New Catalina owner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 12, 2010
Catalina 27 here
Just bought a 79 Catalina 27. I will be picking it up next Sunday. Boat is in fairly good condition. I will be looking to add a reefer, repaint the top side deck, upholster the cushions, install a fresh water cooling system, flush/clean the existing cooling system, replace upgrade the stereo, replace the VHF radio, refinish the external teak and I am sure 100 other things.

This site was a source of good info relative to my search for a boat, I bet it will continue to be a good source.

Ciao,

Troy

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Congratulations on your new boat.

What engine?

Reefer - do mean refrigeration? If so, I recommend you start doing research on energy budgets and electrical systems. Bill Roosa on this 'site has a good spreadsheet. Another budget resource is here: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,3976.0.html

If you download the PDF from that link, you'll see that different boat uses use different amounts of energy. Instead of reinventing the wheel, trust us: fridges take 60 AH in a 24 hour period. Period. Since you're going to be redo your boat, insulate the fridge if you can, if you can't freeze liter bottles of water to aid the mechanical cooling.

We can help you out with alternators and electrical systems, too. Let us.

Save some $$ and buy a handheld VHF. If the one you have down below works, fine, but you'll rarely use it because it's not upstairs.

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
Post some picts, I'd like to see what you are doing. Just finishing the wood on mine. Had to remake all of the cockpit wood and strip and refinish the rest. The cushions are next. Bought 20 yds of Sunbrella for $10 /yd. Bought a Uniden VHS for $75 with WAM capability. Can hookup to 4
wireless remote mics. No need to go down inside to use but you still get 25 watts of strength.

Sep 12, 2010
Catalina 27 here
Stu,
This boat has the Atomic 4. By reefer I do mean Fridge, not sold on the idea yet just will look into it as it seems a better long term upgrade than the ice box. This boat comes with a hand held VHF as well as the non working system below.

Regards,

Troy

Sep 12, 2010
Catalina 27 here
Frank,
I haven't done anything yet, just made the purchase today. Now I need to find a slip in the SF Bay this week, the closer to Milpitas the better. Next Sunday I will be taking possession of the boat.

Attachments

Sep 12, 2010
Catalina 27 here
Ok, boat is mine :) fairly light wind today. I was able to single hand the boat about 8 miles across the San Fransisco bay. I did not hit anything and I got it into my new berth on the first try... did not hit anything.

I sailed on the main alone as controlling the jib and main while sailing solo is more than I can handle at the moment. All in all a good day.

Sep 12, 2010
Catalina 27 here
"Marina Bay Yacht Harbor"... located near the scenic Richmond, CA... ha ha. The Marina is actually clean and well kept with a polite and friendly staff. Access to the marina is maybe a detractor as with a keel boat you need to sail about 45min in a channel to reach the deeper water in the bay. There is a much shorter direct route however it is as shallow as 2 feet so no good there. So far so good, I am happy with the purchase but there are 500 small items to address.

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 27 Stuart Florida
I've been repairing my 1979 27' catalina for the past 7 years.....if you have any questions just ask.....you can reach me at drsnook@bellsouth.net I live in South Florida. AJ Smith.

Sep 12, 2010
Catalina 27 here
AJ,
Nice of you to offer. I have at the moment on the starboard side, ~midway in the V-berth the topside lifeline stanchion is loose and condensation drips down into the V-berth wall. Have you put backing plates on your boat and how so in this area as it seems like tough access?

Regards,

Troy

Sep 12, 2010
Catalina 27 here
Sail from Richmond, CA to Half Moon Bay

If I wanted to take such a sail I was wondering:

On a 1979 Catalina 27 with the Atomic 4 inboard,

1. How long should I expect the trip to take.

2. What dangers are posed to a boat this size entering and exiting the SF Bay?

3. What dangers are posed to a boat this size entering and exiting Half moon bay?

4. What as a minimum should I bring with me for a trip of this duration... safety and provision wise.

5. Is such a trip advisable yes or no?

Just looking for thoughts opinions and or advice.

