New Cockpit Shower

w4swk

Mar 23, 2015
1991 Catalina 22 Wing Keel 15202 Nocona
We are constantly looking for ways to be more comfortable on the boat. A shower seemed like a nice edition. Harbor Freight has a 12V pump for $39 which is working out very well. The "shower head" also came from HF for about $3.99 and the fresh water hose was 6.99 from Ace hardware. The pickup house is strained and drops over the side.
I can run it for one hour per day on the power I save in using an LED in the anchor light.20180828_135932.jpg 4167.jpeg

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Before getting hot water I would try to hook up fresh water. I don't mind salt water skin but my wife, an Ohio girl, hates it. She loves our fresh water cockpit shower preferring it to swimming in the dreaded salt water. You don't really need hot water when it's hot. A cool shower can be delightful. In the PNW, another story.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I always wondered about making a coil of copper tube- like in a still. Hose barbs on the end, hang it in the rigging and pump fresh OR lake water through it. If that does not work, go ahead and make the still :beer:

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
I like the concept, but brackish saltwater showers are not desireable in our neck-o-the-woods. Actually I can deal with it, but not the Admiral!! OTOH, in fresh water lakes, makes a lot of sense...

Mar 2, 2018
Catalina Wing Keel San Diego
I have 2 of those solar water heaters . They work great while van camping but I wouldn't use one on on my boat to mush hassle

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Those of us in salt to brackish water use the black hanging bag solar showers sold in camping stores. Fresh water and nice and warm down here in Florida year round. I just hang it from the boom and cockpit drain takes care of runoff.

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
In the past, we carried a 2 gallon pump up lawn sprayer and would take our bath in the ocean, then simply fill the sprayer with fresh water, set the wand to a fine mist and take a final fresh water rinse top to bottom with about a half a gallon per person.

Sep 14, 2014
Yeah I am working on one right now to put a sprayer head on it like my solar one and paint it black to get the warm water too.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
In the past, we carried a 2 gallon pump up lawn sprayer and would take our bath in the ocean, then simply fill the sprayer with fresh water, set the wand to a fine mist and take a final fresh water rinse top to bottom with about a half a gallon per person.
good plan for sure...I would do same, 'cept my lawn sprayer has Roundup residue....(is that stuff harmful?)
Crap, now I have to take a lawn sprayer onboard, along with a solar bag?
This is getting a might bit complicated...guess I need a bigger boat with all the amenities!

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2014
Technically its actually "all of Y'all" but yeah me too. Its like camping, wait to get home or for the motel night.

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
Any man that takes a slug straight out of a bottle of Ron Zacapa, after tuning his boat, knows the true meaning of life. Well executed sir. :biggrin: