New Catalina 22 owner

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Catalina Jaguar 22 Simons Town
I gave up using that type of blue plastic cover as the sun just chows it to pieces after a couple of months! UV is a killer...

Aug 22, 2017
Catalina 22 Rapel Lake
Greg, the boat came with 2 of this covers, what are you using now?
As I don't want to leave the marks of the chokes when taking them out I'll use them to anchor my judy inflatable doll on bikini when sailing alone:laugh::laugh:

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Greg, the boat came with 2 of this covers, what are you using now?
As I don't want to leave the marks of the chokes when taking them out I'll use them to anchor my judy inflatable doll on bikini when sailing alone:laugh::laugh:
Yoh yoh yoh!

Aug 22, 2017
Catalina 22 Rapel Lake
finally finish the work on the keel, sandblast done:
20170922_183612.jpg

then after the filling and painting
20171124_185526.jpg

In the meantime CD send me all the parts and a few other gifts for me so this past weekend, I had a few friends helping me out to install keel, it was a trial an error, first we tried to raise the boat from the trailer, it was hard and we make no progress, then try to put the keel under water as it should be less weight but working under water was harder, then we took the boat out of the trailer in the water, took the trailer out and set the keel in position in the trailer measuring the right position, took the trailer in the water and set the boat on the keel and started to get every thing out of the water and alone it started to settle in the correct position, so we finally and after I smached my finger and good 3 hours of work we finally put the keel in place.

After everything was correctly attached, we put the boat in the water and at the next day I took the boat out for a test, this was my first crew (a little bit junior but..):
20171209_124835.jpg

So first day in the water with the boat was very nice, I didn't set the sails just motoring.
and after the first day I have a question, the sail goes in the mast through a notch in the mast, but the notch is high in the mast, when the sail is down the plastics snaps are past this notch, what prevents that when I raise the sail, the snaps go out passing the notch? there is some part missing I think.

thanks!

Attachments

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
"Mast gates" are what you need. Catalina didn't install them at the factory.

We bought a set from Tom Luque at mastgates.com, and they are wonderful. Tom is a first-class guy, very helpful, and a pleasure to do business with. We chose a set of "Dual External Tethered" gates as seen here, just scroll down to "Single & Dual External Tethered MastGates": http://www.mastgates.com/photos.html

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Congrats on getting the keel done and boat on the water! Great lookin' crew you have there...next, hoist a sail, turn off that motor and enjoy the satisfaction of it all!!!
(+1 on mastgates, good advice from Gene)

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Thanks for the inspiration... I'm still plugging away at my boat but going is a bit slow.

Hope you and the kids have a great time sailing your boat this summer time. :plus:

Aug 22, 2017
Catalina 22 Rapel Lake
As the season started I begun adding a few items to the boat, I started with a DIY lazy jack using Harken blocks:
20180120_204754.jpg

20180120_204802.jpg

Then added the Garmin deep sounder with speed sensor, added a wood block with Sika Marine adhesive and fiber to attach the sensors.
20180120_205006.jpg

Now a mast base so I can move the lines to the cockpit (and a 30W solar panel, still don't know how to run the cables inside, meanwhile I put the cables between poptop):
20180120_204747.jpg

Also put a windex on the mast, great addition!
20180120_204807.jpg

A deck organizer:
20180120_204739.jpg

Then cut the handrails to put the rope clutch:
20180120_160509.jpg

20180120_204730.jpg

And a bag for the ropes and small items (cell phone, etc):
20180120_204733.jpg

Yesterday I added a lanyard to the genoa so it clears the pulpit
20180120_204842.jpg

Next I have to install an USB charger for a tablet I use with Navionics software, I decided to install under the Garmin but I saw my wife laying totally relaxed in that spot made me change my mind.
I saw the jib downhaul in this site so it will be my next project, thanks to every one for the inspiration on this projects!

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I'm a little concerned by the apparent lack of any tension in your starboard upper shroud, in the second pic. Is it loose for a reason??

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
I'm guessing ChileanJK raised the mast temporarily to set up the lazy jacks, and just has the lower shrouds tight, not bringing the uppers to tension.

I'm far from an expert in these matters, but I read somewhere that it's important to check that the upper shrouds are firmly locked/wired into the spreader bar, under the spreader boots. The concern being, if not, the upper shrouds could slip out from the spreaders, and the rig could buckle. That's on my personal list of projects.

Judging from the photos, ChileanJK has me beat on tackling the C22 project list--

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
There are a couple of extra cables in the photo. The set that appears to be the headsail halyard looks twisted around itself. I'd be a little concerned about that. The upper shrouds should be a little tighter than the lower shrouds, but on a 22, I don't think that's really a concern. The loose cable looks like something extra, it isn't on the other side. Is it the main halyard?
I'll put my vote in with Hardhead. The mast was on its way up or down when the photo was taken.

Great thread, ChileanJK, very inspiring. Nice work, beautiful family. Beautiful boat and obviously in good hands, both boat and family.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Aug 22, 2017
Catalina 22 Rapel Lake
Thanks, it was loose while I was seting up the lazy jacks as at first was too long, so I have to take the mast down to make it shorter, I put tension but just at eye ball, today a friend will measure the tension to make it right I hope!
There was a few lines everywhere while I worked on the rope clutch, but I reorder every thing later.
Thanks Will for your kind words!

b9536417-34bb-49bd-877f-6acfdff0da9f.jpg

Aug 22, 2017
Catalina 22 Rapel Lake
Added the boom vang, as my boat came with the hound I just needed the blocks and line:
20180211_192517.jpg
20180211_192540.jpg

I was looking a few pictures of 22's and I found that the traveler bar in my boat is bent forward by maybe 3/4" and I can't find info about how to change the bar, do I have to cut an access to change it?

Attachments

Last edited: