boat. But now he is moving. Sooo, yeah me? We will see... I’m going there tomorrow to spend a few hours digging through it.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Apr 7, 2016
It looks like this boat has a baby stay. Short of the, “yes use it because it was designed to be used,” is it required and under which circumstances is it not required. I’ve never had or even been on a boat with one.

Jan 8, 2015
MacGregor 26S, Goman Express 30 Kerr Reservoir
My 1983 Goman Express 30 came with a baby stay. The original owner showed it to me coiled up under the V berth when I bought the boat. I don't believe it has ever been uncoiled for the life of the boat.

Apr 7, 2016
That seems to be the general theme on forums. We are casual sailors and if it is gusty we play another game of skipbo.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
It looks like this boat has a baby stay. Short of the, “yes use it because it was designed to be used,” is it required and under which circumstances is it not required. I’ve never had or even been on a boat with one.
Babystays were incredibly common on masthead performance oriented boats in the 70s, 80s and early 90s. It helps add bend to the mast that flattens the mainsail, depowering it. Almost every C&C made had one.

Apr 7, 2016
I don’t know what they’re called and the interwebs were of no help so I’ll do my best... I understand the concept but without knowing the name, it is hard to learn more about it. On each side of the mast there is ss rigging with a 4:1 block system leading back to the mast. What is that called? And sorry there are no pictures.

Jun 2, 2007
Beneteau First 375 Slidell, LA
Sounds like running backstays. My boat, which is sort of a big sister to the 305 and produced about the same time, has them as well. The baby stay on my boat is also rigged with a purchase, and I would think the 305 would be rigged the same way.
On my boat, the baby stay is intended to bow the mast forward to flatten the main as Jackdaw says, and the running backstays are used to reduce mast pumping when beating into waves. They are all removable (detachable) at the deck, and I don't really use them that often. In particular, the baby stay is a real pain when tacking (or jibing the spinnaker pole). The runners come in handy from time to time, especially offshore.

Apr 7, 2016
No it has a back stay too. I know what that is. These connect mid way up the mast and run back to the cockpit using a 4:1 system. I’ve seen them before but can’t remember what they are called. They must almost exclusively used on racing boats because I’ve never seen them on a cruiser. I think these are used to bend the mast windward while on a broad or beam reach or something.

Apr 7, 2016
Isn’t a running back stay go from the masthead to the back? These connect maybe 2/3 up the mast between first and second spreaders.

Jun 2, 2007
Beneteau First 375 Slidell, LA
Running backstays don't necessarily attach to the masthead. You might be thinking about checkstays - they are normally intended to limit mast bend caused by baby stay or backstay tension. and often attach to more than one location on the mast. I think in the end, the name you use sort of depends on what you are trying to accomplish. Most people use the term "runner" as kind of a catch-all.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
They are checkstays. Lots of Jean Berret designed masthead boats came with them from the factory, like the First 38 of the same vintage as shown below. Someone probably added them. They do help stabilize the mast.

first_38_drawing.jpg