New Catalina 22 owner

Aug 22, 2017
Catalina 22 Rapel Lake
Hi sailors, I just bought a catalina 22 hull # 4578 1974 (I think), this is my first sailboat, I have had motor boats and jet ski, but I wanted a sailboat as I would like to make a longer trip on a sailboat, it's a 10 years plan with my wife (I still have to convince her haha) , and started with learning the basics on a sail school, now I bought the boat, it need works here an there, but I found a few diferences with the catalina's on the board, this boat doesn't have lifelines neither stern pulpit nor front hatch, I tought they were all built the same, now I regret to not look further and wait until I found one "complete" model.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Welcome, and congratulations on your purchase! Stern pulpit, lifelines and a forward hatch can all be added later, although I don't know about the pulpit parts availability in Chile.

I had to google Rapel Lake. It looks beautiful, 31 square miles? Perhaps you could live without the stern pulpit and lifelines there? I actually removed them from my first C22.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
@ChileanJK :
Congratulations on the boat and welcome to the "club".
Any photos of the boat ?

Yes, the boat have varied in features over the years.
Not just when the major design changes occured from the C22, C22 New Design, C22 Mark 2, etc.
The main difference in the original models, is whether the boat come with the optional poptop.
There is a boat near me, that is exactly likes yours, and lacks the forward hatch and other things.

Lago Rapel is a VERY nice looking lake, that appears to have a number of sailboats, based on online photos.
Is there a sailing club ?

Aug 22, 2017
Catalina 22 Rapel Lake
Thanks for the welcome, about the parts, there is no parts other than the big standard brands Harken, Nautos, etc, but it is easy to buy from ebay just have to pay more for the shipping and a few big items are unable to buy as shipping would be so big that it is better to build it locally.
This is the first picture:

The lake is artificial, there is a dam on the side, in the winter the level of water goes down and in summer they keep the level high for nautical sports. It is very nice and in summer temps are in 90 F (30-34 C) range. There are a few sailing clubs and marinas, I took my sail clasess on one of them.

The first thing a want to do is put the mast on and rig it to see if there is something missing, then check the wing keel, is too much for take it out by myself? My family is compose by 5 womens and me, so it is only me doing the hard work.

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
Welcome - I'm new here myself, and there are many good people on this forum. I think anyone who buys an older Catalina 22 sees it as more than just sailing.

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Catalina Jaguar 22 Simons Town
My family is compose by 5 womens and me, so it is only me doing the hard work.
LOL... I feel for you... my family is composed of five "females"... My wife, daughter and three female dogs! I get no help either... but at least the dogs wag their tails when they come to the boat and look at me!!! :laugh:

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Your boat looks exactly the same set up as mine was however I do have a hatch in the fore deck. My boat has very curious old winches on as well. The seem to be made from a non-metal fiber type material with brass insert on the winch drum and brass base and internal parts. Single speed only. I actually feel like trying to refurbish them just to keep a bit of history nostalgia on the boat.

Aug 22, 2017
Catalina 22 Rapel Lake
LOL... I feel for you... my family is composed of five "females"... My wife, daughter and three female dogs! I get no help either... but at least the dogs wag their tails when they come to the boat and look at me!!! :laugh:
Dude, there is no place like living with 5 womens, the other day, had to work late, arrived home, my wife was sleep but my 13yo daughter was up, goes down the stairs and without the "hello" she asked me, "why are you coming home this late?", "where have you been until this hour?" I just smiled at her and send her to bed and I though oh good was I that bad?:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Aug 22, 2017
Catalina 22 Rapel Lake
Your boat looks exactly the same set up as mine was however I do have a hatch in the fore deck. My boat has very curious old winches on as well. The seem to be made from a non-metal fiber type material with brass insert on the winch drum and brass base and internal parts. Single speed only. I actually feel like trying to refurbish them just to keep a bit of history nostalgia on the boat.
This is a better picture of the rear of the boat, there you can see the winches, did you use them?, in such a small boat I don't really know if they have a use, I am on the other side of the fence, wanting to update the boat to newer parts. Hey Cape Town, I follow a youtube guys called "sailing sv delos", they were in cape town and showed amazing places to sail, congratulations!

