New Dink-Air or Alum floor for Davit storage?

May 10, 2008
Catalina 355 Boston
Hi All,
Looking for some input--we are in need of a new dink and are leaning heavily toward an air floor as our number one priority is ease of off season storage. It's just two of us and no pets. Looking at the new air floors, it appears they have come a long way, however a friend mentioned that it may not be rigid enough to store on davits.
Anyone with direct experience storing the dink on davits with an air floor would be greatly appreciated!

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
I'd go aluminum, a soft air floor dinghy hanging between Davits would look pretty sad. Also, air floor dinghies have a lot of space under the floor that can accumulate water, and that adds weight. If that water is allowed to sit there will be a biosphere of growth. You will need one that has a removable drain plug in the bottom of the transom, or add it.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
We have a Achilles 9'6" dinghy with an inflatable floor on our davits. Never had a problem. I do need to pump the floor occasionally because it has a very slow valve leak that I have failed to solve. Even if the floor is a bit soft, the dink is fine due to the rigidity of the side tubes. I think all dinghy's have a transom drain and it is imperative to open this when not in use so that rain water doesn't fill and damage the dink. The dinghy must be hung so water will drain out. I never had any excessive growth under the floor- just some scum and sand collects. The air floor eliminates a lot of weight for easier handling for sure. The only down-side with the inflatable floor is that it gives under foot when you step into it and you need to be careful that you don't lose your balance. OTOH, if you have to kneel in the dinghy it is very easy on your knees.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
RIB. They are suspended by the rigid bottom. Check out the folding transom RIBs offered by Achilles and Zodiac (a variant is sold by West Marine). I have had both (CRM and PVC). They fold into a bag and weight about 90 lbs - easily handled by two. Load it to my truck racks and bring it home every year.

May 10, 2008
Catalina 355 Boston
Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately the RIB just isn't an option because we have no room to store as we live in a Condo that already looks like a chandlery in the offseason :)
Rich, thanks for the feedback. I know older inflatable floors had quite a bit of give, but looking at the newer ones, they look quite rigid. Zodiac had a cross cut of how they are constructed and we 'walked' on one at the boat show last week--my biggest concern is getting the outboard on and off??

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
--my biggest concern is getting the outboard on and off??
We put the outboard - a 3.5hp Nissan 2 cycle - on in the Spring and take it off in the Fall. My Achilles dinghy and the outboard weight just under 100# total. The outboard is just 33#.

May 10, 2008
Catalina 355 Boston
We put the outboard - a 3.5hp Nissan 2 cycle - on in the Spring and take it off in the Fall. My Achilles dinghy and the outboard weight just under 100# total. The outboard is just 33#.
Thanks Rich,
A 2 cycle would be ideal for us as well :)

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I've never been a fan of RIBS. I've always had inflatables that deflate, kinda the point of an inflatable, IMO. We have the Zodiac Mark 1 Classic w/alloy floors and keep it on davits most of the time. With either the alloy or wood floors you have a larger flat area inside to carry stuff and people and both are lighter than the equivalent RIB of glass.
However, you must have lifting rings installed on the pontoons, not try to put eyes on the floor to lift it.
barrel of goodies.jpg

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Hi All,
Looking for some input--we are in need of a new dink and are leaning heavily toward an air floor as our number one priority is ease of off season storage. It's just two of us and no pets. Looking at the new air floors, it appears they have come a long way, however a friend mentioned that it may not be rigid enough to store on davits.
Anyone with direct experience storing the dink on davits with an air floor would be greatly appreciated!
You do not mention how you will be using it; over long distances or short--lumpy waters or protected harbors/inlets, etc. Nevertheless, there's no really good solution for sail boats in our size range, IMHO, even if you load up the boat up w/ lifting devices. Nearly 30 yr of coastal cruising (where the boat is in its slip most of the time) brings me to the conclusion that an 8.6 ft hypalon inflatable with an air floor is the best all 'round choice for that type of use. It's easily large enough for two, it's (barely) light enough for me alone to muscle up from the water, to drag around the deck, or to remove from the boat; it's stowable below in the cockpit locker (or in the trunk of the car) so I do not have to tow it if I wish not to, or to always carry it lashed on deck, or install lifting davits ($$), or otherwise leave it out in sun most of the time; it's not terribly expensive (many pre-owned ones around); it does not require a large engine to plane with one person aboard; and I can row it easily with just the admiral and me aboard. Consider that a recommendation. Conversely, the major downsides are that it sometimes flexes too much in lumpy water, it's not that easy to board from above (i.e., from the boat) due to the unstable, "squishy", air floor; it's not generally fast [i.e., needs a large (heavy), 6 to 9 hp, engine to plane w/ two people aboard], and when lugging along off plane in even minimal chop, it's wet up front.:wahwah:

