New Beneteau 40 owner

Jun 13, 2011
Catalina 30 San Diego, CA.
Hi everyone,

I am under contract on a 2008 Beneteau Oceanis 40, I'm really excited to take delivery of her! There are a few minor cosmetic issues I would like to address and haven't found any answers online. The first is the clear plastic on the cabin top where the port lights are installed. The black paint around the edges is fading, which isn't unusual from what I have seen. has anyone come across a good paint solution for that? Also, on the stern there are two plastic covers (I think they are vents) that are loosing their paint or gel coast and yellowing. Same question, any paint or gel coat suggestions?

Thank you in advance!

Attachments

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Hi Aaron,
The first picture looks like you might beable to address with the products used to revive automotive headlights
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...VWbXACh2jnwrlEAQYBCABEgLs5_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Like PlastX from any automotive store.

The second picture might clean up with Oxi-Clean, maybe bleach or SoftScrub. Try mixing some oxi-clean with a little water, spread it over the area, place wet paper towels over it to keep it evenly wet and cover that with plastic wrap to keep it from drying out. Let it soak overnight, as long as you can. I do it with SoftScrub on my white glasstop stove, works great. I use the Oxi-Clean successfully on plastic cutting boards and white brushes that get yellow and dirty.

I don't think you should need to re gel coat or paint.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Jun 13, 2011
Catalina 30 San Diego, CA.
Thanks Will! I'll look into your recommendations and post what I end up doing.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
If Will's suggestions aren't satisfactory, I would use interlux 2 part epoxy primer, then 2 part epoxy paint. Test a small area first to make sure that the paint is compatible with the acrylic lens. Beneteau actually advises using readily available canned spray paint from any hardware or home improvement store. On the plastic covers, if they are hard plastic, I would paint them with the 2 part epoxy. If it's a soft flexible material and it really detracts from the appearance of the boat, I would take them to an auto body shop; perhaps they can spray them with a flexible paint that's use on car bumpers.
Congratulations on the new boat purchase; hope everything works out. Be sure to register for Beneteau's spare parts online store. You should be able to find the plastic covers there and can compare the cost of painting vs new.