Aug 22, 2017
Catalina 22 Rapel Lake
This weekend I put the mast and learn how to rigg everything, and I have tons of questions if you don't mind, I found a few things that don't look good, the keel lock was full of silicone:
20170903_124649.jpg
behind was this:
20170903_124603.jpg
Should I bought the keel lock and the locking strap?
And the keel cable:
20170902_165054.jpg
20170902_165104.jpg
20170902_165111.jpg
I will not use it on salt water.
I thougth the next one will be an easy fix, but it doesn't have screws!
20170903_160912.jpg
Any comments?
thanks to all

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Wow wow wow... get rid of the keel cable locking devices and get correct keel cable fittings. Those u-bolts are for temporary use on standing rigging only and even then only used to lash something down temporarily.... I would never use them on any sort of running rigging. If corrosion sets in the cable could slip through and u-bolts and the keel would drop down. Even in fresh water I would seriously not use this type of thing!

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
@ChileanJK

I agree with @greg_m

That cable is not attached correctly.
I would drop/remove the keel, and inspect the keel hangers, pivot pin, winch cable, turning ball, volcano tube etc.

If you have the skill, and tools, you can do much of the work yourself.

There are a few threads here that show how to rebuild the swing keel and it's mount/lift systems. @CloudDiver has a great onee

If you can find another keel that is in better shape, locally, then it may or may not save you some work.

Those winches are used for the headsail/jib and make things easier. Your's look like the usual type thet installed on the C22.

If I remember correctly, those cleats are bolted onto the mast. Do you have close up photos ?

Aug 22, 2017
Catalina 22 Rapel Lake
Here in Chile we don't have many catalinas, so it's not easy to find used parts, I can buy the parts on CD and bring it to Chile, I don't plan to put the boat on the water until october so I have at least a month to fix the critical things.
On the keel you can't even see the bolts on one side:
20170902_165220.jpg 20170902_165158.jpg

About the cleat this is the best I have as I don't have the boat all week, only on weekends when I go to the lake, as you can see there is only holes, I assume is some kind of a rivet.
20170903_135659.jpg
Thanks

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
I'd definitely drop the keel, and inspect everything.
Based on the accumulation of stuff on the bottom, it was probably not maintained.

Hmm. Might be a rivet on the cleat. The photo is too small to see details.
It would be simple to drill down into the mounting hole in the cleat, until it comes loose. Then remove the leftover rivet/bolt/whatever. Just don't drill to far, and end up drilling the mast.

greg_m

May 23, 2017
I'd definitely drop the keel, and inspect everything.
Based on the accumulation of stuff on the bottom, it was probably not maintained.

Hmm. Might be a rivet on the cleat. The photo is too small to see details.
It would be simple to drill down into the mounting hole in the cleat, until it comes loose. Then remove the leftover rivet/bolt/whatever. Just don't drill to far, and end up drilling the mast.
I would prefer that you safely lower the keel... don't want any broken toes now do we? :laugh:

Aug 22, 2017
Catalina 22 Rapel Lake
Worked on the keel this weekend, I think is in better shape than I tougth (judging by few I have seen on the internet), is missing the eye bolt, but there is no play on the hangers, altought one of the hangers were modified, they moved the bolt hole, but was firm, it has the plastics shims and the pivot pin is in perfect state, I put the keel on the truck to take it to repair, I put an order to CD for the cable and the eye bolt (and a few gadgets:biggrin:), I have to wait 2 weeks for the arrival, while I have the keel out I was thinking in sandblasting it, refill the holes and cover it with fiber, what do you think? I think it says MEXICO:
31301a97-03d1-44db-b0ee-0a75661a9419.jpg
3abdf65c-0d3e-40e4-a435-6f143b4c8333.jpg
ce162c6f-91a6-4a98-b671-851d3c29168a.jpg
edc32d7e-341a-4b35-b50d-d331ed8ad709.jpg
46ea4321-0571-4d40-8694-56c2b230eeef.jpg
1cec490d-8934-4919-95a5-d33390290046.jpg

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
couldn't for the life of me figure out why the forward portion of the keel looked like it was permanently mired organic goo-- but now that I see the creative lack of an eye bolt it all becomes clear.

Sounds like you're on the eye bolt path-- good idea considering the bulk of the cable clamp shoved up into the recess. I would certainly blast, and coat with epoxy at the very least. Odd that your leading and trailing edge seem to have some significant erosion while the flat surfaces look good from 30 feet. I guess you'll find out if that's all filler or no -- but I would be inclined to clean up the edges and at least make her look like a blade again. Relatively small effort considering if you seal it up and fix the eyebolt you may not have to go back for several seasons.