P.S. It's really a poor use of always-limiting boating funds, IMHO, to install a davit system to lift a dinghy out of the water a few weekends a year, if even that often. Unless you're distance cruising where you feel you need to pull the dink from the water daily for dozens of days on end over periods of several months to a few years cruising, I would not recommend installing one. Use the money to up-grade your safety gear such as to install jacklines, equip lifejackets w/ proper signalling devices, stock spare parts, and so forth. If not that, then up-grade your ground tackle, and forth.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
P.S. It's really a poor use of always-limiting boating funds, IMHO, to install a davit system to lift a dinghy out of the water a few weekends a year, if even that often.
Yes a davit system is going to be $1200-1500. We used to carry the dink on the fore deck on different boats for 20+ years. Finally I came to the conclusion that davits had many advantages. For your amusement I list-
Pros:
Don't need two people to lift the dinghy up and over the lifelines.
Don't need to lash the dinghy to the fore deck which in my case created tripping hazards.
The front hatch can be opened anytime without un-tieing and moving the dinghy.
No chance of having the jib sheets getting caught on the dinghy.
Visual obstruction of the dinghy looking forward is gone.
No need to remove the outboard and struggle to get it in a locker.
Less risk of dropping the outboard when attaching/detaching.
Dinghy can be launched and retrieved by one person within 5 minutes.
Cons:
$$
Access to the stern is near impossible until the dinghy is launched.
Need to be aware of the dinghy position when docking.

As Stu likes to say, "Your boat, your choice". YMMV.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Yes a davit system is going to be $1200-1500. We used to carry the dink on the fore deck on different boats for 20+ years. Finally I came to the conclusion that davits had many advantages. For your amusement I list
Pros:
Don't need two people to lift the dinghy up and over the lifelines. Get one light enough for one person to lift.
Don't need to lash the dinghy to the fore deck which in my case created tripping hazards. Deflate and stow it--(air floor).
The front hatch can be opened anytime without un-tieing and moving the dinghy. Deflate and stow it--(air floor) or put it in the water if at anchor.
No chance of having the jib sheets getting caught on the dinghy. Deflate and stow it--(air floor); or tow short distance.
Visual obstruction of the dinghy looking forward is gone. Deflate and stow it--(air floor); or tow short distance.
No need to remove the outboard and struggle to get it in a locker. Put on rail; get small outboard.
Less risk of dropping the outboard when attaching/detaching. Use small outboard, not heavy; attach tag line to rail
Dinghy can be launched and retrieved by one person within 5 minutes. Leave in water at site after inflated & deployed.

So, I don't see 'em relative to cost! The cons, remain, however.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Oh, yeah, one more thing. Stern davits on a fairly small yacht (< 40-42 ft LOA) with a comparatively large dinghy & outboard hanging on it, IMHO, are not pretty, and may adversely affect the trim of the boat.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
We do not sail in heavy weather or offshore with the inflatable on the davits or towed. However the dink comes up every single night on the davits to prevent theft and keep the bottom clean. In seven years of daily use we never had to even wash the bottom.
We also do not take the motor off the dink whether we bring it aboard on the foredeck or the davits. In fact the motor is bolted to the dink transom. Offshore, interisland or on an especially nasty day our Zodiac is stowed on the foredeck right side up with the motor on. It would take only a few seconds to cut the lines securing it and leave it to float off the sinking boat. With a 2.5 gallon tank of fuel it will run at least 30 miles at speed (25 knots) and considerably farther going slower. That's plenty of range to get us safely to an island, should the worst happen interisland in the Caribbean, on our own with no need to trouble anyone, calling for help. Offshore, it's also plenty of range and speed to get us to a passing ship that doesn't see us a mile or four away. A PROACTIVE lifeboat really appeals to me.
Getting it on the foredeck (or alongside as some do at night) takes a lot less work and time than deflating it or hoisting it on the davits, IF one uses their windlass to hoist it aboard. Granted, we can not open the forward hatch with the dink up there, but I doubt we'd do that anyway offshore or in heavy weather.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Having a dinghy big enough, and powerful enough to push, or pull your boat adds a significant element of safety and self rescue. Having it swinging in davits ready to go, to set a kedge, make a run to the shore, just makes the whole process a lot easier.

