New Classe Figaro boat for 2019, and its a foiler!

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Classe Figaro and Beneteau have announced the replacement for the superb and long serving Figaro II, and its a foiling Monohull designed by the world-class design house of VPLP. The prototype is in production now, and will be trialed and tested for two seasons before making it debut for all participants in the 2019 series.

For a production boat, the foils emerge at deck level and can be retracted to make slipping easier.

Classe Figaro is a big step on the French Single/Double handed racing ladder, starting out with the First Class 7.5 and ending at the Vendee IMOCA 65s. Every single Vendee skipper has done serious miles in a Figaro.

I want one! Read more at:

http://www.yachtingmonthly.com/news/beneteau-announces-production-foiling-monohull-54366

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I want one!
Well Of Course you do. And with the new to be Ms Jackdaw being a sailor maybe you will get one... Or maybe not.... Aw the loss of single hood....
If you do get one please post pictures. For sure you will be the fastest non motorized boat in your waters.

Bosman

Oct 24, 2010
Solina 27 Wabamun, Alberta
I do very much enjoy the styling cues and design of modern sailboats, including this one. Besides the fact I am not a racer, I would gladly take possession of "fast cruiser non foiling" version of this boat. As long as standing height in the cabin is offered ;-)
Jackdaw, you will need a longer lake!

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Love to see this direction in a race design, rather than everything going into the current crop of finicky foiled multi-hulls. just call me old fashioned.

Nov 8, 2010
Love to see this direction in a race design, rather than everything going into the current crop of finicky foiled multi-hulls. just call me old fashioned.
VERY TRUE.

Nov 8, 2010
Well Of Course you do. And with the new to be Ms Jackdaw being a sailor maybe you will get one... Or maybe not.... Aw the loss of single hood....
If you do get one please post pictures. For sure you will be the fastest non motorized boat in your waters.
Thanks! While a total gamer, Jodi lets the team do its thing on crazy race days; she come on less frenetic days. But weather is not an issue.... she made 3 of the 4 Shackleton Cups the November the boat sailed, including the last one where it was 34F degrees at the start.

As for a new boat, the Fig3 might be fun, but I'll be looking for more middle ground for us. And I've got one in mind. FAST and comfy. Now just to find one here in the USA....... ;^) No its not a Pogo!

Jan 4, 2010
Farr 30 San Francisco
Wow, wonder how much halo effect this gets Beneteau, does the average Oceanis buyer even know about this thing? I mean I didn't and like to think myself well informed. Bene is also working on wing sails aren't they

Nov 8, 2010
Wow, wonder how much halo effect this gets Beneteau, does the average Oceanis buyer even know about this thing? I mean I didn't and like to think myself well informed. Bene is also working on wing sails aren't they
It will be interesting to see how/if foiling tech makes it into mainstream. Durability will be the biggest factor, and the cost/benefit ratio on heavier boats. Its kinda like F1 wings on production sedans.

Jun 28, 2016
Hunter 23.5 Paupack, PA
Ha! That does get the blood pumping. If you squint it looks just like one of those IMOCA 60 boats, huuuge gennaker, square top main. It probably comes with a spare rooder and a bean bag!