new boat

Sep 5, 2016
McGregor Venture222 Denver area
US Yacht 25. Just picked this up today for 2500.00. I will have to replace all running rigging and halyards, and replace the boards the chain plates are attached to. Is there anything else I should keep an eye out for?

Attachments

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
What lake did it come out of? Has the standing rigging ever been replaced? On boats of this age I spend money first to replace standing rigging. If the mast falls it can kill someone. If a halyard or sheet fail, sails flap around and make a lot of noise and you start the engine. I'm sure you know how to look for stains on the interior liner at the deck penetrations inside and rebed as required.

Fix the major stuff and go sailing. You will find more things to repair for the rest of the boats life with you.

Sep 5, 2016
Standing rigging is in good shape, that is one of the first things i went over. Just curious if any previous or present owners might have some input. Also, it came off of the Pueblo Reservoir.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
"Replace boards the chainplates are attached to."

Why? Are they rotted, or delaminated? From the pic, it looks like the varnish on the bulkheads may be flaking off on starboard side. If there is also punky wood or delamination, yes, replacement is warranted. But if it just needs cosmetic attention... If you've got leaking at chainplates, resealing at deck is warranted. If there was leaking, check for any wet core in the deck (if there is core.) It's possible you'd need to address that before resealing chainplates.

With most older boats, looking for wet core in the deck is something needed.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Knot4Sail
With a roller style trailer I wanted to make a few remarks. I assume you have a safety chain on the winch stand to the bow eye? If not suggest you put one on. I would always suggest that the winch strap if not cable be replaced if old. Put a strap over the transom and wind it around twice to keep it from slapping and angled when attaching to the trailer somewhat forward a little for safety should anything on the bow eye fail for any reason to keep the boat from sliding off backwards as you are on rollers. Also, suggest tying the winch strap handle too. When launching, keep a firm hand on the winch handle and keep your face from it as well. I know you already know all this but sometimes a reminder to me helps as well. great looking boat at a good price. Fair winds and smooth sailing

Sep 5, 2016
Yes, wet core around windows. right now we are replacing the wet wood in the floor. After we get new floor put in, we are going to address the wet core issues. Just a hole in the water to throw money into.

Sep 5, 2016
Yes, I remember my first roller trailer, and the almost broken wrist from winch handle, LOL. As for strapping the boat to trailer, I have been using 2- 4" straps. One across the bow just in front of cabin, and one over the back just behind the cabin cinched down to the frame. also, yes there is a safety chain under the winch.