May 10, 2008
Catalina 355 Boston
Thanks all for the feedback. We have considered all of the excellent points made, and given our needs we will be using davits. As to our use--we spend several weeks at a time cruising the New England coast. We alternate between South and North. When we head to Maine, we find more need to have a dink, although whenever possible we use a launch service when available.
We have learned in the 30 years of sailing that deflating/inflating becomes a deterrent from using the dink. Our use is short hops to shore with 2 aboard and at most shuttling groceries and/or a jerry can of diesel when a launch isn't available.
The one comment that caught me is a wet ride even in slight chop with an inflatable floor--that would be a major deterrent for us.
As with anything, we'll just have to weigh the pros and cons and make the best choice for us....Thanks all

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
The one comment that caught me is a wet ride even in slight chop with an inflatable floor--that would be a major deterrent for us.
If the floor isn't pumped up to spec, it will flex more than normal and in chop it certainly can be wet. Having had both a wood floor and a couple inflatable floors, I think they can both be wet. A friend has a RIB and admittedly it is a foot longer and it is drier. Not necessarily perfectly dry but better. Slowing down seems to work best for us. And maybe carrying a towel!

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
If the floor isn't pumped up to spec, it will flex more than normal and in chop it certainly can be wet. Having had both a wood floor and a couple inflatable floors, I think they can both be wet. A friend has a RIB and admittedly it is a foot longer and it is drier. Not necessarily perfectly dry but better. Slowing down seems to work best for us. And maybe carrying a towel!
The ride in my account is wet, ultimately, because the 8.6-ft dink cannot get up on a plane with two persons aboard and a "small" (Tohatsu 5 hp) engine (but it can plane with me only aboard). So, she rides low and slow--the bow splashing against the wavelets of the light chop. If going with it, however, not so much. This would likely be so for any small dink not on plane regardless of its floor construction. Since you have so much cruising experience, I imagine that you've experienced this at some point along the way. No big deal--just carry a towel as Rich said or put on some foulie wear if the water is cold and you're going far. Or, both of you sit more aft and power up some to get the bow inclined more. That helps some.

However, since you're installing davits, then perhaps consider a larger dinghy w/larger engine--one that will plane the dink with the two of you aboard, even with the air floor. Perhaps a 10-ft Achilles and 9.9 hp engine. The floor itself, if properly inflated, is not really a problem if you have the horse power.:yeah: Now we're talking a few $$$$K not counting the davits. (I'm being facetious here.)

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
The ride in my account is wet, ultimately, because the 8.6-ft dink cannot get up on a plane with two persons aboard and a "small" (Tohatsu 5 hp) engine (but it can plane with me only aboard). So, she rides low and slow--the bow splashing against the wavelets of the light chop.
I agree with everything here. My 3.5hp Nissan isn't enough to get just one person up on plane, so we are always plowing through or on top of the water. Splashes are common. I suspect that more power to allow planing would create a drier ride most of the time. But I do like the low weight of my 3.5hp outboard so if I have to stow and put the dinghy on deck in really bad weather I can manage it. Without a lift and more complications I could not do that with a 60-90# outboard.

AXEL

Mar 12, 2008
Catalina C30 MKIII WEST ISLIP, NY
I have a 9.5 foot Achilles (alumn floor). This is my 3rd dink in 30 years (they were all the same size). I had a Bombard (air floor) and a West Marine (RIB). I liked the Bombard (made by Zodic). I got a good 13 or so years out of it. It was light and I deflated it every weekend after use, rolled it up and stored it below. Very light and easy to handle. The last season though it literary fell apart. The West Marine RIB was given to me. It wasn't that old but was falling apart at every seam. Not well made IMO. I would not recommend buying one. The Achilles alumn floor is a beauty! The last several seasons I hung in on davits with a cover (IMO very important!). We bought a new (used) boat last season. A C30 with a walk thru transom. I found a way to haul it up and tie it off on the stern using the walk thru as a bit of a platform. Works great. The alumn floor will give you a good ride but is about 10 pounds heavier than the air floor model. I use a 6 horse Johnson with the fins (sold seperatly) attached to the cavitation plates. They work great. It will plane with both me and my wife. All this said, if I could do it again I would buy the air floor, easier to sit in, easy on your feet, doesn't get hot in the sun, lighter.. But I will say the alumn floor is very strong and safe in terms of not worrying about putting something thru it. You can easily stand up in it.

Sep 27, 2008
Hunter 41 Longport,NJ
Thanks all - this is a terrific thread. Our boat had the davits installed when we purchased it - so non-issue there. We have had a terrific AB AL10 but it was really really heavy, and for the short hops back and forth to shore that we do we will downsize and try the air floor out, put some lifting points on it and give it a go. If that doesn't work using the foredeck for something this light should not be an issue. Will probably downsize on the engine also- have a Yamaha 9.9 - overkill for what we do Next season will be the season of "dingy downsizing".