New cabin top handrails.

Hagar

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 42 Olympia Washington
Scallop cut wood handrails are beautiful but a nightmare to keep looking nice. Our 1990 Catalina 42 has them. The original installation had them through-bolted with the bolt heads inside the rails and acorn nuts on the underside of the cabin top that are hidden by a teak trim batten. The intention may have been to make them removable but the flat head 1/4" bolts under the plugs would rotate on about half of them when I first tried to remove them for refinish about 15 years ago. The teak was long neglected and not very good quality to begin with. I ended up demolishing them and changing the design to use lag screws from below up into the scallop pedestals. Instead of sealant I made individual gaskets from 1/16" buna-N (Nitrile) sheet - 50 durometer firmness. The old new rails worked great except... The 5/4 (1" thick) teak I had on hand at the time was a wide piece but too short. Nothing like a challenge so I made a 6:1 edge lap joint with a spline. This worked great until the epoxy I used to make the joint got UV damage and started to splinter. I repaired and refinished them once about 6 years ago but the splinter came back. Looked bad and a bit of a safety hazard. Teak is getting pretty expensive so this time around a took a page from Tom Y's book and went with Ipe. Found a nice piece of 4/5 with good, tight vertical grain. $70 vs. the $200 plus for teak.

Here is a photo-essay of the project:

After doing an Autocad layout a bunch of 3" holes - 24 total. The carbide Spyder bit cut a but rougher than my normal hole saws but did have the advantage the the large gullet for each tooth allowed the sawdust to come out. The first experimental cut with a regular steel hole saw took about 10 in/outs to clean the teeth. Ipe is very abrasive and the saw was a bit dull after just one hole. The outer edge of this piece was beveled on the ends and a 1/2" round-over on the router table made what will be the rounded top.
IMG_1683.JPG

Holes done.
IMG_1684.JPG

Cut in half.
IMG_1685.JPG

It had to be cut open to be able to open the spans with a bandsaw. Internal mantra - "Don't let your brain wander and cut the wrong place." Repeat continuously.
IMG_1686.JPG

Some work with the drum sander.
IMG_1687.JPG

Clamp them back together and use a 3/8" round-over on the inside.
IMG_1688.JPG

Lots of finish sanding followed by 6 coats of clear urethane. I use a 2-part automotive top coat that sets quickly, is very hard and not effected by UV.
IMG_1696.JPG

The Ipe looks more like mahogany than teak but harder and more dense. We will see how everything holds up. The cabin top surface where these rails go is smooth and flat. If it had been non-skid I would have gone to 1/8" buna-N for the gaskets. Neoprene would have been just as good but I had some of the buna-N left over from a real work project. The clear finish holds up very well but once it gets dinged moisture gets under it and it lifts. I think that is probably an issue with any gloss finish. The same finish on the previous set held up well until the lap joint started to split. We cover them with sunbrella covers most of the time. We can tell we are really cruising when the rail covers come off!

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
Ipe is good stuff . I made handrails for two different customers using it Looks like a nice job. Only really bad thing is the density- DO NOT drop it into the water- Ipe does not float!!

I did my wooden mast with the 2 part auto clear coat back in 2008, Still holding nicely until the hurricane,, now needs refinish.

My ex spraying the mast

Attachments

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
+1 on IPE as a good choice. Also Iroko is a good choice, but not as easy to find. I actually prefer both of those woods over teak for a number of reasons. I don't really understand why boat bulding ever went to teak in the first place....

dj

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
What about the tendency for Ipe to check and splinter? Can you prepare it so that it will not leave a nasty splinter in your hand when grabbing hold as the glossy varnish weathers?

Feb 11, 2017
former Tartan 30 New London, CT area
I, too, redid the cabin top handrails on my Tartan 30. Tartan provided raised pads in the deck molding for the handrails, so the rails were just strips of teak, screwed and bunged. Tore up the teak and replaced with Trex decking material - didn't even try to bung the screws. Just left the flat heads flush with the surface. No varnish, no maintenance.

Hagar

Jan 22, 2008
Re: the 2-part Ureathane. A several years ago a buddy and I ordered a split a 1 quart kit of Honey Teak. It worked well but was really expen$ive. Something like $150 / quart. A couple of years later my son and I restored an old Yamaha 1/2 liter thumper I bought in 1970-something. We did a acrylic finish with clear top coat. Sniff-sniff. Smells exactly like the Honey Teak but $40/qt. I used the left-overs from that project on the new handrails. Put on 2 coats, let dry overnight then sanded and did 4 more finish coats. Re-coat time is only 15 minutes so I don't even bother to take off the respirator. It would not work well if you have joints that might work a bit since it is hard and won't stretch.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
NICE WORK!

It looks like you have good equipment in your shop too.

- Will (Dragonfly)

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
They look great! The best thing I did was fasten from below. Sure, sure, thru bolting is fool proof, structurally, but it makes the handrails pretty much impossible to maintain.

If you know wood and how to correctly install screws-lags, you can install handrails soundly from below, like you have done.

I like your idea of a gasket. I might do that next time I remove mine.

Aug 7, 2018
Catalina 350 Great Sodus Bay, Lake Ontario
I ordered some of the same gasket material from the local granger store. I plan to remove and rebed the teak rails this weekend. This sound SO MUCH easier than life calk or butel. Is there a downside? am I missing something?

Aug 7, 2018
Catalina 350 Great Sodus Bay, Lake Ontario
Sorry .... would this work on shroud plates@ the deck? Stantions?

Hagar

Jan 22, 2008
I've thought about using it for stanchions but haven't had to pull them up yet. We have patterned non-skit where some of the base plates go. In those areas I would go with 1/8". On the first handrail installation I did have one of them leak after a couple of years but just tightening the lag bolt about 1/4 turn took care of it. The deck on our boat is made up with the outer deck formed from fiberglass the the usual manner. There is an inner fiberglass liner. The space in between was injected with what looks like resin and microballoons. Looks like pink sytrofoam board on really hard. There is no chance the deck structure will compress like it would of there was a balsa core.

Note regarding Tom's comment about lag screws. The rails are 2 1/2" base to top. The lag screws come within about 5/8" of the top of the rail so I was careful to drill deep enough but not too deep. The Ipe is really hard and won't compress so if the holes were not deep enough the rails may have split. I did a few tests in the shop about what size to drill the holes. Normally for lag screws I would use a drill that was the same size as the root diameter of the screws but ended up with holes about halfway between the major diameter and root diameter. It looked a bit large but when I tightened one of the screws to destruction with a test scrap the screw snapped before the threads stripped. Will have to check my notes when I get back home but I think they were drilled 7/32 diameter.