Grazie,

Troy

My experience level is:

4 years on an Aircraft Carrier
1 ASA 101 sailing class
1 single hand trip from Sausalito to Richmond
1 two person trip from Richmond to Angle Island and back

What I see in my experience listed above is I know how wicked the ocean can be. I can get my boat into and out of the slip without hitting anything and I can sail in a general direction and return without getting lost.

Jun 7, 2004
Catalina 27 Sturgeon Bay, WI
I have a 1979 Tall Rig Catalina with an Atomic 4; have had it for ten years now. New sails on down to Cetol on the brite work, etc. Like the boat and have gone across Lake Michigan 9 times (about 65 to 70 miles). Have all the original manuals. Need any help, lemme know. Never was on an Aircraft Carrier, but did try to land a USAF Helo, but the Navy refused. Smart. Have fun with your 27'. Jim Huhta

Feb 26, 2004
Troy

It's a great trip. Did it in our C25 a couple of times and in C34 at least three times.

Go out on an ebb, come back on a flood. Do the timing, lotsa tide info available, all the way from the little books at chandleries to computers.

Pick neap tides, but you can do it on a full spring with your boat.

18 miles from the Gate down to HMB. Great harbormasters. They rent you a 50A adapter if you have 30A shorepower, all the docks that are open are usually for fishing guys with high amperage dock electrical.

It's a long day trip: Berkeley to GGB 5 miles, GGB to Pt Bonita 2 miles, 18 miles south. Watch the seas for anything over the south bar. Buy Kimball Livingston's book Sailing The Bay, good stuff.

Pick good weather, don't do it after October, ever.

Charts entering HMB are easy, just take the chart or the chartlet with you or use a GPS with a chart. Plan ahead.

Stu

Sep 12, 2010
Catalina 27 here
I have found a trailer that the owner uses to haul his Catalina 25 around on it... I am hoping my Catalina 27 will fit on this trailer. Anyone have a guess as to if a Cat 27 will fit on a Cat 25 trailer... or know of where I might get the min required dimensions on a trailer for it to work with the Cat 27?

Thanks,

Troy

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 27 Stuart Florida
Troy: I used large ss fender washers and 5200. worked great....very strong and waterproof.

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
I have found a trailer that the owner uses to haul his Catalina 25 around on it... I am hoping my Catalina 27 will fit on this trailer. Anyone have a guess as to if a Cat 27 will fit on a Cat 25 trailer... or know of where I might get the min required dimensions on a trailer for it to work with the Cat 27?

Thanks,

Troy
My files I have suggest that the C25 and C27 cradle were one and the same at the factory. there is a reasonable chance a C25 trailer can be used to haul a C27

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2010
Catalina 27 here
Thanks Phil... someone has pointed out to me I need to keep in mind the GVWR on the trailer as the Cat 27 is much heavier.

Sep 12, 2010
Catalina 27 here
Condensation

Ok, in the early morning on the inside of the boat there is condensation on the ceiling. However it is not uniform throughout the boat. It seems to be significantly worse in the Vee birth. Any reason for this? Is it possibly related to the life line stanchions that are more prevalent in number located in this area? Would it provide any value for me to put caulking around the base of the stanchions topside?

Regards,

Troy

Feb 26, 2004
Troy, if you have a leak from a stanchion you NEED to rebed the stanchion correctly. Putting glop on the outside will NOT fix it. As to condensation inside, you didn't say if you were on board. If so, your breath and and body heat will create it. If not, it's the leak. Fix it and fix it right. Do NOT use 5200 anywhere on your boat except the hull to deck joint. Maine Sail's new butyl tape is a great source for stanchion bedding materials and silicone caulk has worked for me for 30 years - others may disagree with the silicone and provide "better" answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.