New Catalina 385 - Hull 61

May 28, 2015
Catalina 385 Long Branch, NJ
We just learned that our new Catalina 385, Hull #61, will be completed and delivered to NJ shortly after Labor Day. To say we are excited to return to the Catalina family after six years with a Motor Yacht is an understatement (previously we owned a Catalina 36).

Does anyone have any suggestions for the period from delivery, thru commissioning, to delivery cruise?

As our delivery cruise includes a transit of the NJ Atlantic coast, we are weighing whether to keep her on the Delaware in Riverside for the winter or bring her straight to Atlantic Highlands/Long Branch right away.

May 10, 2008
Catalina 355 Boston
Congratulations! I'm not sure I understand your question, but I would suggest keeping her as close to the commissioning broker for as long as possible to sort through any issues you may have. I've had the opportunity to help several friends with their new boats over the past couple of seasons and there is always a punch list to be sorted through. I'm sure the wait is hard!

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Congratulations.

I agree with Solstice.

In fact, you might want to consider having a survey done. Really.

If not, check every single hose clamp, just for starters. You really need a checklist, a comprehensive one.

Like this: http://forums.sbo.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=102541

You need to, as hard as it will be, get over the "new boat" cheeriness and treat this as the business proposition that it really is.

Everything, everything MUST work right, and Solstice's idea of staying close is absolutely correct.

You need to spend the time that will be required "work the boat" to check everything out. A nice daysail in 12 knot breeze won't do it.

There have been a lot of 385s made, but there seem to be a dearth of skippers online that I've found, unless there is a Yahoo or Google group that I don't know about. Find it and read, read, read. Before you get the boat. If you haven't already.

All the best, you'll be really happy. Great boats. Most systems are identical to the 355, so the info on their Google group would be quite helpful as well. Having had a 36, you know the value of a good website in order to avoid reinventing the wheel. :)

Jun 9, 2004
Catalina 385 Marquette. Mi
I agree with Solstice, also. ....and Stu. My dealer gave us free dockage and storage for the first year. There was a reason. To get all of the bugs out. And there will be small bugs. Double check shaft alignment, interior door fit, electronic updates, etc. The support from Catalina is second to none. Enjoy your darling of a boat. We love ours. ........

May 28, 2015
Yes ... But schedules unfortunately don't permit a visit .. We are nagging for pictures

May 28, 2015
She finally arrived on Tuesday (held up enroute due to Papal visit) ... We are methodically working through her systems one by one. Based on comments above we will winter at the dealer and spend Fall and Spring shaking ng her out.