New Dacron sails

Apr 25, 2015
Oday 26 Oscoda, MI
Has anybody bought a pair lately and figured out a way to soften them up maybe? I just took my new jib and main out of the bags that I got from Intensity a month or so ago and man are they hard. I knew they would be for Dacron but just thought I would ask if anybody found a way to soften them up or do the crease marks really come out after sailing in some heavy winds?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
You really want them soft?
If you mean you want to relax the creases then you need a big space to lay the sail out. The sail will gradually straighten out.
On the other hand raise the sails and go sailing. You will find the stiff sail will fly more like a wing then the baggie drawers of a soft old sail.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
You want to get rid of that New Sail Smell? They are supposed to be stiff. That's why they will be shaped nicely and will teach you to sail upwind. And, if you don't roll them after sailing, at least fold them differently after each sail. They're not supposed to fall in a nice soft heap. Yeah, folding them may seem like folding aluminum sheets but you'll miss that soon enough. Have fun!

Jan 24, 2009
1981 Cherubini Hunter 27 Shipwright Harbor Marina, MD
:plus: for crisp sails instead of crunchy. My boat will actually track straight now.
Also no patches & frayed edges! Makes me want to go sailing .

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Yeah, being a new sail snob, I don't complain about crisp new sails ever. Better pointing, less heeling makes new sails and maybe cutting your finger on a seam all worth it!

Apr 25, 2015
Oday 26 Oscoda, MI
Thanks all. Haven't had new sails until now so I wasn't sure on the stiffness and thought maybe because they weren't that expensive it was an issue with cheaper sails but I guess now. .

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Thanks all. Haven't had new sails until now so I wasn't sure on the stiffness and thought maybe because they weren't that expensive it was an issue with cheaper sails but I guess now. .
I have a Force 5, and Intensity makes an inexpensive sail for it, roughly $150. The best class legal race sails by Cullen are $500 or $600. Since I'm not racing it, I just wanted a new, better sail than the 30 year old originals.

So, I mentioned to a sailmaker I know, who also used to race Force 5s, and she said that Cullen does indeed make the fastest Force 5 sail, and the Intensity uses sailcloth with too much resin in it.

Me, I'd rather have a new sail that can be trimmed flat, than a baggy old sail that sucks. So, $150 was fine for my intended use of blasting around the lake on high wind days, planing occasionally and spewing spray all over...