New Bow Roller installation

Jun 8, 2014
Hunter 23.5 Lake MaBride
Just bought a Bow Roller for my anchor on the H235.
Wondering about what's under that area where the bolts go? What about the fasteners? Is it through bolted or just a big wood screw. Is there a way to get to the underside?
Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thx,
Mike H.

Attachments

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
Cannot you get to the underside just by opening the deck anchor locker hatch? You really should through bolt the roller rather than using screws. There will be a time when you will drive over the anchor to free it from the bottom if you have a hard time lifting it off yourself. You will then need to make sure you don't rip the bow roller out of the deck with this pressure. You can probably get away with using stainless bolts to fit the holes in the roller and then use fender washers and lock nuts on the underside.

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
Definitely not wood screws, thru bolt it. Wish my 94' 26 had that spot for a roller. I want to come up with a way to put a roller on my boat but there really isn't a good place for it. I know there are some mods in the archive, I will likely have to follow someone else's lead.

Is there a panel inside you can remove to get to that space? On my last boat I installed a round access hatch in the fore-peak to access that area.

Or maybe a small access hatch in the anchor locker like this.
7216.jpg

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
The H260 has a bedded aluminum plate there. Here are the instructions @Blyb was able to supply for me. (Direct from Hunter.)
@Crazy Dave Condon can confirm the bedded aluminum on your boat.

"To start the customer will need (3) 5/16�-18 bolts and a �� drill bit 3� � 6� long or longer, they will also need a 5/16� tap (I recommend a bottom or tapered tap) 3� � 6� long.

The customer will need to take the bow roller move it as close to the edge as possible, mark the most forward hole with a pencil and then move it back 5/16" (the length of one more bolt size. This is so the customer does not drill to close to the edge. Set the bow roller back in place and make sure all 3-bolt holes are marked.

The customer will need to drill all 3-holes with a �� drill bit, when drilling the customer will see metal shaving, as the drill bit is going in and out. Make sure to drill all the way through the metal plate. Then the customer will take a 5/16� tap, make sure that the tap is tight in the drill (make sure that the drill has forward and reverse), start the tap in one of the 3-holes and make sure to hold the drill snugly and run down until clears the metal. Note if it feels like the tap is getting tight back it off and start again. Do not break the tap off in the aluminum plate.

Once all 3-holes are drilled and tapped then clean off the deck area and caulk all 3-holes and set the bow roller in place and start all 3-bolts before tightening them down. After all 3-bolts are tight clean up any caulk that may squeeze out.

If for some reason there is no metal in the deck when drilling for the bow roller, the customer will need to make sure it is thru-bolted before using."

I hope this gives you the information you need. You could also inquire in the forums to see if other owners have added the bow roller and what tips they have.

Kindest regards,

Bly Berken
SailboatOwners.com

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
The instructions are right on. As to caulk, do not use 5200 here. Suggest 4200 which is not permanent or some form of butyl tape As to the bolts I would use a little silicon on the upper threads to seal that for sure as well. Clean up excess caulk with alcohol. You can use acetone but alchol. Heck even moonshine worked well only if you have too much of it.

Feb 18, 2011
Hunter 260 Cave Run Lake, KY
Did this on my H240. There is access from below on the 240 if you remove the wood panel in the v-berth. Only additional suggestion is to test fit with the anchor in the roller to check clearance. If you can position the roller to keep the flukes from hitting the hull when stored, that is best.

Jun 8, 2014
Hunter 23.5 Lake MaBride
Just finished the installation. Used four SS 5/16" Carriage bolts with extra large washers underneath. I don't think it's going anywhere. Thx for the input.

Nov 12, 2017
Hunter 23.5 Harbor Town: Lake Allatoona
Resurrecting an older thread here...

Do you have a make and model number for a bow roller that will fit the H23.5? Also looking for a good Delta type anchor to go along with a bow roller. The Danforth style that came with the boat just won’t grab where I need to anchor.

Thoughts and opinions appreciated!

-BT

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
On the 23.5 you will have to remove the forward V berth panel to install a bow roller as there is no provision for an anchor roller with encapsulated aluminum plate inside the fiberglass as on the newer water ballasted boats. You will need to thru bolt with a backing plate and locking nuts to distribute the load and make sure to caulk well.

Nov 12, 2017
Good catch, Dave. I would have figured that one out while drilling and not seeing any aluminum shavings. But now I know for sure. It appears that my boat has a plastic (maybe teflon or starboard) "filler" or "chain slider" plate mounted to the fiberglass in the U shaped cutout in the hull. Not sure if that means anything, but I had planned on removing it prior to installing an anchor roller. Another H23.5 in my marina does not have this plastic slider.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
They instruct you to run the tap in an electric drill??? WOW.

Nov 12, 2017
Dave, I won’t be back at the boat for a better pic until the weekend, but I found this photo which may do. The plate I’m referring to is screwed down onto the fiberglass. You can make out the piece. It is perhaps 3/8” thick and fits perfectly into the anchor roller cutout.
88CF1619-6CA8-4346-9512-C1C5F96032BC.jpeg

Nov 12, 2017
Here’s a close up pic of the “slider”. Anyone ever seen one of these? This is where an anchor roller would normally attach on the front of the H23.5

1C06F1BB-16C6-4C00-8B4E-20BB1B0A87BE.jpeg

Feb 18, 2011
Hunter 260 Cave Run Lake, KY
That is not original- somebody added that instead of a roller. You will need to remove it if you install a real bow roller.