New Cockpit Light

w4swk

Mar 23, 2015
1991 Catalina 22 Wing Keel 15202 Nocona
We have been looking for a small, simple LED light to hang in the cockpit at night when we are out at anchor. I found this little thing last night while looking through the camping section at Walmart. Approx. $4 (x3 AAA batteries included). It has 2 white light settings and one red light. Could even double as an emergency anchor light!

Ken

Attachments

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I recently broke down and spent the outrageous sum of $19 for an inflatable, solar-powered Luci Light. Big thumbs up! The main reason I like it is it can be hung from the boom, where it shines primarily DOWN, so you don't get blinded every time you glance sideways at it. Also because it collapses down to almost nothing. And never needs batteries. And looks cool. :pimp:

The only thing suspect about it is the plastic strap it hangs on. Looks flimsy to me.

w4swk

Mar 23, 2015
Very nice! That looks like the perfect amount of light...

Those look similar to something we used in the BVI's a couple years ago. We hung them inside a big red paper ball in the cockpit...kinda nice when 8 people (who have been enjoying Pain killers all night) climb into a 6 person inflatable and try to find their sailboat (amongst dozens) in the harbor! At night (after Pain killers) they all begin to look alike!

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2015
Catalina 22 MK-II Dillon, CO
I recently broke down and spent the outrageous sum of $19 for an inflatable, solar-powered Luci Light. Big thumbs up! The main reason I like it is it can be hung from the boom, where it shines primarily DOWN, so you don't get blinded every time you glance sideways at it. Also because it collapses down to almost nothing. And never needs batteries. And looks cool. :pimp:

The only thing suspect about it is the plastic strap it hangs on. Looks flimsy to me.

Gene,
Not to hijack the thread, but I note that you have your tiller pointing up and tied off. I have a '97 22 MKII wing keel and the traveler prevents the tiller from lifting up hardly at all. I have a Harken traveler and perhaps it is mounted too low?
cec

w4swk

Mar 23, 2015
Gene,
Not to hijack the thread, but I note that you have your tiller pointing up and tied off. I have a '97 22 MKII wing keel and the traveler prevents the tiller from lifting up hardly at all. I have a Harken traveler and perhaps it is mounted too low?
cec
Perhaps a new post about tiller placement would yield better results?

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
+1 for the inflatable Luci light.
We have 2 of them. One for the boat and one for camping. great things.
So far we haven't needed to use the one for the boat.

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
Glad someone gave that a shot-- I was enamored of it as well. Since I was all gung ho on baby solar and the ability to recharge, I picked up two of these-- wont' get a chance to test on the boat until next weekend, but similarly small footprint and decent LED output.

IMG_0335.JPG
IMG_0336.JPG
IMG_0334.JPG

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I also have Luci lights and after seeing boaters in Key West using Luci light for dinghy light at night was great idea.
I have 2 and use them for boating and my RV no batteries and fold very flat so easy to use so great no batteries love them.
Nick

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
I bought a pack of 4 inflatable imitation Luci lights off Amazon a while back and love them. As much as I like tent camping and the associated rituals of replacing lantern mantles, spilling Coleman fuel, burning yourself and listening to your lantern pop off after you shut it down, I really like the inflatable lights. They stow anywhere, are more portable and light up pretty darn good.